Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
A different kind of brag
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:10 am
I have no one to share this with irl but I'm truly truly proud of myself and wanted to tell someone! (I usually seek recognition, healthy or not, so it's been even harder to accomplish.)

Ever since HS when I started wearing makeup I struggled with not putting it on on Shabbos and unfortanutely more times than not, I failed. Hiding what I was doing was not always an easy feat but when there's a will there's a way Sad I would try so hard to stop but could not handle what I looked like (even with all the primers and sprays) by Shabbos morning. And 3 day YTs? Forget about it! I was smart though, would only put on very little but enough to not look dead.

This is something I continued even after I got married. Once in a while I'd be ok with how I woke up but if not? On went a little bronzer and mascara (both go a looong way on me - I go from a 4 to a 7 with makeup).

Anyways, I woke up the first day of YT and really really didn't want to mess up again...and I didn't! I pushed through! Even though I had to see more people than usual! I wanted to tell someone but obviously couldn't (my husband has no clue). Then I thought hey I can tell Imamother. And that (probably unhealthy need for recognition) got me through the second day of YT too! So thank you!

(I'm aware of Shabbos makeup. I never really looked into it because I was too embarrassed to ask my Rav about it and my husband would tell me I look totally fine Shabbos morning, why do something bedieved...if only he knew...)

Aylat

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:14 am
Well done! Awesome start to the year!

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:15 am
Well done!

chasdie Hashem

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:17 am
Woooww!!!!!keep it up!!

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:17 am
Wow, good for you!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:29 am
Yay you! Keep it up, the confidence in your actions will show more prominently, adding to your beauty.
(Have you tried dyeing your eyelashes?)

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:43 am
im so proud of you. a fellow struggler.

honeymoon

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:46 am
Good for you! Keep it up!

I just want to add that wanting recognition for doing something difficult is not unhealthy. It's human.

weasley

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:46 am
Wow I'm truly impressed with your self control! May it stand you in good stead for the new year!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:59 am
Pat yourself on your back! That is an impressive feat! I’m sure Hashem is very proud of you too.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 3:09 pm
I'd just like to add for those who struggle with picking at cuticles (and it's actually called dermatillomania) I had such a revelation this past Shabbos. Usually I moisturize face, feet, so hands end up getting some. I realized that on Shabbos my hands were drier than usual and this was making cuticles subject to getting ragged.

I saw in one halacha paper that maybe we don't put on oil normally on a healthy person, but I told DH, we sure do, we put on moisturizer & oil would just be a Shabbos-friendly substitution. He felt it was ok, AYLOR. But I feel like I was very succcessful over YT (ok, I usually do manage on RH) and I hope I can keep it up.

Hatzlacha to all!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 3:11 pm
Go girl, OP!

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 3:19 pm
Kol ha kavod! Very normal to want a pat on the back:)

Sleepymama

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 1:17 pm
Thanks for sharing your strength with us! It really helps me grow when people share victories over our yezter haras. We should do more of this here!

Question -I had no idea that shabbos make-up is bedieved!
Is this the standard opinion?

seeker

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 6:44 pm
Thank you for sharing! We need more strength like this.

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 6:47 pm
That's amazing! Good for you! Keep it up!
I used to struggle with that, boruch Hashem it's been 8 years since!!!!

As for shabbos makeup, it's easy to find some info online. Shaindee cosmetics sells it and describes exactly how to use it.

feigeleh

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 6:47 pm
I’ve done dyeing+perming eyelashes and it looks just like mascara minus the clumps. Why not reward your success on this challenge before yomtov?

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 10:17 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I'd just like to add for those who struggle with picking at cuticles (and it's actually called dermatillomania) I had such a revelation this past Shabbos. Usually I moisturize face, feet, so hands end up getting some. I realized that on Shabbos my hands were drier than usual and this was making cuticles subject to getting ragged.

I saw in one halacha paper that maybe we don't put on oil normally on a healthy person, but I told DH, we sure do, we put on moisturizer & oil would just be a Shabbos-friendly substitution. He felt it was ok, AYLOR. But I feel like I was very succcessful over YT (ok, I usually do manage on RH) and I hope I can keep it up.

Hatzlacha to all!

I have the hardest time with the skin on my fingers/nails! Just this shabbos there was this huge piece and I struggled with not picking it off. Wasn't successful. What should I do?

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 5:26 am
Thank you for sharing this! The first time is the hardest. I still remember the first time I left the light on over Shabbos (as I was becoming a baalas tshuva).

Hashem must have granted you with special Shabbos grace so you still looked beautiful to everyone.

It isn't a brag, it's a success story.

mommy9

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 6:30 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I have the hardest time with the skin on my fingers/nails! Just this shabbos there was this huge piece and I struggled with not picking it off. Wasn't successful. What should I do?

Put a band aid on over it. That's what I do
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur