Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Which Rabbonim say to do IV instead of shiurim?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 5:39 pm
I am very curious how this works and why.

DD was just telling me it might be easier in a way because remembering to drink every 9 minutes is pretty difficult, and she's only allowed to start doing this when she starts to feel dizzy (she fasts horribly most of the time when she's nursing but not always, so she can't drink preventatively.)

Still, she says with her kids jumping on her it would be totally impractical to have an IV.

But I'm still so puzzled. If halachically someone is a choleh and allowed to have shiurim, why would they prefer a medical procedure? And why is a Rov saying to do this?

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:23 pm
Following, because I just don't get it.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 6:24 pm
My first pregnancy, I was told to do shiurim- but not when I get dizzy, from the beginning! If I would wait until dizzy, I would end up in the ER for IV... dizzy is too late. The Rav told me I cant go to shul, I should stay home to daven (remember, no kids yet, first pregnancy) so as not to exhaust myself and end up in the ER.
Every few weeks that pregnancy I had to go to the hospital for a day for some bags of fluids and we were trying to, and bh did, avoid going.

I am pregnant now, a more difficult pregnancy, and I am on home IV a whole time. I still will be doing food and drink shiurim for my own health and the babies health.
Tho truethfully for the baby, an IV for the day is enough. But for me, I can get reallly sick if I dont keep something in the stomach.

To note, we are stricly ultra orthodox and are not the type that look for heterim at all..I am always happy to do mehadrin mon hamihadrin. I also know what my body and baby needs and I dont feel bad about it.
The rav also told my husband that if he has to stay home to help with the kids, that he should.
I hired a [gentile] to help me for the day so I hope dh can stay in shul iyh!

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 8:20 pm
My Rav actually says that shiurim is better than IV for exactly that - IV is a medical procedure and we shouldn't get to that point of needing it.
If we are at the stage of needing IV we should be eating and drinking normally.

That said I know other Rabbanim who hold anything is better than putting food in our mouth so IV is a better choice.

It all depends on the Rav.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Oct 07 2019, 9:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am very curious how this works and why.

DD was just telling me it might be easier in a way because remembering to drink every 9 minutes is pretty difficult, and she's only allowed to start doing this when she starts to feel dizzy (she fasts horribly most of the time when she's nursing but not always, so she can't drink preventatively.)

Still, she says with her kids jumping on her it would be totally impractical to have an IV.

But I'm still so puzzled. If halachically someone is a choleh and allowed to have shiurim, why would they prefer a medical procedure? And why is a Rov saying to do this?

I posted on another thread abt doing IV. It's not like I was doing it all day long. I did a single bag in the am, which took a couple of hrs. When I'm pregnant, I dehydrate easily and already wake up parched. It helped to revive me and then kept me going for the rest of the day. Of course I still took it easy, didn't go to shul, mostly stayed on the couch, and was lightheaded again by the end of the day.
I'm glad this option worked out bc being busy with shiurim would've driven me nuts, and I was able to avoid actually drinking (tho I understand that sometimes that's the best option). We discussed with our rav before and he supported doing this if it would make drinking unnecessary and I was ok with it.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 10:40 am
No one, not even when I had to eat. It's imamother. I asked irl after hearing from it and got tochacha that it's dangerous and twisted

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:04 pm
Ruchel wrote:
No one, not even when I had to eat. It's imamother. I asked irl after hearing from it and got tochacha that it's dangerous and twisted

In Brooklyn it’s popular to do iv

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:21 pm
It depends on the personal circumstances.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:24 pm
Bobov in bp
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur