Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Getting mixed message if I should go in tomorrow WWYD?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:23 pm
I work per hour. I asked my coworker who has been in the office for over 10 years (I have only been there a year) if the office is open. She told me that she isn’t coming in but I know the boss will be there because he is usually always there. She told me to ask the boss which I did and the boss said to ask my coworker.
So now what am I suppose to do? I know there will not be any work for me to do that I will just sit there doing nothing.

imasinger

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:29 pm
Let's get this straight.

- You're paid per hour.

- There won't be any work for you to do if you go in.

- You asked your coworker, and she said she's not coming in.

- You then asked your boss, who is coming in, and he said talk to the co-worker.

Why is this even a question?

Doesn't it occasionally happen that the boss has things to do that an hourly worker might not need to worry about?

Stay home and get ready for YT. Feel good about starting the year responsibly, not going in (and needing payment) at a time when you're not needed.

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:31 pm
What’s even the question, don’t go!

groovy1224

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:31 pm
When the boss said to ask your coworker, why didn't you tell him that she told you to ask him? Ask him if he wants you to come in, and explain that you don't think there will be anything for you to do.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:56 pm
As a newish employee, I would go in if they are open and haven't told you that you're not needed. With time you'll pick up the nuances of the culture and once you're sure you're not expected, you'll be able to stay home.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:32 pm
Side point: So weird for a boss to say ask the coworker.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 10:37 pm
I wouldn't go.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 11:56 pm
Thank you all.

I spoke to another coworker who just started a few weeks ago but is there full time (I am part time) and she is going in for a few hours. So I guess I will go in also but wont have anything to do which will be very uncomfortable because my coworker has lots of work.
But I will go in and just sit there trying to look busy because my coworker who is new is always taking all my work and doing it.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all.

I spoke to another coworker who just started a few weeks ago but is there full time (I am part time) and she is going in for a few hours. So I guess I will go in also but wont have anything to do which will be very uncomfortable because my coworker has lots of work.
But I will go in and just sit there trying to look busy because my coworker who is new is always taking all my work and doing it.

Why don't you help her then?
I'd also go for a few hours and then go home so you don't have any chance of feeling guilty.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:16 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Why don't you help her then?
I'd also go for a few hours and then go home so you don't have any chance of feeling guilty.

I am not familiar with what she is doing. I would ask her to show me but for some reason my boss does not want me involved.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics