Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
WWYD re: dishonest Jewish owned business

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:20 pm
Looking for advice....I'm really upset...I don't know why I am so bothered by it...but I am! I use an auto body tire shop that's run by frum Jews, and I noticed a pattern that every time I go for an oil change, they tell me that I need my windshield wiper blades replaced as well, in addition to some filters replaced. The last time this happened...I realized after the fact, that there was really nothing wrong with my wiper blades before they replaced them, and actually now the new ones don't work as well as the old ones. Without saying the name of the place, I asked around and many people have had the same experience. Would you go in person and say something? Would you email from an anonymous email address? Write a letter to the local Jewish newspaper?
Really just want to make a point that everyone is onto their game and its disgusting to swindle anyone, especially your fellow brethren who are nice enough to patronize your business......but I don't want them to know that its me.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:32 pm
Why can't they know it's you? It's not like you're going there again. If you are, then just tell them you need an oil change and please not to find anything else wrong with the car like they usually do because you know everything works and it's common knowledge...etc.

Flip Flops

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:25 pm
I would ask a rav before exposing them but if you'd be allowed to I think a few people should make this information be known.
For now, I would tell you to tell them off very strongly - let them know that you are aware of their games and others are too.

amother
White

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:35 pm
Just curious - is this place in Flatbush? I recently went to a frum place with a 3-year-old car in great shape for my annual inspection. They claimed that my windshield wipers were worn out and at risk of damaging my windshield, so they couldn't pass me for the inspection unless I bought new ones. I thought it quite odd, but it wasn't worth fighting. Now I'm wondering if it's the same place you mentioned, and they do this to everybody...

Sweet as Pie

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:46 pm
Yes we had same experience, not sure if was same place. They rip you off

bobeli

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:55 pm
Next time go with new windshield wipers in hand so they can’t sell them to you and charge you so much to change them when it takes 5 seconds to do it

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:03 am
If I was you or any of the other people who were ripped off I'd just not go there anymore. I'm sure they'll realize they did something wrong when they have no customers.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 6:35 am
bobeli wrote:
Next time go with new windshield wipers in hand so they can’t sell them to you and charge you so much to change them when it takes 5 seconds to do it

Also, you can change them yourself. It's really easy.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 6:50 am
Windshield wipers are easy to replace, but often they just need to be cleaned. Buy a set if you will be going to the same guy again.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 7:22 am
DH replaces our wiper blades often. I don't see the wear on them. He's a good mechanic and keeps our cars pristine. Just saying it is possible that they need replacing, and you don't realize. I know I don't.

In any event, he buys them at Costco and changes them himself. He says it's the best price.

Maybe change them right before you go in.

I also don't think today is the right day to be concerned about what a frum business is doing wrong.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 8:02 am
Where I live there's a glasses store like that. Banging head
They told me I needed a cylinder, and that only THEY can do it properly, as other places can make mistake and sometimes it doesn't work out and you need to redo it and they will redo them for free.

I've heard many such stories from them from family and friends.

I got a second opinion.
1. It could be helpful, but it's not necessary.
2. It's NOT an extra 1000 shekels as the first place claimed (or near that price)
3. It's pretty simple and common and you can even buy glasses online with them. Not really such a big issue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics