Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
What do you think of frum, female artists who put out a CD?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:03 am
What’s your honest, unbiased, not PC opinion? Do you think it’s ok to broadcast your voice (with a kol isha disclaimer)? Do you find that the talent measures up to secular entertainment? Do you think they are brave? Do you think they are embarrassing themselves? Do you think they should limit themselves to private performances?

I’m interested in all kinds of thoughts, but please refrain from using any specific names.
Anon because this is something I’m looking into.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:10 am
My opinion is kol hakavod!

It says on the CDs that they are for women only. If men choose to listen, it's their own sin.

shmosmom

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:11 am
I feel like YASSSSS QUEEN!
Honestly, I love it, I admire it.
Don't know if I'd specifically buy an album, because I don't necessarily buy any albums. DH takes care of keeping the car (we share) stocked and he wouldn't buy something he wouldn't listen to.
Regarding the kol isha factor-I had a CD from a frum female artist as a teen. My father (who is plenty frum) would tell me I should just play it in my room when he's home, or if I was playing it in the kitchen to lower the volume. He said it's not a real issue because it isn't live but he was machmir not to listen to recordings either.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:17 am
I don't think much about it. As long as the CD has the kol isha disclaimer, let them put it out. I don't know if the talent measures up to secular entertainment, because I don't listen to secular music. But what does that have to do with female singers? How are male singers more professional?
I'm very frum, and chassidish and I see absolutely no problem with putting out a CD whether you're male or female. I don't think that the singer is embarrassing themselves or that it should be private or anything like that any more than I would think it by a male artist. It's just annoying that the CD can only play when my husband isn't listening because he wouldn't listen to it. I'm not an earbud kind of person...
I wouldn't buy it because I'm totally broke and using my money for other things. But if I would be buying a CD I wouldn't choose one over the other based on the gender of the singer (unless it's for the car)

BadTichelDay

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:19 am
allthingsblue wrote:

It says on the CDs that they are for women only. If men choose to listen, it's their own sin.
THIS.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:22 am
I think it's awesome! I wouldn't necessarily buy the CD but I would and have listened to it on youtube. Not paskening from a halachic aspect but I feel like if G-d gives you a talent you should use it to inspire people or even just to cheer them up Smile In terms of concerts, I never go. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Why not reach people who don't go to concerts?

eta. Julia Bloom is the one who said it or rather sang it Wink hope it's ok to mention a particular singer Wink

singleagain

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:25 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I think it's awesome! I wouldn't necessarily buy the CD but I would and have listened to it on youtube. Not paskening from a halachic aspect but I feel like if G-d gives you a talent you should use it to inspire people or even just to cheer them up Smile In terms of concerts, I never go. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Why not reach people who don't go to concerts?

This. I actually remember that in a song by a frum female artist.

amother
White

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:26 am
amazing, we actually are looking into something very similar soon iy`H
I would buy yours I think

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:27 am
allthingsblue wrote:

This. Women are allowed to sing.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:32 am
My opinion depends on whether it's a good CD.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What’s your honest, unbiased, not PC opinion? Do you think it’s ok to broadcast your voice (with a kol isha disclaimer)? Do you find that the talent measures up to secular entertainment? Do you think they are brave? Do you think they are embarrassing themselves? Do you think they should limit themselves to private performances?

I’m interested in all kinds of thoughts, but please refrain from using any specific names.
Anon because this is something I’m looking into.

My honest unbiased not PC opinion is this post was incredibly cringeworthy
Most secular music is truly truly terrible, because there is so much of it and the bar to entry is low. Many singers rely heavily on autotune and get performing contracts because of their looks only.
Singing is an innate talent (like athletic ability) and I'm sure that being frum doesn't take away from it (although they may have less of a chance to develop their voice professionally and classically)

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:33 am
OP, why do you think that frum women's music would be a lesser quality than secular music? Is it that we have less talent, or less money for recording equipment?

Remember, some of the greatest songs in history were recorded in garages, or in cheap rented 8 track studios.

Joni Mitchell had such terrible stage fright, that she recorded her first album from the women's bathroom down the hall from the studio! She made them bring in all the equipment, run the cables, everything, and she hid behind the door. (It turns out that the reverb in there was better than anything you could get electronically back then.)

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:35 am
This has always been a dream of mine.

There are so few outlets for frum women to sing. If you have the talent, use it!

keym

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:36 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
My opinion depends on whether it's a good CD.

Agreed.
I once bought a CD (years ago). I had heard the singer at a concert and was amazed so I bought the CD. I was very underwhelmed by the back up singers and choir and was quite disappointed that I wasted my money.
But that was nothing specific about this singer or any female singer.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:36 am
I also want to add that there needs to be a Taylor Swift of frum music. The boys have the Maccabeats and 613, but what do the girls have to bop to? My DD loves to sing, and it would have meant a lot to her if she had a frum role model who was fresh and relatable.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:37 am
There are a lot more quality secular songs than quality frum songs, but that's because there are a lot more secular performers in total.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:38 am
I don't find they measure up honestly as a whole.
But then again I don't find the male singers measure up either; so go figure.
I do think it's slightly embarrassing when anyone - male or female puts out a song with lyrics a 3rd grader could of wrote with a tune that you've heard 5000 times before.

If you are interested I suggest you cultivate your own sense of style, and get someone creative and good to help write the songs.

Let's talk about the positives! Here's some people I think are really cool and unique:

Judith Gerzi: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/judithgerzi#
Julia Blum: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/juliablum (The famous Princess song)
Rivky Saxon: (Young teen who does a bit rock. I think she needs some more experience but she has potential) http://rivkysaxon.com/
Tofaah Band: https://www.tofaah-jewish-music.com/

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:42 am
I feel the same as I do about other Jewish music.

If it’s authentic, I like it. If they’re true to who they are and don’t pretend to be others. Not if they’re cheap imitations of others (Jewish or non Jewish).

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:45 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I do think it's slightly embarrassing when anyone - male or female puts out a song with lyrics a 3rd grader could of wrote with a tune that you've heard 5000 times before.

If you are interested I suggest you cultivate your own sense of style, and get someone creative and good to help write the songs.

You make good points, but this happens because frum singers are unable to cultivate their own sense of style if they are listening to only frum music, because it is the same type of stuff recycled over and over. My above response was referring to singing only, not songwriting/composing, which is a whole different topic.

Side note, I've always wondered, why is it okay for Bais Yaakov and other frum productions to use popular secular songs, set them to 3rd-grade level cringey lyrics, and pass that off as frum entertainment? Who are the sacrificial lambs who listen to the radio to gather ideas for new songs on their behalf to save the frum community from listening to them? A mystery...

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:49 am
In theory I think it is great. Unfortunately, the ones that I have heard are SO cringeworthy. I know it is wrong, but I have only listened to them as a spoof.
I don't know if it is because there is such a limited market that the budget is low and so is the bar. But unless I am unfamiliar with all the good ones, all I think is oy. The most recent one I heard was childish, redundant, and preachy. I wish I could say nice things as I think it is fabulous in theory, women should have the opportunity to share their G-d given gifts, and I myself am a no-talent and tone-deaf.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts