Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
A realistic israeli diet for a family on the daily
Previous  1  2  3

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:17 am
http://www.pennilessparenting.com is israel based and has lots of recipes on her site.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 11:18 am
OP, in case you live in or close to charedi population please visit their supermarkets and yarkanim. You will get best value for your money. If you can get your hands on their sales advertising than it is even better.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 11:37 am
Here are some things I'm planning to make this week iy"H, maybe something will sound good?

mushroom barley soup (made with carrots and if I have time to check it, kale added at the last minute)
corn-tomato-basil salad
shredded zucchini pashtida
fall fruit salad (apples + whatever fruit is cheap and juicy)
roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and red onions
red lentil & butternut squash soup
pita pizzas

I'm not in Israel but I used to live there and I think everything above should be reasonable to make.

banana123

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 12:41 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Here are some things I'm planning to make this week iy"H, maybe something will sound good?

mushroom barley soup (made with carrots and if I have time to check it, kale added at the last minute)
corn-tomato-basil salad
shredded zucchini pashtida
fall fruit salad (apples + whatever fruit is cheap and juicy)
roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and red onions
red lentil & butternut squash soup
pita pizzas

I'm not in Israel but I used to live there and I think everything above should be reasonable to make.

How do you do the roasted veggies? I think I must be doing it all wrong, no one ever likes them. TMI

Teomima

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 6:29 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Any good recipes for stir fry, quiche, or your lasagna?

For stir fry I use whatever veggies available. The secret though is the brown sauce: sesame oil, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce, chili flakes, and just a dash of vinegar. Cook for flavors to combine, add a cornstarch slurry to thicken.

For quiche I sautee up some onion and chopped chard, drain and add garlic, salt, eggs, and cheese (a combination of yellow and salty cheeses). Then bake till done.

For the veggie lasagna, I make long thin slices of the vegetables then season and bake till mostly tender. I layer it like any lasagna, the veggies along with lasagna noodles (or in place of noodles, if I'm making it gluten-free), tomato sauce, yellow and cottage cheeses, cover and baked till done.

spikta

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:24 pm
I feel you OP, American frugal cooking is totally non frugal in Israel.
I blogged about frugal cooking in Israel for several years, check out bishulbezol.blogspot.com

I don't update it anymore (kids...), but there are about 200 recipes there, and tons of tips.
It's in Hebrew, but google translate is usually decent for the recipes themselves, and I always emails/comments if people have questions.

What helps is general is to get away from the typical American meal of meat or chicken straight up as a main dish, and some veggies and starch as sides. Instead, you use the more expensive proteins sparingly, and bulk the dish up with veggies, grains and legumes. So that leads to a lot of stews, soups, stir fries, sauces over grains or noodles, casseroles, etc.
I get inspiration from a variety of ethnic cuisines by checking out random blogs and cookbooks. I'm on a Persian kick right now, I did a bunch of Turkish food a couple of months ago, I found a great blog about food from Azerbaijan... Some of the recipes are treif, but less than you'd think. Certainly less than American recipes that use a ton of bacon and meat+milk. They use grains and legumes in interesting and inspiring ways, not in a "I'm poor so I need to eat boring beans" way.

spikta

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:29 pm
I just realized the most recent posts are more wordy and less recipes...
I'd start by checking out the main dishes tag:
http://bishulbezol.blogspot.co.....D7%AA

champion

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:17 am
Here are some of my suppers.
antipasti veggies with tofu (garlic, eggplant, peppers, onions, zucchini, sweet potatoe with lots of olive oil and yummy spices)- save any leftover veggies for homemade pizza
orange soup (מרק כתום) with orange lentils
The night I made this I pealed some extra vegetables and ground them into burgers. I froze them all and pulled them out one night with tuna fish.
homemade pizza with lots of vegies on top (I buy the shredded cheese and it last longer than a chunk)
quinoa patties with ground veggies and salted cheese
sloppy joe made from ground beef/chicken with veggies hidden inside
shabbos cooking is thursday and my kids eat omelets and salad and sunday is leftover night.

strawberry cola

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:12 am
See if you can get hold of Israeli Cooking on a Budget by Sybil Zimmerman. It was published in the 70s and has the kind of recipes you are looking for.

heidi

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:17 am
What is swiss chard in Hebrew?

Teomima

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:18 am
heidi wrote:
What is swiss chard in Hebrew?

Mangold

etky

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:32 am
Teomima wrote:
Mangold

sometimes they're labelled עלי סלק too.

etky

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:54 am
strawberry cola wrote:
See if you can get hold of Israeli Cooking on a Budget by Sybil Zimmerman. It was published in the 70s and has the kind of recipes you are looking for.

Lol. I have the book but it's been out of print for years.
I got it when we first made aliya in 1980 and actually used to cook with it a lot, in those pre-internet days.
It is not really so relevant anymore however.
It is from an era when variety was very limited here.
For example basic vegetables that we take for granted now - stalk celery, broccoli, iceberg lettuce - were not available.
Dairy products were basic too- nothing like the immense variety that we enjoy now.
Eshel, Leben, Gvina Levana and Cottage cheese ruled the Israeli kitchen. There were about 3 or 4 types of yellow cheese and that's it. Cream cheese was a huge luxury.
Meat was insanely expensive and chicken was pretty costly too.
Quite a few of the recipes contain something called SVP - structured vegetable protein - dry chips that you reconstituted in water and used as a meat subsitute.
I enjoy leafing through the book when I get nostalgic for simpler times and I still make one or two recipes from it, but I don't think there would really be a point to OP trying to acquire it now, when there is so much information available on line.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking