Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Mikva erev yk - what do I need to know?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:14 pm
This Yom kippur will be my first as a married woman.

What do I need to know regarding erev yk tevilla?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This Yom kippur will be my first as a married woman.

What do I need to know regarding erev yk tevilla?

Go early because there are long lines. Go in an easy zip up dress or robe so you don't have to stand in line wrapped in a sheet that they give out. (Wear it there, don't bring along to change because it's a wreck there and you won't necessarily have your own private space to change.)
Just stand in line in a zip up with nothing underneath so you are ready. When it's your turn close the door and make it fast so the next person can take over the mikvah and dip.
There are no chatzitzos but go in clean because otherwise the water gets filthy and you don't want it dirty from someone else either when you go in for yourself.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:40 pm
Sorry for hijacking this thread, if I have slight fever & sore throat I should skip it, right?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:47 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Sorry for hijacking this thread, if I have slight fever & sore throat I should skip it, right?

Yes!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:01 pm
Wrapped in a sheet?? What country is that in?
I'm going the first time in Israel. Wondering if I should expect it to be different than in America.
Op, where are you from? I was never wrapped in a sheet

miami85

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:04 pm
Interesting, I thought this was primarily a men's thing. The places I've lived don't even offer it to women.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:08 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I'm going the first time in Israel. Wondering if I should expect it to be different than in America.

Same here. Never heard of being wrapped in a sheet. I’ve gone in israel and in Canada.
You shower at home. Bring towel from home.
You don’t do any prep just in and out dip and that’s it. There’s no mikva lady.
When mikva is free (when mikva door is open) you go in, close the door. Dip, come out, leave door open so next person knows it’s free.
That’s how it is in Canada and Israel wasn’t anything much different.
Never heard of waiting in line with a sheet.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:28 pm
In satmer willi they give you a white sheet and hospital gown to wait in line with. And you don't even get a private room to change in, the push in 10 ladies in a room.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:31 pm

This is why I stopped going erev YK Sad
I want to go and feel guilty every year but I did it twice and I just cannot do it again.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:33 pm
Can I have my hair in a ponytail or do I need to take the rubber out?

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:35 pm
You can leave it in a pony.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:36 pm
Thanks

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:41 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Same here. Never heard of being wrapped in a sheet. I’ve gone in israel and in Canada.
You shower at home. Bring towel from home.
You don’t do any prep just in and out dip and that’s it. There’s no mikva lady.
When mikva is free (when mikva door is open) you go in, close the door. Dip, come out, leave door open so next person knows it’s free.
That’s how it is in Canada and Israel wasn’t anything much different.
Never heard of waiting in line with a sheet.

And where do you undress? I sssume the sheet is so u get undressed in changing room so when it's your turm to dip u can easily be in your birthday suit

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:55 pm
In boro park the 2 that I have gone to give u a white sheet. I bring my own robe, snood and slippers so do most of the ladies.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:58 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
In satmer willi they give you a white sheet and hospital gown to wait in line with. And you don't even get a private room to change in, the push in 10 ladies in a room.

I'm just wondering if you are satmar or heard this from somewhere?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:39 am
OP, I never had the sheet thing. Where do you live? Maybe we can give you suggestions for nice places where you have privacy and will be completely comfortable.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 6:22 am
I'm so nervous about going. Don't know the place. I don't have with me a robe. I would skip it this year because I'm not home. I would feel so guilty. Especially since I remember my mother a"h calling her doctor trying to find out if there is a way she can go when she was on chemo because of the germs. She called mikvahs to see if she can maybe go first.... So I think I'll really push myself to try

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 6:34 am
Gah. I did it last year for the first time. I don’t wanna do it again. I felt really gross

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 6:45 am
miriess1 wrote:
Gah. I did it last year for the first time. I don’t wanna do it again. I felt really gross

Did it too. And for a change I actually felt good after mikva. I went early so didn't need to wait long. Had the mikva room to myself! Wish I could do tvilla all the time without someone looking down my a*** or t***.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 7:03 am
I'm so nervous about going. Don't know the place. I don't have with me a robe. I would skip it this year because I'm not home. I would feel so guilty. Especially since I remember my mother a"h calling her doctor trying to find out if there is a way she can go when she was on chemo because of the germs. She called mikvahs to see if she can maybe go first.... So I think I'll really push myself to try

The concern is you'd infect other women. Not become more sick yourself. Protect the other women and stay home or make sure to go in last. Not first.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur