Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
What topics can a Jewish song be about?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 12:03 pm
What is considered an acceptable topic for a frum song?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 12:41 pm
Please not tnius, Kibud Av v'Em, or Lashon Hara.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 12:47 pm
Pain can only ever be mentioned in ththe context of (insert high pitched child solo) “but I know HaShem is watching me! This pain is here for a reason! Find the sunshine in the rain and daven daven cryyyyy... pour your heart out to the One Aboooove...”

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 12:54 pm
Love for Hashem, love for fellow man, love for children love for family love for parents love for this beautiful world
Simcha, confidence, strength, memories, youth, friendship, home,

Definitely a lot more than most secular, that write about 2 things love and s@x

bigsis144

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 12:56 pm
Maybe this makes me a worse Jewess, but sometimes I almost need my “bad mood” music NOT to mention HaShem.

Songs like Rachel Platten’s “Fight Song” or Superchick’s “Stand in the Rain” are internal motivation to get up and do something, rather than daven (I know that’s still “doing something”) and wait for a yeshua, you know? Or it’s a reassurance that I already possess the strength inside of me to face my fears or push through a hard situation.

Or just plain old angry music! Dovid HaMelech wrote “keili lama azavtani” and the few times I’ve heard it set to music it’s sad and whiny.

There’s something I like about songs with very imperfect perspectives, where the POV is flawed or petty or raging or vindictive. Like “I Knew You Were Trouble” by Taylor Swift or “Hope it Gives You H-ll” by All American Rejects.

This was rambling, sorry

Last edited by bigsis144 on Mon, Oct 07 2019, 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

sequoia

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 1:00 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:

Definitely a lot more than most secular, that write about 2 things love and s@x

Secular songs are also about patriotism, pets, the end of the world, family, death, time, space travel, and other topics. Even math Smile

But yeah, most pop songs are about s-x and are gross/explicit or justify verbal abuse.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 1:09 pm
Anything that's not about the relationship between a man and a woman.

EDIT: To be considered Jewish it needs to be written by G-d fearing jew.

Last edited by LovesHashem on Mon, Oct 07 2019, 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

bigsis144

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 1:22 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

But is the song "Jewish" then?

If a Jewish person wrote "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", would it be a Jewish song?
Are songs by Bob Dylan "Jewish"? Simon and Garfunkle?

The lyrics to this are by Jewish people and the singer (David Draiman) is Jewish (I taught his niece in a Bais Yaakov, he went to yeshiva high schools himself)

Last edited by bigsis144 on Mon, Oct 07 2019, 1:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 1:25 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Pain can only ever be mentioned in ththe context of (insert high pitched child solo) “but I know HaShem is watching me! This pain is here for a reason! Find the sunshine in the rain and daven daven cryyyyy... pour your heart out to the One Aboooove...”

Honestly, I wish I could write a song that is not about that. I don't have enough talent for it, but I feel the void very strongly when I am in pain and feel that G-d is not listening.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 1:27 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

What? A person can't sing about a kallah finally finding her bashert, with gratitude to Hashem? I think that could be lovely, tasteful, and very inspiring.

IMHO, if a frum person would feel comfortable watching a movie about it or reading about it, then you could sing about it.

Frum men seem to never have any trouble figuring out Jewish songs to write and sing, so I don't see how it should be harder for us. We're supposed to be the more creative and spiritual ones!

groovy1224

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 1:28 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

I laughed out loud at this

Also acceptable are songs about friendship. Something about always being there for the other person when times are hard. It's important to mention rain if you go with this subject.

cinnamon

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 1:31 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

There’s something I like about songs with very imperfect perspectives, where the POV is flawed or petty or raging or vindictive. Like “I Knew You Were Trouble” by Taylor Swift or “Hope it Gives You H-ll” by All American Rejects.

Here is a jewish-ish song for you.

I can't decide if I agree with it or not.

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 1:35 pm
Emotions, experiences, feelings, thoughts, hopes, sensitive but not controversial topics (like the issue of Agunos or discussing the pain of loss (of dreams or of actual loved ones)...) ....

I think there's a space for a Jewish Martina McBride type

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 2:06 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Maybe this makes me a worse Jewess, but sometimes I almost need my “bad mood” music NOT to mention HaShem.

Songs like Rachel Platten’s “Fight Song” or Superchick’s “Stand in the Rain” are internal motivation to get up and do something, rather than daven (I know that’s still “doing something”) and wait for a yeshua, you know? Or it’s a reassurance that I already possess the strength inside of me to face my fears or push through a hard situation.

Or just plain old angry music! Dovid HaMelech wrote “keili lama azavtani” and the few times I’ve heard it set to music it’s sad and whiny.

This was rambling, sorry

When you're in a bad mood, you need to listen to music that expresses your feelings, not music that clashes with your mood. So songs that are meant to be hopeful or uplifting can have the opposite effect.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 2:29 pm
anything clean

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 4:14 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Honestly, I wish I could write a song that is not about that. I don't have enough talent for it, but I feel the void very strongly when I am in pain and feel that G-d is not listening.

I was listening to a really old London Girls Choir song called belief that really made me feel that.

The first two lines of the chorus are:

Hashem loves me
Though loved I may not feel

I broke down while listening to it. Going through a really rough patch and I really don't feel God. And this song was so painfully acknowledging and validating how normal that is.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 4:15 pm
cinnamon wrote:
Here is a jewish-ish song for you.

I can't decide if I agree with it or not.

Oh I loved this when it came out! I totally forgot about this song. I love the tune and the words...well the words I understand. I'm still having trouble understanding the full message of the song so I'm not sure I agree with it as a whole.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 4:17 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
What? A person can't sing about a kallah finally finding her bashert, with gratitude to Hashem? I think that could be lovely, tasteful, and very inspiring.

IMHO, if a frum person would feel comfortable watching a movie about it or reading about it, then you could sing about it.

If it's fiction yes, but if it's coming from someone who is really feeling that way I just don't think it's something that should be shared with the world. It should be shared with her Chosson.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 4:20 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
But is the song "Jewish" then?

If a Jewish person wrote "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", would it be a Jewish song?
Are songs by Bob Dylan "Jewish"? Simon and Garfunkle?

The lyrics to this are by Jewish people and the singer (David Draiman) is Jewish (I taught his niece in a Bais Yaakov, he went to yeshiva high schools himself)

OP asked for a topic appropriate for a frum song.
You are asking what is considered a "frum song".

2 different things Wink

I edited my response though, a frum song is anything written by a G-d fearing Jew and not about things between a man and a woman.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics