Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Attention shaitel machers...

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:47 am
My newish wig that I was assured is straight and sleek really isn’t.
Recently I bought a hair iron and I figured I’ll try it on my wig since I don’t like it anyway.. what could happen?
Well it looks really good right after I do it! The thing is, it doesn’t last long (probably depending on the weather) and I find myself doing it over and over again to get the look I like.
My question is, am I ruining the wig with the heat of the iron? Will it start to look bad soon from all the ironing?

Last edited by lkwdlady on Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

cnc

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:19 am
Yes definitely

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:20 am
What product do you use with the iron?

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:15 am
Squishy wrote:
What product do you use with the iron?

What am I supposed to use?? I didn’t know I was supposed to use something!

Blessing1

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:29 am
The flat iron will ruin the wig. Especially when you don't use any heat resistant spray.
It'll ger burnt and split ends very fast.

Earnest

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 11:30 pm
Google 'Heat Protectant Spray' and buy online (Tresemme is a popular effective brand). Then spray it lightly through yr wig. (After de-tangling the wig/brushing it-Fluff it with one hand while spritzing with another- YouTube videos will give you an idea how to do it). Let it dry (cause ironing hair that's damp burns the hair). And, now that the hair is protected, re-comb it (no trace of tangle), section the wig with clips, set the temp of the iron to the low(er/est) setting to protect it from burning, and lightly run small sections thru the straightener ONE time (another protection), bit by bit, yr wig will be sleek again. Good luck.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 11:52 pm
Earnest wrote:
Google 'Heat Protectant Spray' and buy online (Tresemme is a popular effective brand). Then spray it lightly through yr wig. (After de-tangling the wig/brushing it-Fluff it with one hand while spritzing with another- YouTube videos will give you an idea how to do it). Let it dry (cause ironing hair that's damp burns the hair). And, now that the hair is protected, re-comb it (no trace of tangle), section the wig with clips, set the temp of the iron to the low(er/est) setting to protect it from burning, and lightly run small sections thru the straightener ONE time (another protection), bit by bit, yr wig will be sleek again. Good luck.

Thank you for this tip. I’ll look into a heat protectant product.
Do you think that by using this product it would also make the week sleek?
I was putting the iron on the highest temperature! Yikes! I only used it a few times but I hope I didn’t ruin my new shaitel!

karat

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 12:02 am
Is it one of the cheaper brand wigs?

I find those to have coarse hair.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 12:05 am
Are you also supposed to use a heat protectant spray when using a curling iron? I see it that way on youtube tutorials but no shaitel macher that ive used has ever used it when styling the wig on my head....

bamba

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 1:52 am
Straightening a wig should really only be done by a professional as it can really ruin your wig.
Make sure to only go over each piece of hair once.
No pulling the hair through over and over again- and don’t straighten it every few days without washing in between (if that makes sense)
When done well it really makes the wig look sleek and gorgeous!

PassionFruit

Post Fri, Oct 25 2019, 10:20 am
I like guardian angel by schvartzcup (funny spelling, I dont think that's right). Its a yellow spray bottle and protects up to 450 degrees. Use the iron on half heat. Use a good quality iron, with ceramic plates and ionic tech. Use heat as little as possible.
When washing, use hair masks to repair damage, prevent damage, and control frizz so less heat is necessary.

LittleMissMama

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 6:35 pm
I'm shocked that you didn't know an iron on high heat would damage a wig (or any hair) if used repeatedly and without a protective spray.

That said, if you really want the straight sleek look, perhaps look into a straightening treatment for your wig, through a professional. That might be better than using an iron over and over.

my mama

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 6:39 pm
I did a keratin blowout on my frizzy wig and I'm loving it. I've been out with it in the most humid days and it's still straight.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels