Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
What kind of meat do I buy?
Previous  1  2

Jewishfoodie

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:57 pm
Look up meat tenderizers, and also, cook low and slow. It'll be perfect! Nothing wrong with first cut!

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:16 pm
Thank you Heart Love you all. Wishing I'd stuck with the store I'm more familiar with. Filed under learning experiences. I hope it's delicious and I hope it's enough.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:22 pm
I should have asked y'all about sizes too... I bought 2.15 lb to serve to four people (3 women and an assortment of children who I'm estimating based on ages and tastes could count as one extra adult when you put them all together.) Some of my invitees didn't respond yet but if I have more people then I'll make another main dish of chicken or something.

nylon

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:08 am
First cut isn't as marbled as second and some butchers trim all the fat off the top, which should really be left on. But it will be fine cooked in liquid.

I would have a chicken dish as well as brisket shrinks a lot, though this also depends on what other courses you are serving.

iammom

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:09 am
seeker wrote:
I should have asked y'all about sizes too... I bought 2.15 lb to serve to four people (3 women and an assortment of children who I'm estimating based on ages and tastes could count as one extra adult when you put them all together.) Some of my invitees didn't respond yet but if I have more people then I'll make another main dish of chicken or something.

The rule is a 1/2 pound per person so 2.25 lb sounds good to me!

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:14 am
Oh yay I did something right after all! I hope company comes!

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:45 am
OK next question is timing. Package says use by 10/12. Obviously I want to do well before then just to be on the safe side. 10/12 is Shabbos.

Do I freeze it now, defrost on MS and cook on Sunday?
Do I leave it in the fridge now, cook it on Thursday, and then freeze until YT?
Do I cook it on Friday and it will still be fresh for Monday and Tuesday?

Please advise. I am such a noob it's embarrassing for someone my age but I'm going to get there eventually.

honeymoon

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:00 am
seeker wrote:
OK next question is timing. Package says use by 10/12. Obviously I want to do well before then just to be on the safe side. 10/12 is Shabbos.

Do I freeze it now, defrost on MS and cook on Sunday?
Do I leave it in the fridge now, cook it on Thursday, and then freeze until YT?
Do I cook it on Friday and it will still be fresh for Monday and Tuesday?

Please advise. I am such a noob it's embarrassing for someone my age but I'm going to get there eventually.

I would go with your first or second option. It also depends on where you bought your meat. In the place where I shop, before yom tov the meat is extra fresh as they restock several times a day and get deliveries constantly. So I would be comfortable leaving it in the fridge an extra day. Otherwise, I would freeze till ready to cook.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:06 am
Is it better to freeze raw or cook first?

honeymoon

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:08 am
seeker wrote:
Is it better to freeze raw or cook first?

With chicken I like to prepare it, freeze it raw and bake it before yom tov fresh. With meat I'm still experimenting, not quite sure what I like better. I think if you do it in a lot of sauce, cook it before and freeze cooked.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:44 am
ra_mom knows seriously everything kitchen, I'm hoping she replies in time for me to do this right Wink I wonder if she does coaching services, maybe she can train me in how to make yom tov. Seriously I used to do these things and yet I got so rusty it's unbelievable.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 8:00 am
seeker wrote:
ra_mom knows seriously everything kitchen, I'm hoping she replies in time for me to do this right Wink I wonder if she does coaching services, maybe she can train me in how to make yom tov. Seriously I used to do these things and yet I got so rusty it's unbelievable.

You can do either. Roast freezes well raw or cooked.
When is the easiest for you to make it?
If you're not sure yet, I would season it well, place in a Ziploc, and freeze until you're ready to deal with it. Transfer from freezer to fridge a day before you want to cook it.

cbg

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 8:58 am
I would say buy a 2nd cut brisket
It’s fool proof
Low and slow

Another economical option is to make a roulade from ground beef
It’s elegant and stretches

This is how I make it
Meat loaf recipe Pat down flat on foil
Pastrami layered on top
Spinach kugel recipe spread on top
Roll it up like a jelly roll
Bake
Slice when cool

If you want to get really fancy you can wrap the whole thing in puff pastry, but I never tried that

pizza4

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 9:20 am
First cut brisket is great, I did that last yomtov (didn't want a lot of fat) cooked it low and slow with wine sauce I think. It came out delicious, soft falling apart, and all my kids loved it. It was hard to get nest slices but none cared.

gold21

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:33 pm
I also am pretty clueless about meat.

Can I ask, even though this is slightly off topic-

Are recipes for first cut and second cut brisket interchangeable?

I saw a recipe, which looked quite delicious, called Miriam's Melt In Your Mouth Rosh Hashana Brisket. But it specifically lists as the first ingredient: first cut brisket.

Can second cut be swapped in for that?

If anyone is interested in that brisket recipe, I don't have it. I googled it. Just Google the recipe as I wrote it above. "Miriam's Melt In Your Mouth Rosh Hashana Brisket"

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:39 pm
I would feel comfortable using a first cut recipe on a second cut, but not vice versa. Second cut is fattier so beware.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:41 pm
gold21 wrote:
I also am pretty clueless about meat.

Can I ask, even though this is slightly off topic-

Are recipes for first cut and second cut brisket interchangeable?

I saw a recipe, which looked quite delicious, called Miriam's Melt In Your Mouth Rosh Hashana Brisket. But it specifically lists as the first ingredient: first cut brisket.

Can second cut be swapped in for that?

If anyone is interested in that brisket recipe, I don't have it. I googled it. Just Google the recipe as I wrote it above. "Miriam's Melt In Your Mouth Rosh Hashana Brisket"

Yes you can swap it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics