Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Help! Dd 4’7” struggling to see over car hood

hanna2010

Post Sat, Oct 05 2019, 9:37 pm
So after taking many driving lessons and much practice I took my 19 yr old daughter to an ot for a driving eval. Bottom line- she can’t see over the hood well enough.

We put a cushion under her but now her legs can’t reach pedals, so we move her seat all the way up. Problem is, her chest is practically up against the wheel.

We’ve looked into the options...
For (An as of yet) undetermined fee, a sensor can be put into the car so the airbag in the wheel will shut off when she drives. I’m told there are so many airbags around the seat so not the end of the world.
I’m still concerned, and having her chest right up against the wheel is unsafe as well.

We can have petal extenders put in, but then it goes on her license (as a handicapped fitted car) and forever, she will only be able to drive a car with them.

To complicate things, she’ll be sharing the cars with me and my husband. We really weren’t planning to purchase her own car.

We tried a friends small car and it’s a bit of a better fit, leaving just 7 inches from wheel to chest, which were told is safe enough to keep on airbag.

At this point, we’re trying to get info from other short adults, as to what they do.

TIA

hanna2010

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 11:19 am
Bump

cholentfan1

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 1:24 pm
I think some people don't like posting when they can't post anonymously.
I'm not tall but we have a mpv which has a very high driving position. This means I don't have the bonnet getting in the way of my driving. I have the seat most of the way forwards and because the seat sits higher, I can reach the pedals without having to squish (my not so thin stomach anymore) right against the steering wheel.
I know you said you didn't want to change cars, but I find my high driving position so much better than the ford I learnt to drive in.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 2:13 pm
I believe 4"7 is legally considered a midget.
I know someone 4"9 who has mentioned to me that is she is a borderline one or officially one.

Either way I'm sure you're not the only one dealing with this issue. I think if you googled midgets driving you would probably get some better solutions than imamother.

I feel like this entire post might come off as offensive. Really sorry. I have no idea how to phrase this nicer?

Good Luck!

Einikel

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 2:19 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
I believe 4"7 is legally considered a midget.
I know someone 4"9 who has mentioned to me that is she is a borderline one or officially one.

Either way I'm sure you're not the only one dealing with this issue. I think if you googled midgets driving you would probably get some better solutions than imamother.

I feel like this entire post might come off as offensive. Really sorry. I have no idea how to phrase this nicer?

Good Luck!

I believe that they like to be referred to as little people or dwarfs the term m.... is considered offensive

hanna2010

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 2:23 pm
Cholent fan, thank you for sharing. It’s helpful.

Love Hashem- no offense... were aware of her status as a small person. I’ve gone the route of meeting and discussing first with an ot and then with a company who fits cars for dwarves and midgets and others of short stature.

I’m now trying to gather info from those who who are actually very short to hear about their experience and what they find works for them.

A name of a car or model or any other insight is extremely helpful.

In any case, thanks loads for your response

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 2:24 pm
Einikel wrote:
I believe that they like to be referred to as little people or dwarfs the term m.... is considered offensive

I've heard that too. Can't Believe It I don't know anymore. The world is too PC for me. The person I know told me it's fine to say midgets. Also dwarfs make me think of Snow White...that sounds worse to me. Not sure why.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 2:27 pm
hanna2010 wrote:

Love Hashem- no offense... were aware of her status as a small person. I’ve gone the route of meeting and discussing first with an ot and

Awesome! Well I'm not familiar with you on this site...and you wouldn't believe how many people these days don't know how to do a basic google.

I would edit the OP to add you have looked into opinions and you're really only looking for firsthand experiences of people who have dealt with this personally.

Although if that's what you're looking for it will be awfully hard to find people willing to talk on a forum that you can't post anonymously.

cholentfan1

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 6:07 am
Also look at other cars-american cars are usually designed with verrrry long bonnets which will make it harder. Other european and in particular japanese will usually have much smaller ones, which will make it easier.
Btw I am about 5/6 inches taller than her, so it's not quite as much of a struggle.

gila-rina

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 7:40 am
OP, what type of car was she using to practice driving?

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 8:05 am
Can she lease a Honda CR-V or a Subaru Forester? Those cars are very easy for short people to drive.
Have her try one out before you decide if you want to invest so much to fix your car for her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics