Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Samsung fridge with led lighting/ what to do for shabos?

nechami1

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 6:36 pm
We just bought a new samsung fridge and now realize that it has a led lighting panel at the back of it which is activated using magnetic sensors when we open the fridge door....... Does anyone know of any way these can be deactivated so that there is no problem for shabos? I am from the uk remember so there is no shabos mode etc......
advice please?!!!! Otherwise we will need to return it......

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 6:38 pm
did you check the manual or contact the customer service centre to see if it can be de-activated?

nechami1

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 6:39 pm
not yet... we just opened it and its late at night here...so will have to call in the morning.
we were so intent on looking for a big enough fridge we just simply forgot to check the lighting....!!

My4Jewels

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 6:45 pm
My friend has it and apparently if you put 2 magnets someplace on the top it tricks the fridge to thinking the door is closed. Google it there's a you tube video about where to put the magnets.

Good luck!

nechami1

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 6:46 pm
ok will do - thanks. shame cos the led lights look really nice!!

3mitzvos

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 7:21 pm
Thanks for the magnet tip! My mother recently bought a fridge like this and she ended up buying another tiny fridge to keep all the shabbos food in. She'd definitely appreciate being able to use her regular fridge for Shabbos!!

3mitzvos

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 7:35 pm
Just did some research on the web and found this:

There is a way to "trick" Samsung French Door refrigerators, including the RF263AEWP, into thinking the doors are closed when they're not, which will cause the lights inside the refrigerator to remain off even when the doors are open. Here's how: 1) Find the two locations on the top of the plastic piece above the front of the refrigerator where the word 'switch' is embossed in raised letters. 2) Tape magnets just below these two locations, on the front of the plastic cover. Once both magnets are placed correctly, the lights will turn off. 3) The freezer lights are controlled by a button that gets compressed when the drawer is closed. The button is located on the left side of the freezer wall. Simply tape the button down during the Sabbath, and the lights will remain off.

It is important to note that if the refrigerator thinks the doors are closed when in fact they are open, the fan may come on with the door open and dissipate all the cold air from inside the unit. The magnets should be removed when Sabbath is over.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 7:41 pm
You may want to check with your rav if it's a problem because there are rabbonim who don't consider LED lights in the same category of "fire" as other types of light.

imalay

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 1:27 pm
And here is the answer: although it depends on your unit, start with this short clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QJ3lFbyra8

OK...so we have this nice woman from South Africa who moved into our BLDG, and brought a SAMSUNG INVERTER (fridge).
So I looked...the hinge wasn't the same. BUT, using my noodle (B"H) I took a magnet and went all around the FACE of the fridge, with door opened.
VOILA...there was a spot, TOP LEFT, and a slight added plastic (which I realized housed the magnetic switch behind it) I left the magnet there, and NO LIGHT.

Her problem.....and YOU MUST ASK A POSEK...is that these days, there are many magnetic switches in fridges. Ones for the fan, temp, lights, and WHO KNOWS what else?
I learned the hard way.....that UNSCREWING A BULB, doesn't ALWAYS STOP circuits from being connected & disconnected when the door opens.
DUCT TAPE ON THE SWITCH (our WHIRLPOOL ANYWAY) did the trick. BUT IF THE UNIT has magnetic switches that the magnetic seal on the door activates...even duct tape may not COMPLETELY be proper.
I will not preach.....but to GET UP TO SHAMAYIM...and find out by being lazy, SO MANY SHOGEGS...we will kick ourselves that for 30 seconds to speak with a repair rep, could be all we needed.

If you email me (not sure I am allowed to leave emails) I can video the fix for our neighbor's unit.

HATZLACHA and may we all be written for a year of SAFETY & SURETY in our Avidat Hashem.

imalay

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 1:30 pm
If you live in Israel (we are in RBS-Aleph) there are men who repair AMERICAN and EURO appliances, with MANY ANSWERS (ALL FRUM AND TELL THE LOCAL RABBIS HOW UNITS WORK). message me, and I will ask, if you give the model, unit, and question. OR I can give you their numbers.

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 1:38 pm
I didn't read the links. Do maybe this was mentioned. We bought special magnets for this problem. They were around $20. I think the appliance store provided them.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 3:54 pm
We have this fridge, and we realized right before Yom Tov that the light is an issue. Someone told us about the magnet trick, so we put Magna Tiles (a nice pile) on top of each door. It started beeping after a while, since the fridge "thought" that it had been left open. After Yom Tov, the company showed us that there are 2 buttons on the front panel, that, when pressed together for 7 seconds, turns on the Shabbos mode, but maybe only in Israel. 2 other families that have it, have a preprogrammed Shabbos timer, that's set for the next 30 years! I saw it advertised somewhere. It's amazing, since you don't have to remember to do anything before Shabbos /Yom Tov.
I wonder if you can have it installed
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics