Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Stomach virus/cramps/diarrhea- so nervous to fast!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 7:44 am
I woke up yesterday with terrible stomach pain and diarrhea. Was in bed all day yesterday and running to bathroom every 15 minutes. I thought forsure it wud be gone by today but I'm still having terrible crampy stomach pain and diarrhea with no appetite. I did drink almost 2 water bottles but way too nauseous to eat. Any tips how to survive the fast? I'm so nervous

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 7:58 am
Oh no, this is a terrible time to go without fluids for 25 hours Sad

Call a rav?

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 7:59 am
I’m no Dr.
I’m no Rav
If it were me
I would make sure I am not dehydrated
Perhaps get some Gatorade or Powerade to replace electrolytes
Take some Imodium to stop the diarrhea.

And just in case contact a Rav and have back up shiuyurim if the Rav allows.

Will you be home with very little ones that need attending?
Stay on couch as much as possible
Try to prep everything they need today so that you can do the minimal tomorrow.
Have sandwiches made, cereal in baggies, sippy cups with milk, etc, all ready to go that you can just open fridge and hand to them.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 8:03 am
Rabbonim get these questions all day today so try to get a hold of one. My DH was once told to do shiurim for that but ended up not needing to use it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 8:48 am
southernbubby wrote:
Rabbonim get these questions all day today so try to get a hold of one. My DH was once told to do shiurim for that but ended up not needing to use it.

Tx! Mg husband called and Rav told him this psak of shiurim. I'm trying to drink a lot today but feel like my diarrhea is way more often than I can possibly drink! (Sorry if TMI)

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 9:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tx! Mg husband called and Rav told him this psak of shiurim. I'm trying to drink a lot today but feel like my diarrhea is way more often than I can possibly drink! (Sorry if TMI)

You may be making it worse. Do you have time for a quick visit to an urgent care center? Could be you could have IV today.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 9:43 am
Did you take Imodium

naomi2

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 10:38 am
Call arav and ask if you can get an iv you can easily dehydrate and I dont think shiurim are enough

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 10:41 am
Pesto bismol can work miracles!

tichellady

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 10:43 am
I second Imodium. Feel better

amother
White

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 10:46 am
I hear you, OP. I am 21 weeks pregnant, and a had Rav already told me to drink and eat in shiurim (1oz food and 1oz. fluid every 9 minutes.) That's more than 6oz. of each per hour, which is enough, so I felt comfortable. Then, on Sunday, I woke up with a recurring GI issues – vomitting and diarrhea! I haven't kept anything down since Saturday night, and I am already feeling awful. What a horrible way to start the fast! I have a call in to a Rav. to find out what I should do. But I do stress that 6oz. an hour is enough to keep you hydrated. FOR SURE take immodium, and rest as much as possible. Feel better soon!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 11:01 am
Call a Rav. And whether you get through or not, keep Gatorade and shnaps size cups at home (for shiurim) in case you're very sick tomorrow.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 11:05 am
One year I got a stomach bug shortly after licht bentchen on Yom Kippur. I was in the bathroom the entire Yom Kippur, aside for the times I was nursing my baby. I barely davened at all! I was fine, though, B"H. The good part is that I wasn't hungry at all!

amother
White

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 11:32 am
Gatorade, coconut water, black tea, rice, bananas, applesauce, toast – hatzlacha!

shanarishona

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 8:08 pm
How were you today?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur