Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Boppy pillow--worth it and which one?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:18 pm
Any words of wisdom on whether or not to get the Boppy pillow for nursing? I see they also have one for baby "lounging". Any other advice on which one? I heard something about getting changeable covers also. I am 38+ weeks and don't have the head to look into everything so I need some help sorting it out plus I thought you ladies might have some actual experience/advice with this. Thanks!

Amalia

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:20 pm
I had Boppy in the past but then a friend recommended a company called “my breast friend” - it was sooo much better!

B’Saha tova!

challahchallah

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:37 pm
My breast friend and the boppy are the two most popular nursing pillows, and different people have their own preferences. I strongly prefer my boppy, but I know others who feel the opposite. I never saw the need to get the lounger version of it since the regular one can do double duty as a nursing pillow and a lounger. You can get the plain pillow, a waterproof cover for the inevitable spills and then whatever decretive cover you want for on top.

ETA—one other (more expensive) option is the nesting pillow. It’s a nursing pillow filled with buckwheat that makes it easy to shape to however you want it at any given time. I’ve used this several times at a lactation consultant and it’s a great option if you have the budget. It seems like it would also probably be good as a baby lounger though I haven’t tried it in that capacity.

Last edited by challahchallah on Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:41 pm
Amalia wrote:
I had Boppy in the past but then a friend recommended a company called “my breast friend” - it was sooo much better!

B’Saha tova!

I have both one upstairs and one downstairs and I honestly love both.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:02 pm
I got both my breast friend and the boppy second hand. The boppy pillow itself is fully washable in addition to its cover, whereas mbf is a piece of foam you can't wash--just the cover. I bought a waterproof cover for that and put it under the fabric cover for better protection/easier cleaning. I liked them both at different stages--mbf was good for supporting a newborn and boppy was good once LO could hold himself up better and as support once he was sitting up. I would advise not to spend too much (secondhand boppies are cheap and easily washed) because you can't really predict what you'll use.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:23 pm
I'm in brooklyn. I have a boppy with a washable slipcover that I used maaaaybe 5 times. For a different child a doctor recommended my breast friend pillow for a specific need. I bought it (also washable slip cover) and used it maybe twice. I would love to give one or both away, if OP or anyone wants them.

(To answer op, what I ultimately found helped so much more than a nursing pillow was sitting on an upright recliner and resting my arm and the baby's head on its comfy arm)

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:14 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
I'm in brooklyn. I have a boppy with a washable slipcover that I used maaaaybe 5 times. For a different child a doctor recommended my breast friend pillow for a specific need. I bought it (also washable slip cover) and used it maybe twice. I would love to give one or both away, if OP or anyone wants them.

(To answer op, what I ultimately found helped so much more than a nursing pillow was sitting on an upright recliner and resting my arm and the baby's head on its comfy arm)

I would be interested, 30 weeks pregnant and have NOTHING for baby. Would luv the boppy

Flip Flops

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:19 pm
Definitely buy a pillow. It's a must for nursing so that you don't kill your back. I like the boppy style - not one that straps all the way around you. Those are just a pain in the neck.
I would say to buy the highest one. I have one that is not high enough and I have to constantly try to sit up and lift the baby high enough while I nurse. My baby also uses it to lay on while she drinks a bottle.

devorah1231

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:22 pm
Totally don't find boppy useful. Just took up space. How do you get it into position while holding the baby? Or, how do you pick up the baby if you put it in position first?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:29 pm
I found My Breast Friend too bulky. It made me feel claustrophobic and made nursing even more overwhelming.

I never tried a boppy, but if it's more pillow-like I might have used it more - I do use pillows a lot for early nursing.

I suggest you borrow one or get one secondhand. If you love it and can't live without it, buy your own and extra covers.

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:38 pm
I got a boppy second hand 6+ years ago. It had been in constant use since then. Even I didn't have babies, I left it out.
I love it for nursing my newborns.
My 4 month old sleeps on it ptopped up (reflux) every night.
The best thing after a glider....

Also, my newborns, I put then into the boppy like their bottom in the whole asks feet elevated like in a hole of a doughnut. And this is how I cosleep. Super convenient. And safe. Once they start getting out of a swaddle it's time for their own bed.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:12 pm
I never used a pillow for nursing, I found it so uncomfortable! My youngest is 3+ now and she uses a boot as her pillow. She’s been using it since she’s probably 9/10 months old. She loves it.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:28 pm
I have a boppy that I've used to nurse each child for a minimum of 1.5 years. My favorite place to nurse is sitting on my bed and the boppy gives me the support I need. I don't schlep it along when I go to my parents or in laws overnight when I know they'll have extra pillows I can use as temporary support, but I always bring the boppy with me if we go on a road trip so I can comfortably nurse anywhere.

You have to find your comfort zone. When I had my oldest and was setting up a nursery everyone told me I had to get a glider so I did. I found it really uncomfortable for nursing, but great for 1 AM desperate rocking of the baby back to sleep.

Other women who I am completely in awe of seem to have mastered the art of babywearing and nursing in a wrap. That would be convenient for getting things done or dealing with older children, but I kind of like the enforced break that nursing gives me where I can just sit down with my feet up for at least half an hour every few hours.

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:42 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I have a boppy that I've used to nurse each child for a minimum of 1.5 years. My favorite place to nurse is sitting on my bed and the boppy gives me the support I need. I don't schlep it along when I go to my parents or in laws overnight when I know they'll have extra pillows I can use as temporary support, but I always bring the boppy with me if we go on a road trip so I can comfortably nurse anywhere.

You have to find your comfort zone. When I had my oldest and was setting up a nursery everyone told me I had to get a glider so I did. I found it really uncomfortable for nursing, but great for 1 AM desperate rocking of the baby back to sleep.

Other women who I am completely in awe of seem to have mastered the art of babywearing and nursing in a wrap. That would be convenient for getting things done or dealing with older children, but I kind of like the enforced break that nursing gives me where I can just sit down with my feet up for at least half an hour every few hours.

My baby cries a LOT. I should try wearing him. But I'm afraid its an endless thing. How do I know which is good?
By my older kids I couldn't find one that was good. Whatever felt comfy and supportive started giving me a delayed backache....

Anyhow, the glider is for rocking. Not really for nursing. There are some more expensive ones that are mote comfy for nursing but I'm still using mine for rocking him to sleep. Or as a kimpeturin - when the whole world was at a standstil. Lol - just to simply rock and sing to the baby.

geemum

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 6:04 pm
Im really happy with my "boppy style" nursing pillow which I used whilst sitting on my glider chair. I bought a non-brand from amazon, which had good reviews.

Hold baby with one arm and use the other hand to position your pillow.

Feel food and bshaa tovah

Ahuva's Mommy

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 6:17 pm
This time around, I didn't use it so much for nursing. However, I am using the boppy to support my baby as he sits up and plays now that he is almost sitting independently.

Aylat

Post Mon, Oct 28 2019, 6:32 pm
OP: Nursing pillow: I just use a regular bed pillow, haven't found that a special brand is necessary.

Tzutzie: Babywearing: I like the stretchy wraps. The secret to not getting a backache is spreading the material out wide over your shoulders and around your waist to spread the weight. My 5 week old baby doesn't sleep without being held and the wrap is saving me. I have nursed babies in the wrap but only when they're a bit older and can stay latched on by themselves.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics