Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Not leaving water out overnight???
Previous  1  2

cbsp

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 12:18 am
Rappel wrote:
When is the last time you found a viper in your washing cup?

This halacha was good common sense, back in the day. But since neither you nor I live in a goatskin tent, I'm pretty sure we're safe. I do know people whom live in tents and caves, and when I visit, the standard pattern of living is quite different.

Rabbi Reisman spoke about this in his Navi shiur some years ago. He brought it as an example for the concept of "lo plug" - a scenario where the original reason given for a particular mitzvah/din no longer seems to apply but we are still obligated to abide by the restrictions.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 12:46 am
Love my Takeya water bottle.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 12:46 am
Back in the day, water wasn't chlorinated either.

Rappel

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 4:20 am
cbsp wrote:
Rabbi Reisman spoke about this in his Navi shiur some years ago. He brought it as an example for the concept of "lo plug" - a scenario where the original reason given for a particular mitzvah/din no longer seems to apply but we are still obligated to abide by the restrictions.

Which is a non-universal, hashkafic concept.

Goldie613

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 10:05 am
Got sidetracked by life and hadn't realized that more people had responded. Thank you all for your thoughts.

So it seems like some posters hold by the idea of spirits, a number have bug/snake concerns, and there are different thoughts re if this is still a thing today. Lol, does that about sum it up? ;-)

So for those who say that it is a concern today, what do people do in terms of things like pitchers of water on a table or glasses of water at a simcha? Or a pot of water on the stove? Does the fact that there is a fire under it change the calculations? I assume for that last one at least snakes wouldn't be an issue, as I would assume the fire would keep them away, but what about for those who say it's an evil spirit concern?

And why does at night seem to be more of a concern than leaving water out during the day?

Thanks!

pizza4

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 10:12 am
While we're at it, what about open bottles of water in the fridge? Is anyone makpid to cover the liquid in the fridge?
I'm asking because I remember hearing someone say this.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 11:38 am
I cover everything. I’m not a big believer in unseen sheidim, but urban children like me know that our homes teem with unseen wildlife of the six-, four-, eight-, and many-legged varieties (maybe legless ones, too, depending on location) just waiting for darkness to fall so they can investigate the critter-food cafeterias known as our kitchens.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics