Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
What kind of meat do I buy?
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 6:50 pm
Hosting some people for yom tov meals, never done this before, and I want to make a nice classic roast. I did that once before but so many years ago that I don't remember how. I don't need tons and I don't want the most expensive kind - I don't want to go cheap and have tough meat, but I want to make hosting work out without breaking the bank.

Please advise, shopping day is ASAP.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 6:55 pm
seeker wrote:
Hosting some people for yom tov meals, never done this before, and I want to make a nice classic roast. I did that once before but so many years ago that I don't remember how. I don't need tons and I don't want the most expensive kind - I don't want to go cheap and have tough meat, but I want to make hosting work out without breaking the bank.

Please advise, shopping day is ASAP.

Minute steak roast, rib roast, brisket....

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 7:06 pm
Second cut brisket
That should yield soft, delicious meat.

Or French roast (I make the French Roast with Wine from kosher.com)

Or silver tip roast

iammom

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 7:18 pm
Chuck roast is very cheap mostly cuz it’s not one of the better cuts but if you spice it well and bake low and slow (with lots of onions) it comes out SO soft!

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 7:20 pm
K so that's three posts with seven opinions... lol what a bunch of Jews. Thank you so much, I now feel assured that I can probably buy anything and it might not matter? LOL.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 7:27 pm
I usually base my menus off of what's on sale at my local stores. Right now I aim for something from the $5.99-6.99 per lb range (I'm in the NY area, despite my SN). I'm making all of YT and hosting a lot, so far I have two small briskets and a standing rib roast. Brisket, chuck eye, french roast (or brick), and minute roast are all cuts that work well with "low and slow" method ie cooking at 350 or so for a few hours in plenty of liquid. Also tends to help to give the meat a quick sear beforehand, but it's not the worst thing not to. Let us know what you buy and we can give you some recipes.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 7:33 pm
Thank you! I think last time I used a recipe from Overtimecook.com that hopefully I can find again. It was super simple and super delicious. I think you had to sear the meat, and then put on some salt and pepper, cover it with sliced onions, and I think some wine. And then cook low and slow for a while. It was AH. MAY. ZING. and so simple but I have no idea what meat I used. I think whatever was on sale...

Bleemee

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 7:43 pm
Between Carpools on Instagram has stories now about cut of meat and how to cook.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 7:44 pm
You only want meat?
Dark pickled chicken roast is delicious.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 7:48 pm
Well I already have plenty of recipes I like for chicken, but I like to do a little meat to make Yom Tov different and special.

happymom123

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 7:54 pm
Second cut brisket is delicious and you can cook it the way you described. Low and slow with lots of onion

thanks

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:04 pm
You can make pulled beef from almost any cut as long as you use a good quality barbque sauce.

ladYdI

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:14 pm
Salt pepper rub 6-8 frozen garlic cloves and a cup of any wine (onions or root veg optional)
300 4-6 hours
Works on any meat. I do 2-3 different meats the same way all together in a huge toaster
Bake all my meats at one time and I’m done
Sometimes I’ll rewarm them in different sauces. BBQ, chrein ir any good jarred sauce
I put it in the oven when I’m ready to go to sleep and my husbNd shuts it off to cool when he wakes up
I do the same for pesach!
All meats done in one night!

nicole81

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:18 pm
French roast is my favorite for low and slow. Second cut brisket is fine, but you can buy a larger chunk of french roast, and it slices much nicer IMO. I also like the texture slightly better.

Silver tip and rib roast are great, but require a dryer cook and are trickier to rewarm

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 8:21 pm
I love this supportive forum Heart We may get heated in some areas but when it comes to cooking for yom tov we get to the hearts of the Jewish women.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 9:42 pm
If you're shopping at KRM, go with brisket, chuck eye roast or minute roast.
Their French roast is cut wrong and the grain changes direction so some slices end up dry. Their top of the rib roast is too thin to get presentable slices (it looks thick but when you open the package it's folded over 2 or 3 times).
Silvertip roast, in general don't use unless cooking it rare.

Ellie7

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 10:23 pm
If you’re somewhere with a Seasons, I’d get one of their ready-to-cook meats and cook according to the directions in the package. Corned beef, pastrami, roast. Have always had great luck with their stuff.

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 2:42 am
I like minute roast. Cook in roasting bag with loads of onions and red wine, 300 for about 3-4 hours. No need to brown meat or onions beforehand.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:38 pm
OK apparently I made a mistake. The store I went to did not have great selection, at least not in the budget end. I bought "1st cut brisket" because it was the closest I could find to something suggested here, namely "2nd cut brisket." When it was JUST a drop too late to turn back my mother answered my desperate text telling me that 1st cut is a dry and unappealing meat. I should have just paid more and gotten the french roast, it was the only other name I recognized from here (besides silver tip which was mentioned as something to avoid.)

HELP! Will it still work?!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 7:52 pm
seeker wrote:
OK apparently I made a mistake. The store I went to did not have great selection, at least not in the budget end. I bought "1st cut brisket" because it was the closest I could find to something suggested here, namely "2nd cut brisket." When it was JUST a drop too late to turn back my mother answered my desperate text telling me that 1st cut is a dry and unappealing meat. I should have just paid more and gotten the french roast, it was the only other name I recognized from here (besides silver tip which was mentioned as something to avoid.)

HELP! Will it still work?!

1st cut is not dry, it's a good piece!!
Put it in a Ziploc and add some light olive oil, crushed garlic and kosher salt and rub through the plastic to make sure it gets all over. Refrigerate 24-48 hours.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics