Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Bowing all the way down
Previous  1  2  3

How do you bow on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur?
I don't bow all the way down, but I bow deeper than usual.  
 34%  [ 75 ]
I bow like I do for a regular bow.  
 29%  [ 63 ]
Does not apply, I don't make it to shul.  
 10%  [ 22 ]
Hu? I've never heard of anyone other than the Baal T'fillah doing this.  
 6%  [ 15 ]
I bow all the way down each time.  
 18%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 216

Debbie

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:43 am
[quote="Iymnok"]Dh said ladies don’t bow, those that do, do so out of ignorance.

Well obviously the Rebbetzin and all the ladies in the Shul I attend are ignorant!
It is the minhag in our Shul to bow all the way down ( on our knees and head to the floor; not flat on the floor!)

Last edited by Debbie on Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:13 am
I grew up with many women bowing all the way down.
In my present community, same.
I cant because of medical reasons, it would be very hard to get back up, but most women do it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:15 am
Iymnok wrote:
Dh said ladies don’t bow, those that do, do so out of ignorance. Dh brings a white bath towel and kneels to bow. Laying flat on the floor shows gaaiva and should only be done in the Beis Hamikdash.
and im sorry but your husband is saying THAT ouf of ignorance.
Women in every community ive lived in have always bowed.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 5:13 am
In Sh'or Yoshuv most of the women bowed on the floor.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 6:54 am
We used to daven in a litvishe shul in Flatbush and there was one woman who used to bow all the way down. But she was the only one out of 50 other women that did that. I’ve never seen that anywhere else and I’ve been to many types of Shuls in Yom Kippur over the course of my life.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 7:08 am
thunderstorm wrote:
We used to daven in a litvishe shul in Flatbush and there was one woman who used to bow all the way down. But she was the only one out of 50 other women that did that. I’ve never seen that anywhere else and I’ve been to many types of Shuls in Yom Kippur over the course of my life.

I didn't realize that all women DON'T bow down all the way until I was an adult.
Same way I never knew it was a thing for women to tovel erev YK until I got on Imamother. In my community growing up only men go and in my current community only a handful of women (with newage and/ or chassidish tendencies go)

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 8:41 am
Growing up we davened in a litvish yeshiva and all the women did bow down to the floor. They passed around papers and everyone went all the way down, including the older rebbetzins. Where I daven now hardly anyone kneels all the way down.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 10:58 am
I've never seen papers or stuff on the floor. Kehilos I went ranged from Orthodox in name to mostly charedi. I can remember maybe one or two sightings over decades. Also I don't need to have to explain why I don't, whether bh pregnant, or my back, or whatever else. It will also literally send me into a head ache, I assume. Just nope.

BadTichelDay

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 5:02 pm
Want a little post-yom kippur laugh? As I wrote further up, in our shul bowing all the way down is the norm. And so I did it again, but this time with a funny little complication. It was all a bit cramped and narrow in the aisle. And at the second bowing the lady in front of me managed to land her rear end on the top of my head! B"H my tichel held and wasn't knocked off. But boy, it was silly and I had to giggle. Wonder what I did to deserve a tuches on my head?! I hope my tefillot weren't that bad... (and I hope she is not on here, but I think not).

sub

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 9:01 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I learned that the towel or paper must go between your FACE and the floor. Not knees.
Anyone got more info on this?

Your head is not allowed to touch the floor. Perhaps that is the reason for the towels. And woman do not have to do it. They can if they want to. Everyone should do what their מנהג is.
How many here bow when the chazzan says ברוך כבוד during קדושה? Did you know that you are not supposed to?
We need to learn hilchos tfilla in shul. And find out what is מנהג and what is halacha.
Maybe someone here can start a thread with this info.

chestnut

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 9:41 pm
perquacky wrote:
I do. The older I get, though, the harder it is to get back up again! (Especially on RH, when I was wearing heels and a very long dress . . .)
My only question remains whether I need to put something on the floor to kneel on if there's carpeting in shul. I was never clear on whether the barrier between your knees and the floor only pertained to stone floors.

My artscroll machzor says it's a tradition to put a separation even if there's carpet on the floor

abaker

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 9:42 pm
perquacky wrote:
I do. The older I get, though, the harder it is to get back up again! (Especially on RH, when I was wearing heels and a very long dress . . .)
My only question remains whether I need to put something on the floor to kneel on if there's carpeting in shul. I was never clear on whether the barrier between your knees and the floor only pertained to stone floors.

I just read in my chabad machzor today that it only applies to stone floors, not carpet, linoleum etc

ETA: the above poster and I posted just a minute apart. Interesting to see the varied opinions.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 7:25 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
Want a little post-yom kippur laugh? As I wrote further up, in our shul bowing all the way down is the norm. And so I did it again, but this time with a funny little complication. It was all a bit cramped and narrow in the aisle. And at the second bowing the lady in front of me managed to land her rear end on the top of my head! B"H my tichel held and wasn't knocked off. But boy, it was silly and I had to giggle. Wonder what I did to deserve a tuches on my head?! I hope my tefillot weren't that bad... (and I hope she is not on here, but I think not).

Oh boy! Smile
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur