Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
WWYD?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 7:50 pm
We found a location that may be a very good fit for us. We need to do more research, but it sounds very promising.

The one thing that bothers me is that the main Bais Yaakov and yeshiva require that their parent body place a Machane Kadosh filter on all devices.

My DH and I currently have Gentech filters on our phones, set up by TAG. Neither of us really has much on them, but we both have our personal e-mails. I also have WhatsApp, connected to a Google Voice account (and not my regular phone number), which I use exclusively for a few family chats.

On our laptops, we both have Techloq filters that are pretty strict, but we both have specific YouTube pages/channels that are allowed, as well as sports. Oh, and one big thing - Imamother (which I don't have enabled on my phone).

I'm pretty sure that the Machane Kadosh filter would be much stricter than the ones I have, specifically with regard to Imamother and other sites we use for entertainment, as well as WhatsApp.

I am not the kind of parent that would get a separate phone- it's a terrible message to the kids and totally unethical. We are yeshivish and would really only consider these schools.

If it's a great location in other ways, WWYD?

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 7:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We found a location that may be a very good fit for us. We need to do more research, but it sounds very promising.

The one thing that bothers me is that the main Bais Yaakov and yeshiva require that their parent body place a Machane Kadosh filter on all devices.

My DH and I currently have Gentech filters on our phones, set up by TAG. Neither of us really has much on them, but we both have our personal e-mails. I also have WhatsApp, connected to a Google Voice account (and not my regular phone number), which I use exclusively for a few family chats.

On our laptops, we both have Techloq filters that are pretty strict, but we both have specific YouTube pages/channels that are allowed, as well as sports. Oh, and one big thing - Imamother (which I don't have enabled on my phone).

I'm pretty sure that the Machane Kadosh filter would be much stricter than the ones I have, specifically with regard to Imamother and other sites we use for entertainment, as well as WhatsApp.

I am not the kind of parent that would get a separate phone- it's a terrible message to the kids and totally unethical. We are yeshivish and would really only consider these schools.

If it's a great location in other ways, WWYD?

Find out if indeed Machane Kodesh filter doesn't have the flexibility you want. You should get information rather than make assumptions. You may find you are ok with that filter.

STovah

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 8:25 pm
Your phones would be ok under Machane Kadosh - I have the Gentech filter with whatsapp and email. You would not have access to anything on YouTube on your home computer under Machane Kadosh.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 12:40 am
STovah wrote:
Your phones would be ok under Machane Kadosh - I have the Gentech filter with whatsapp and email. You would not have access to anything on YouTube on your home computer under Machane Kadosh.

Would they allow that level, though? I believe my filter is through Machane Kadosh, but my friend told me that the school doesn't want WhatsApp.

That is going to be a big issue with the laptop. Both of us need it for work. What to do?

Mothers

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:01 am
Gentech filters have different levels, and Machane Kadosh is extremely restrictive. I agree that it is a good idea to go down and meet with them and find out exactly what would be allowed. Also, if you need your laptop for work, you may be able to meet with an affiliated Rav and get an exemption from some of the restrictions.

Edited to add: Kudos to you for not getting a second - unreported - phone (as so many people do). As you noted, it really does send a very negative message to your kids, besides being unethical.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating