Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
How to measure shiurim? Which foods.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:12 pm
Hi so we are away for Yom Kippur and might not have access to fridge space. I spoke to rov regarding shiurim and wondering what is a good way to measure 30 grams of food. For dry food I googled and found that it is about 2 tbsp or 1/8 cup measurement for 29 gram. Not sure about wet foods just yet.

Like if I have a banana, how to measure that in tbsp? Just an example.

Also, which foods are filling and dont necessarily need refridgerating? I rather avoid dairy and cant do nuts/nut butters.

Thanks!

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:15 pm
My husband always premeasured 1 oz shnaps
cups ( supposedly it’s the exact amount allowable ) with crushed snackers .

hodeez

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:16 pm
Last year I was told 1 grape every 8 minutes

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 12:07 am
Get a medicine cup, you know the size of a schnapps cup but with measurements. I’m remembering 9ml for liquid but I don’t know about food. Call a Rav and use a kitchen scale. If you drink every 9 minutes from the beginning you can get 3 liters in.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 1:41 am
The liquid is your cheekful

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 4:02 am
There are different opinions regarding amounts (ml, cc, volume) and timing for food and liquid, so please ask your Rav for the specifics. Don't rely on what people say on here.
I have the same Rav as I did previously for this same shaila, but because my situation is slightly different this time, I was given a different ml amount and timing for food and liquid (more lenient this time) than previously, and it was the same Rav! So it really depends.

mo5

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 4:59 am
Ruchel wrote:
The liquid is your cheekful

Which is individual and you Need to personally measure

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:03 am
Also, your original question, how to measure shiurim. Depending on the volume given to you by your Rav, you can go to a chad peami store and get small disposable containers of a certain measurement and prefill them before YK. I have 100 little containers (with lids!!!) to use for food measurements and another 100 or so of a different measurement for my liquid volume, also with lids. I plan to do some water and some juice for liquid (because this is what my Rav said I could do) and the others I'm going to put a mixture of protein, starch, fruit or veg in tiny quantities to sort of mimic my usual food intake through the day.
I also am going to wear my watch on YK (I usually forget to put it on) so that I can keep an eye on the times and know at which intervals I can eat/drink.
Hatzlacha & gmar chastima tova.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:36 am
Maybe small crackers?
Grapes
I guess almost anything that you can break up and fit into s schnapps cup
Even rice or potatoes...

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:59 am
I have a medical condition and will be doing this. I fill the cup with cheese and nuts and do Boost/Ensure for liquid.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur