Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What does living out of town mean?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 3:47 pm
Is monsey out of town? What other places are considered out of town?
Where is a nice out of town area to move to with kids?

Ruchel

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 5:12 pm
outside of paris, london, etc

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 7:37 pm
Monsey is definitely in town. I think the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) is considered “in-town” (although there may be places within these areas that feel out town).

You really have to decide what you want in your “out of town” area. Your hashkafa, what chinuch options there are for kids (and adults), amount of Jewish infrastructure. There are some places in the Midwest, but it really depends on what you want.

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 8:58 pm
FL,

HonesttoGod

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 9:00 pm
Officially out of town is anything not in town.
So anything out of the town border of London is out of town.

According to NYers it’s basically anything that’s not tri state (so any place that isn’t Brooklyn/five towns/nyc, Lakewood and Monsey).

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 10:01 pm
Brooklyn, but only certain areas eg BP, Willi, CH IOW the charedi areas. Maybe Flatbush. Lakewood and environs e.g. Toms River, Jackson. Monsey and environs. That's it. Queens is not. Manhattan is not. Edison and Elizabeth are not. The Bronx is definitely not. Staten Island isn't even on the map although with all the Chasidim moving there it may soon be.

So there you have it. Lakewood, parts of Brooklyn, and Monsey.

Those who say that within city limits is in-town and outside is out of town, you're right in the secular sense but completely wrong in the charedi world sense.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:04 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Brooklyn, but only certain areas eg BP, Willi, CH IOW the charedi areas. Maybe Flatbush. Lakewood and environs e.g. Toms River, Jackson. Monsey and environs. That's it. Queens is not. Manhattan is not. Edison and Elizabeth are not. The Bronx is definitely not. Staten Island isn't even on the map although with all the Chasidim moving there it may soon be.

Those who say that within city limits is in-town and outside is out of town, you're right in the secular sense but completely wrong in the charedi world sense.

Ummmm....I’m really scratching my head here 🤔

I’ve lived both in town and OOT, and I’m not sure what you’re defining as “in town”, but I think most people define it as “wherever NY mishegas prevails” and EVERYWHERE in NYC is “in town” (not Flatbush?? Are you kidding?), all of NY in general with different flavors (Chareidi in-town for most of Brooklyn, etc, and MO nonsense for five towns and Teaneck), Lakewood of course. I mean....are you Chassidish? Do you define “in town” as where Chassidish people live?

Even some parts of places like Baltimore have been totally taken over by ex-NYers. And it sucks.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:15 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:

I live in lkwd but im going to have to disagree with this post. Toronto and Chicago can't exactly be considered OOT.. and there are definitely others im not thinking of...

professor

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:15 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:

Haha very well explained lol

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:18 pm
Living in a small jewish community with only 1 school, limited high school options, and expensive kosher food.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:21 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I live in lkwd but im going to have to disagree with this post. Toronto and Chicago can't exactly be considered OOT.. and there are definitely others im not thinking of...

Toronto is not (because it's out of the US), but Chicago is thought of as out of town by NYers and lakewooders.

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:24 pm

Correct, OOT, as used on Ima, is NY centric.

Nobody in Toronto says they live "out of town" unless they are talking to a New Yorker.

amother
White

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:27 pm

I would say they are still considered "OOT", though not as OOT as smaller places. They're still not like Brooklyn or Lakewood.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:30 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
I would say they are still considered "OOT", though not as OOT as smaller places. They're still not like Brooklyn or Lakewood.

OOT basically means not from NY or
Lakewood. It doesn't literally mean out of town. It really means not-from-the-largest-chareidi-centers-in-the-US.

I love OOT!

amother
White

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:33 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
OOT basically means not from NY or
Lakewood. It doesn't literally mean out of town. It really means not-from-the-largest-chareidi-centers-in-the-US.

I love OOT!

Yes, I know what it means. I am from one of the larger OOT cities mentioned, and I now live in a smaller town. I've also lived in Lakewood. Totally different kinds of places!

nylon

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:48 pm
I'm chuckling that only the chareidi/RW areas count. PLENTY of other areas have just the same shtick and many are mixed anyway like FR/5T.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 12:04 am
Passaic

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 12:49 am

Of course Chicago is oot!! And Toronto is as well, although not as much

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 12:55 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Of course Chicago is oot!! And Toronto is as well, although not as much

Of course, of course. If your center of life is New York.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 1:22 am
Anyone outside of Jerusalem, Beitar, or Beit Shemesh. Smile
In the USA I was brought up to believe in town is anything in NJ and NY that has a large population of Jews. So upstate NY is OOT.

Not sure about Baltimore, Passaic, and Chicago. I've been too all 3 many many years ago. And I don't know what they are considered anymore. Either way I'm from a really small OOT place originally. Like 100 families...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics