Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Trip to Israel on a budget - possible? help me plan!
Previous  1  2

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:42 am
OP, the Airbnb price you quoted seems very low. Try putting in actual dates in the filter and see what prices show up. Also, the cleaning fees can be quite high -- don't ignore them in your overall price calculation.

Packing light is definitely something you should do, esp if traveling between cities frequently, esp with a baby in tow.

24 hour flight situation?! How many stops are we talking about here?

Maybe this sounds tacky, but if anyone asks what they can get your DD for a bat-mitzva present, perhaps you can suggest contributing toward her trip to Israel. Your budget sounds super-tight.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:44 am
banana123 wrote:
Im kvar, she should just bring those from home.

Why schlep here and then schlep back. You can get something cheap from the stores on Agripas.

OP
I took my DD on a trip to the US for her Bat Mitzva part of the time we were with my mother, showing her where she grew up.
12 is a pretty yucky age to be a girl. Tons of hormones and teenage apathy (or rage). Prepare yourself for a trip that will not always be perfect.
Also you are going to a different country with a different language, time zone and more. Build your itinerary but take into account you will probably not do everything on your list and that that's ok.
I would splurge on a tour to Chevron if posdible.
Not sure a trip to the north would be worthwhile on your own either or in general. Depends how long you're coming for. Take in to account that travel days are not really part of the itinerary.

banana123

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ideally we would like to come before Chanukah, but that will depend on whether or not I can pull together enough money in time to make it happen! Avoiding the dead of an Israel winter would be nice!

The idea of going straight to Tzfas and "getting it out of the way" so to speak is interesting, I'm a little nervous about adding 4 hours onto an 24 hour flight situation (including time to get to the airport and the stopovers) but maybe I'll just do it, and plan to go straight to bed! Then we have the luxury of spending all the rest of the time in Yerushalayim, with one day trip out to Kever Rachel and Chevron, and another to Kfar Chabad.

I will need to mentally prepare to be shlepping all of our luggage wherever we go. Very good motivator to TRAVEL VERY LIGHT! (Are there laundromats? Will hand washed clothing dry overnight inside in the winter in Israel? Are diapers cheap enough that I shouldn't bring from the USA?)

I'm working a little backwards here, because I will need to beg/borrow/scrimp/save for the trip, as opposed to having an actual fixed budget. Ideally I would love to keep the cost of the trip under $3,000 (I'd say $2,500 but that's wishful thinking), which will have to include passports for 3 of us (that's $270), flights (about $1300 hopefully), lodging ($800+ it looks like), bus fares, food, souvenirs, prizes for the kids left home, and any attractions we do.

You can find cheap tickets if you're willing to fly not El Al.

You can also spend a day in KC, and then go straight up north, and then to Jerusalem. My itinerary, btw, was not ordered (this first this second), it was just grouped (similar together).

I don't know of too many laundromats but if you are paying for AirBNB then many of them do allow you to use the washer and dryer.

Diapers - we pay 33 NIS per pack of 40, size 4+, Shufersal brand (Babysitter repackaged), those are cheapest (but sometimes you can find deals for cheaper). You might be able to use 4s instead of 4+, that gives you a few extra diapers.

If we were in Jerusalem (and provided you're vaxxed) I would offer to host you, but we live in the south, so not so convenient (I mean, we don't mind, but for you it's not that convenient). BTW you can also check youth hostels, tzimmerim, etc. - if you come in off season it may be cheaper. But then check the laundry situation so you don't get stuck.

Last edited by banana123 on Tue, Oct 08 2019, 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total

banana123

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:53 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Why schlep here and then schlep back. You can get something cheap from the stores on Agripas.

OP
I took my DD on a trip to the US for her Bat Mitzva part of the time we were with my mother, showing her where she grew up.
12 is a pretty yucky age to be a girl. Tons of hormones and teenage apathy (or rage). Prepare yourself for a trip that will not always be perfect.
Also you are going to a different country with a different language, time zone and more. Build your itinerary but take into account you will probably not do everything on your list and that that's ok.
I would splurge on a tour to Chevron if posdible.
Not sure a trip to the north would be worthwhile on your own either or in general. Depends how long you're coming for. Take in to account that travel days are not really part of the itinerary.

Because when you're counting pennies, every penny counts?

Definitely splurge on a tour to Chevron, the plus here is the security that comes with organized tours.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 5:07 am
Kfar chabad is right next to the airport (I think there is even a train) so maybe plan that as the last or first thing to do. Maybe you can even check your luggage in early and go and see kfar chabad. Use moovit or google maps to plan journeys. There is a train almost all the way to tzfat from the airport too, but its definitely a shlep. (karmiel and then you take a bus)

Israelis in general are very hospitable so I wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of your old friends and stay with them. Let them know you are coming now and maybe they will pffer to host for shabbos or even some days during the week. Use the money freed up to splurge on some fun tours, camel rides, stuff like that.

Rappel

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 5:33 am
OP, once you plan your itinerary, maybe post it here. I'm sure other imas would love to help you streamline your travels, whether through finding you places to stay, or giving you a ride between cities
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics