Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Yom Kippur fasting made easier?
1  2  Next

smile

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 2:47 am
I have read on here many pre-fasting tips and advices that are really useful.

Now what I am looking for is: advice and tips to help DURING the fast.
What do you do when you yourself or kids get e.g. headache, feeling unwell or really thirsty, hungry, dizzy ...
Anything really to help get through the day, when the fasting is not as easy.

bobeli

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 3:04 am
I know is not what you want to hear but if you prepare well (drink more 2 days before, eat grapes, drink grape juice and coconut water, eat light food the day before,etc) then you will feel fine.
During the fast use as less energy as possible, move little and sleep the most possible. Easy reading material helps pass the time

tf

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 3:13 am
Make sure to add something into the water you drink. Plain water flushes, so avoid it. Do not stuff yourself the day before. It makes you feel horrible the day of the fast. Unfortunately, for ppl who ABSOLUTELY need their coffee in the morning, I don't think there's anything to prepare.

sky

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 6:23 am
tf wrote:
Make sure to add something into the water you drink. Plain water flushes, so avoid it. Do not stuff yourself the day before. It makes you feel horrible the day of the fast. Unfortunately, for ppl who ABSOLUTELY need their coffee in the morning, I don't think there's anything to prepare.

Caffeine suppositories are amazing.
There are also otc Tylenol suppositories.
I take 2 caffeine over the course of the day and a Tylenol (or a combined). (I was told Tylenol is slightly problematic because you aren’t supposed to take medicine in Shabbos but on Yom Kippur if you know you will not feel well you can take it in advance)
They really give me a boost of energy and I feel better after taking.

Also drink a ton. I find Gatorade really helps. Best is to start 3 days in advance.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 7:56 am
I take an overdose of multi vitamins a day or 2 before
Also I use the slow release Advil made in Canada and sold privately in the USA

I find those things helpful although of course I get hungry...

smile

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:05 am
But what do you do if let's say some headache kicks in.
Do you smell something or do somethibg like acupressure?

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:10 am
smile wrote:

Take the slow release Advil. It works over 24 hours. If a headache comes which it probably won’t, you can use a Tylenol suppository.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:19 am
I take tylenol caffine suppositories as needed through the day, it does wonders.
I get new toys every yom kipper and give it to the kids in the afternoon when it gets harder to entertain them.

sky

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:21 am
smile wrote:

I know I get headaches so take Tylenol suppository in advance so it never has a chance to start.
If it does I get into bed.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:07 am
The only trick that helped me survive tisha b'av, was to basically spend the day on the couch and in bed.
I would prepare anything possible for kids the day before, like food, clothing, toys, so that I have to get up the least possible.
Nervous, but I know it passes after 1 day.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:20 am
I'm more nervous this year because I have a newborn bh that cries and wants to be held all day. I can't exactly spend the day in bed. I'm really nervous.

tf

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:27 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I'm more nervous this year because I have a newborn bh that cries and wants to be held all day. I can't exactly spend the day in bed. I'm really nervous.

On a fast day only nurse when You need it. Other times give bottles. After yomtov continue as before. It helps you save energy while giving the baby what it needs.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:53 am
Bh baby takes bottles but just wants to be held all day. He doesn't sleep much by day and cries when he's up.

sky

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:05 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:

Try to take it easy. Nap when baby naps. Nurse laying in bed. Cuddle with newborn in bed. Hold while reading on couch. Bundle in carriage and rock with your feet up. If weather is nice sit outside with baby in carriage.
Don’t try to do anything other then fast and care for baby.
Have good reading material in the house.
Have 1-2 ready made bottles as back up for end of day or that night or next morning until milk is strong again. Most babies until 4-6 months can be coaxed to take bottle even if exclusively nursing.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:11 am
And I'm going into my ninth month a day after yk. With a a bunch of little kids ages 10 and down 2 yrs apart I'm also very very nervous.

sky

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:19 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
And I'm going into my ninth month a day after yk. With a a bunch of little kids ages 10 and down 2 yrs apart I'm also very very nervous.

New toys and books
Great snacks (pekalach)
Filling lunch (cholent or deli)

(I love how I have so much advise - I’m plenty nervous myself. It’s easier to try to solve others problems before your own.

My plan is to spend most of day on couch supervising playing.
Nap when baby naps (hopefully 3 yr old will lay in bed with me and read books).
Nurse baby as little as possible. He really only needs first 2 feedings. He’s big so may skip rest of day and just do food and water cups. But he can be demanding.
Lots of books on couch.
Exciting snacks spread through out day.
Cholent with hot dogs
Lebens and lentil yogurts.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:03 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I take an overdose of multi vitamins a day or 2 before
Also I use the slow release Advil made in Canada and sold privately in the USA

I find those things helpful although of course I get hungry...

Where can I purchase the slow release Advil? I live in the NY metro area. Thanks!

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:37 am
my baby is one week short of a year and still nurses a ton, I'm nervous...

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:45 am
I know op asked for ideas during the fast, but I couldn't resist.
To those of you who are pregnant or nursing get yourself Shaklee performance and start drinking from it today. It hydrates the body better than water!
It has changed the way I feel on fast days.
Hatzlucha and an easy fast to all!

artz

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:51 am
you can get the time release fasting pills they come in caffeine, tylenol, and ibuprofen you take it before the fast and it starts to release 8-10 hours after and goes throughout the whole day. I have been using them for years. It comes from the toronto kollel but it is sold in brooklyn.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur