Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
What do you think of frum, female artists who put out a CD?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

SuperWify

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 2:03 pm
Devorah Schwartz
Dalia Ozeil
Nechama Cohen
Chanale

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 2:24 pm
Mark me down as a resounding YES. My problems:
1. Some decades ago I developed tinnitus-based binaural hearing loss. Without my hearing aids, I experience the world as though I'm under tens of thousands of feet of ocean.
2. In more recent years, I lost my singing voice due to a second bout of laryngitis.
3. I neither play an instrument nor read or write sheet music. Yet.
4. Due to delays in setting up my condo, I do not yet have my computer up and running and so cannot run a music transcription/display program. Yet.
5. My only other outlet for the 64 tunes/lyrics/both that I have composed, or my 80+ translations of already-existing songs, would be to organize my own choir. I even have the multipart harmonies in my head already.
So: Any (would-be) choristers/soloists looking for/willing to learn some new material?
I should point out here that not all of my tunes/lyrics are on Jewish themes.
A G'mar Tov for "T'hei Shnas Pidyon/Ph'dus".

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 2:30 pm
Thanks for your thoughts.
I actually am a songwriter and it’s my songs I really want to share with the world, rather than just my voice which isn’t stunningly beautiful. I have experience in arranging music and vocals, but would probably need to hire some musicians to build the soundtracks. All in all, it would be an expensive venture with little profit. I just wouldn’t want to embarrass myself in the process. My goal is to share my music, not to be famous.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 2:38 pm
As a songwriter, you can share your songs with the world both by recording them yourself and by having other singers sing them.

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 2:51 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
As a songwriter, you can share your songs with the world both by recording them yourself and by having other singers sing them.

1. I don't like listening to my own recorded voice. 2. The "other singers" ARE my prospective future choristers! I am even planning a public "girls' night out" performance fundraising evening, a recording of which I am hoping would inspire music business professionals to do the transcriptions. My own studying of writing sheet music would take too long. I guess the next fastest way (after a choral performance) would be to wait until my condo is sufficiently uncluttered that I CAN use my computer with the transcription program.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 2:52 pm
I mean you can produce a female version and also have a man sing the same song separately to make it available to the men.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 2:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I actually am a songwriter and it’s my songs I really want to share with the world, rather than just my voice which isn’t stunningly beautiful. I have experience in arranging music and vocals, but would probably need to hire some musicians to build the soundtracks. All in all, it would be an expensive venture with little profit. I just wouldn’t want to embarrass myself in the process. My goal is to share my music, not to be famous.

OP. I feel so foolish for my snarky reply to you earlier. PLEASE PLEASE share your music with the world! You would NOT embarrass yourself! And "stunningly beautiful" is NOT a requirement for being a great singer! I would be the very first to cheer you on in this endeavor. Please don't give up the world needs your music!!!!

Choirmistress

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 3:07 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I mean you can produce a female version and also have a man sing the same song separately to make it available to the men.

A recording of my planned fundraising concert is exactly what I am hoping the men could get hold of and transcribe/perform themselves.
Guess what else? Strides in music technology have now made it possible for recording technicians to alter a performer's pitch without slowing the speed. How does an "anonymous" choir (of girls and ladies; SHHH! Don't tell anyone and don't put a photo of the performers on the album cover!) of supposed men and boys (as far as the buying public would be concerned) sound?

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 4:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That's so cool OP! I'm a songwriter too although I have no experience with attachments.
If you're goal is to share your music than perhaps you could sell your songs with the arrangements to singers. Big singers like Ari Goldwag and Benny Friedman don't write all their music.

On the other hand...most females; if they're taking out the money to produce music they're usually also writing it.

Not sure how pitching songs works but there's a google group called soferet with 1000 of the biggest frum writers on it and this topic HAS been discussed before.

pizza4

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 5:32 pm
I love female CDs. I haven't bought in a while but listen here and there. I used to listen to malky giniger all the time, now I enjoy also Devorah schwartz, chanale, esther freeman.
Its wonderful that these singers are using their talents this way!
OP go for it!

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 5:42 pm
Wow OP, I feel the exact same way you do.
I don't even know how I to go about giving my songs to singers. I don't have any contacts in the music industry. I have dozens of original tunes, some with lyrics.
I just want to share my music.
I hope you find a way to share yours.

DallasIma

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:13 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

Let's talk about the positives! Here's some people I think are really cool and unique:

Judith Gerzi: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/judithgerzi#
Julia Blum: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/juliablum (The famous Princess song)
Rivky Saxon: (Young teen who does a bit rock. I think she needs some more experience but she has potential) http://rivkysaxon.com/
Tofaah Band: https://www.tofaah-jewish-music.com/

I'm so glad you posted this! Rivky Saxon is my granddaughter! Heart

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:29 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Forgot to mention these two! Esther Freeman only has a few singles and some are really old ones that are TERRIBLE sound quality but I love her voice and her vibe and just don't care!

Her newer singles are professional quality.

Where can I find singles by Esther Freeman? When I searched her name, I found a beautiful song but I wasn’t sure if it was Jewish or Xtian based on the producer.

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:55 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I don't think much about it. As long as the CD has the kol isha disclaimer, let them put it out. I don't know if the talent measures up to secular entertainment, because I don't listen to secular music. But what does that have to do with female singers? How are male singers more professional?
I'm very frum, and chassidish and I see absolutely no problem with putting out a CD whether you're male or female. I don't think that the singer is embarrassing themselves or that it should be private or anything like that any more than I would think it by a male artist. It's just annoying that the CD can only play when my husband isn't listening because he wouldn't listen to it. I'm not an earbud kind of person...
I wouldn't buy it because I'm totally broke and using my money for other things. But if I would be buying a CD I wouldn't choose one over the other based on the gender of the singer (unless it's for the car)

I am admire them very much, and as previous posters said, if there’s a disclaimer the onus is on the man.

But since you asked for an honest, non PC opinion, I do find that many are less professional than their secular counterparts. However not any less professional than other men singers.
But again, not everyone. Some are amazing and their talent extends way beyond what is found in the secular world.
Personally I feel some Rachel’s Place actress/singers are better than Broadway ones (especially Chava Rosenbaum).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:25 pm
I think frum male singers need to be differentiated. The music industry is much more active for men than for women. Additionally, many frum men tend to sing in a uniquely Jewish style which has been refined to the point that they do sound very professional, on par with many secular professional singers if the world at large would appreciate that style. However, for many, once they veer away from that “Jewish” style, they sound stilted and fake. Very few can pull off normal music.

For frum women, there is no Jewish music industry group or support that I am aware of. Most women are on their own and either record in home studios or are very budgeted in studio costs. Also, we are unlikely to be practicing music from a young age the way non-Jewish artists sing in church choirs or take music classes from a young age. There is a lot of raw talent around but not many reach past the amateur level.

I do think it’s important for more women to produce clean, professional music that doesn’t sound like Klezmer. However, I’ll admit I don’t want to be “cringed” at. I think my music is good but it will take thousands of dollars to produce it on a professional level.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where can I find singles by Esther Freeman? When I searched her name, I found a beautiful song but I wasn’t sure if it was Jewish or Xtian based on the producer.

YouTube, Facebook, maybe Instagram

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:06 pm
urban gypsy wrote:

Side note, I've always wondered, why is it okay for Bais Yaakov and other frum productions to use popular secular songs, set them to 3rd-grade level cringey lyrics, and pass that off as frum entertainment? Who are the sacrificial lambs who listen to the radio to gather ideas for new songs on their behalf to save the frum community from listening to them? A mystery...

Last year I sat in the audience of a play performed by THE frummest, THE most yeshivish, THE most elite and selective high school this side of the Atlantic Ocean, and listened to the actresses sing a song which I instantly recognized as "Hallelu-yah" (the song about baby Je**sus) with some words substituted...

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:13 pm
We need another Rochel Miller. So many female singers today sound like they're trying too hard. Too much exaggerated vibrato, too much falsetto... Rochel Miller sounded so genuine, her voice was so rich... I wish she still performed.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:43 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Last year I sat in the audience of a play performed by THE frummest, THE most yeshivish, THE most elite and selective high school this side of the Atlantic Ocean, and listened to the actresses sing a song which I instantly recognized as "Hallelu-yah" (the song about baby Je**sus) with some words substituted...

The Leonard Cohen song?
Uh that’s..... not about baby J......
Still, a hilarious story!!! I’ve witnessed way too many cringe scenarios like this one! Who do I complain to about this? How do I make it stop LOL

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:58 pm
I believe we need more original talent. I don't want to listen to a cd where every song is an edited version of a secular song (which is what many female singers do). Come up with your own.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts