Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
So worried. Child going to need a blood test every week for

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 2:41 am
3 months.
Help

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 2:45 am
Hashem should help you should only get good results & your child should be healthy and well

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 2:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
3 months.
Help

I'm sorry. Would you like to share why?
I have one who needs a blood test every 3 months, indefinitely. It's not the same but I feel your pain.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 4:02 am
my child needed weekly and sometimes twice weekly labs until he was 17. it becomes routine. he survived and did we. children do alot better than adults for the most part. hang in there!

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 6:19 am
My child gets bi-weekly shots and regular labs. She is a drama queen. Technicians all agree she deserves an Oscar for each performance. But it has definetly gotten easier over time.
I do give a small nosh after each appt.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:00 am
It’s only hard the first few times. After it becomes routine and your child will realize that if the technician is good it really doesn’t hurt, just annoying

If your child is the right age you can make a weekly chart and he/she can get something at the end of the week

banana123

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:04 am
We have a tradition that after blood tests/ other tests, if you cooperated, you get to choose a treat. There's a bakery near our lab, so we stop there to get chocolate milk/ burekas/ whatever the kid wants. But only if they cooperate. (We double appointments a lot of times, so sometimes one kid will get a treat and another won't...)

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:12 am
children will read into your anxiety. if you play it down that it is only 12 times and count down, chances are it wont be a bigger.

tweety1

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:36 am
I remember we had a teacher who had an unwell child and often spoke abt it. She mentioned she used a numbing cream. Refuah Shleimah and hope you only get good results. Will be davening for you child.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:47 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
my child needed weekly and sometimes twice weekly labs until he was 17. it becomes routine. he survived and did we. children do alot better than adults for the most part. hang in there!

Thanks for sharing.
Full disclosure - we’ve been doing this almost weekly for about 8 months already, though it was officially supposed to be once monthly. But now it’s official once a week. I must say he’s handling it beautifully (3 yo) but I’m freaking out bec it’s getting increasingly harder to find a vein. No worries though, when I sit in the lab with him I’m totally calm & relaxed & we always make it a fun trip.
But really, what will be here? Such abused veins already Sad

singleagain

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 11:02 am
I don't know if this will help. But it was on shark tank and seems to have really good reviews

Buzzy Mini Personal Striped - Pain relief for first aid, injections, aches, injuries, and more https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004.....4Q629

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 11:27 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Hashem should help you should only get good results & your child should be healthy and well

Amen! Thanks. I need this...

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:53 pm
Use emla/lidocaine cream, apply half hour before and cover with tegaderm until the blood draw, child won't feel a thing. Hydrate VERY well before, use warming packs prior to sticking. Find the best techinician in the hospital (nicu, transport, anesthesia are usually the best pros at this). Use buzzy bee https://buzzyhelps.com/product.....w_wcB

use cbd prior as a relaxant, and of course bribe bribe bribe. good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics