Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Electric Hot plata

esther990

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 10:02 pm
Which one is the safest/best? Thank you.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 10:32 pm
IsraHeat

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 10:41 pm
I had a fire with my hotplate a few weeks ago. Baruch hashem I was right there and put it out!! I bought now a griddle, I hope it is safer

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 11:02 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I had a fire with my hotplate a few weeks ago. Baruch hashem I was right there and put it out!! I bought now a griddle, I hope it is safer

Boruch Hashem you were right there! That is scary.

What brand? How did the fire occur? Was it on a timer?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 1:04 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Boruch Hashem you were right there! That is scary.

What brand? How did the fire occur? Was it on a timer?

Not sure what brand. Was an Israeli one. It was Friday night. My husband was still in shul. It started smoking where the wire connects to the hotplate. I unplugged it and shut the fire. (Was allowed according to halacha according to my house and situation...) I shudder to think what could have happened if and if and if...

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 4:29 am
I use a pancake griddle, and I set it on a timer so it's only on when I'm around.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 4:35 am
I don't like electric platas, I can never get them to work right. They either burn food, let food get moldy, or start to set fire.

I figured out that if I filled my crock pot with water, and set it on high, I could put an upside down cookie sheet on it (instead of the lid). Make sure the water is as hot as it can get before Shabbos, and then turn the heat to low just before candle lighting. It will still be hot to the touch Shabbos day, but not hot enough to burn your food.

I love heating over water, because the halachot are so much more lenient, and there's a lot more options to stir, take things on and off, and reheat.

Bonus, you have hot water ready after Shabbos, if you want to throw in your leftovers for soup.

yc

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 6:49 am
after having many problems with the cheap ones, I bought the 'madesafer' one
made in uk. they sell in israel (jerusalem and beit shemesh from what I know)
https://www.madesafer.co.uk/product/products/

etky

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:11 am
Am I the only poster who has used a regular Israeli-type plata every single week (for many decades) without any sort of problem?

tweety1

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:15 am
I'm following this thread. I need a new hot plate emergency and didn't get one yet cuz I don't know which one to get. I'm still waiting to see for more suggestions.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:18 am
etky wrote:
Am I the only poster who has used a regular Israeli-type plata every single week (for many decades) without any sort of problem?

The ones in America are China made and sell for very cheap. They can be very dangerous. We had a story years ago and now are very careful and spend the money for something reputable.

tweety1

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 11:09 am
ra_mom wrote:
The ones in America are China made and sell for very cheap. They can be very dangerous. We had a story years ago and now are very careful and spend the money for something reputable.

Are you saying the israheat isn't Chinese? I googled it. Unless I was looking at the wrong one, it looks pretty junky/unsafe. Maybe post a link to which one you have.

etky

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 12:04 pm
Most of the ones sold here are also made in China. There are only one or two companies that produce them in Israel and I have no idea if they are better made or not. They are all very cheap.
The important thing is to look for a תו תקן - certification that the appliance has met the safety standards of the Israeli standards institute and - just as important - to use it safely and with caution.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 12:14 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Are you saying the israheat isn't Chinese? I googled it. Unless I was looking at the wrong one, it looks pretty junky/unsafe. Maybe post a link to which one you have.

It is manufactured there but is made with the right safety regulations and you can plainly see with your eyes that it's solidly built. Have our for about 10 years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen