Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
The rural Chinese live to 100; why not us?
Previous  1  2

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:57 am
Here’s st least one article that indicates it’s made up. This thread is the first thing to come up in google under the search. Not articles about the topic which indicates op is imagining things. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m.....6564/

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:01 am
https://www.theglobeandmail.co.....9579/

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:03 am
"rural chinese" you know how numerous people?
Really such stereotypes... yes, some do reach very old ages. But also here, and everywhere. Famines and diseases were rampant not long ago and still life is very hard there.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:48 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Spiritually, it's because that's how long Hashem wants them to live.

Practically, it's because their diet is healthier, they live out in the country, and they are far away from their neighbors because they are surrounded by farmland and rice fields. Not so much chance to share germs. Dairy, white flour, and refined sugars are not really a thing out in rural areas, and meat is mainly for holidays, or for the sick and elderly.

Genetically, it depends on how long your telemeres are programmed to live. If you have very long telemeres, you will live longer. The research on this is very cool, and has tons of interesting implications (although it may make it harder to get life insurance in the future.)

On the other hand, George Burns smoked 5 cigars a day, and lived to be almost 100. He joked "Someone asked me how I got to be 99 years old while smoking so much. What did my doctors have to say about that?" and I answered "Not much, they're all dead." LOL

The oldest living woman in France smoked and drank red wine every day, and said that she only cooked with real butter.

All that said, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so you never know. Live each day fully, and make it count!

That’s the answer, no busses!

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:49 am
andrea levy wrote:
Please show me the source of this information. Right now it just sounds like you’re making this up. God forbid for even a moment you should think I don’t agree that pollution and processed foods kill people, I just want to know where you heard this.

If I knew how to put up links on this phone, I would show you the article that I read yesterday about 'blue zones' which are places where turning 100 doesn't mean retirement. Rural China is a blue zone.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:55 am
southernbubby wrote:
If I knew how to put up links on this phone, I would show you the article that I read yesterday about 'blue zones' which are places where turning 100 doesn't mean retirement. Rural China is a blue zone.

Actually I saw that article. It specifically says that socioeconomic factors had the largest impact including instrastructure and social support. It also said the Chinese among the largest population on earth are bound to have more of EVERY age from prior to the birth restrictions. That doesn’t mean you can just make stuff up. It was a complicated article.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:03 am
andrea levy wrote:
Actually I saw that article. It specifically says that socioeconomic factors had the largest impact including instrastructure and social support. It also said the Chinese among the largest population on earth are bound to have more of EVERY age from prior to the birth restrictions. That doesn’t mean you can just make stuff up. It was a complicated article.

The blue zone is in an area of China called Rugao.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:37 am
DrMom wrote:
What rural people in China?

What percentage of them live to 100?

Give us some numbers and a source, please.

I don't know how to link anything. There is a blue zone in rural China that gets 2 million health seeking tourists every year. I realize that National Geographic is not a scientific journal.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:41 am
Ruchel wrote:
"rural chinese" you know how numerous people?
Really such stereotypes... yes, some do reach very old ages. But also here, and everywhere. Famines and diseases were rampant not long ago and still life is very hard there.

In several places known as blue zones, the 100 year old people went through some very difficult times and lived through epidemics, famines, wars, and political upheaval. Starvation may have made them age more slowly.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:44 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
How does cheating have anything to do with dying young ? LOL Plenty of people cheat (actually more than 50% acoording to surveys) and they live a long and happy life.

I'd say it's mostly the food we eat. The western world eats too much meat and chicken which is mass produced and pumped up with medicine. Kosher deli meat is disgusting. The colors are anything but natural.
I'm sure the rural Chinese people eat a mostly plant based diet with chicken which are raised by them, so no mass production or antibiotics used. A lot of deseases including cancer wouldn't be so widely spread if people ate healthy.
Then stress which they probably don't have.

Cheating on your spouse is stressful.
Also family is prime in most of the blue zones but childless people formed groups of friends that functions as a family.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:19 am
southernbubby wrote:
In several places known as blue zones, the 100 year old people went through some very difficult times and lived through epidemics, famines, wars, and political upheaval. Starvation may have made them age more slowly.

Lower caloric intake is a marker for longevity PERIOD.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:23 am
andrea levy wrote:

That's one of several reasons why these people are still functioning at a very old age.

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:29 am
southernbubby wrote:

That does not mean a high %age of the people there live to 100.
It just means they have to work until they drop dead.

This thread makes no sense at all.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:50 am
DrMom wrote:
That does not mean a high %age of the people there live to 100.
It just means they have to work until they drop dead.

This thread makes no sense at all.

There apparently is an area north of the Yangtze river where there are a large percentage of people who are functioning well into very old age. Dropping dead in the field is probably preferable to rotting in a nursing home.
My point is that it is a pity that we don't live our age that way.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 1:07 pm
andrea levy wrote:

Can I have my Ben and Jerry's, and only live to 95? Ice cream

It seems like a good trade to me. Very Happy

flmommy

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 1:39 pm
Read The China Study and How Not to Die. It’s a combo of exercise, stress management and a whole food plant based lifestyle.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 2:23 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Can I have my Ben and Jerry's, and only live to 95? Ice cream

It seems like a good trade to me. Very Happy

It only works if you patronize big pharma. Very Happy

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 5:00 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Not all STD's are curable. Even if you find out you have one, by the time you get it treated it may have already done some damage. Many strains of HPV can cause cancer. 100 years ago, syphilis was one of the leading causes of death, and it usually cause insanity before it killed you.

Factor in race and poverty. People of color have the least amount of health care, and die at much higher rates from preventable health causes in general. Then you have cultural practices that make people reluctant to get help. What about a Muslim family, where if a girl gets an STD, she can't go to the doctor because if her father and brothers find out, they will kill her for "family honor"?

And don't fool yourself. Wealthy, white, heterozexual people get AIDS, too. Just because it's become a more manageable chronic disease instead of an instant death sentence, doesn't mean you can take it for granted.

I'm a BT I slept with my share of men and I've been to the doc regularly , actually after every new guy I slept with. Getting aids from heterosexual guys is uncommon that's what the doctors say. And all the other stuff you can treat as long as you go to the doc regularly and they treat it right away. Besides there's condoms so you don't even have to get an STD in the first place. I never got one bh but I also never had unprotected se-x.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 5:10 pm
The question is would you really want to live such a remote, ascetic lifestyle? You'd die of boredom.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 5:13 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
The question is would you really want to live such a remote, ascetic lifestyle? You'd die of boredom.

Everybody dies of something but I agree with you that dying of boredom is not the way that I want to go.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics