Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
What do you think of frum, female artists who put out a CD?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Choirmistress

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:47 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Last year I sat in the audience of a play performed by THE frummest, THE most yeshivish, THE most elite and selective high school this side of the Atlantic Ocean, and listened to the actresses sing a song which I instantly recognized as "Hallelu-yah" (the song about baby Je**sus) with some words substituted...

Hi, Anonymous Lemon.
If it's not the Leonard Cohen song as Urban Gypsy guessed, then would it possibly be the version done very popularly among l'havdil the non jews by huge groups such as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir? (CEE-ee-EE Gee AY Gee; CEE-ee-EE Gee AY Gee; Gee Gee AY Gee; Gee Gee AY Gee.... etc.)

urban gypsy

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 12:53 pm
Choirmistress wrote:
Hi, Anonymous Lemon.
If it's not the Leonard Cohen song as Urban Gypsy guessed, then would it possibly be the version done very popularly among l'havdil the non jews by huge groups such as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir? (CEE-ee-EE Gee AY Gee; CEE-ee-EE Gee AY Gee; Gee Gee AY Gee; Gee Gee AY Gee.... etc.)

Thank you for posting, I was wondering about this!
Really hope that Lemon comes back to clarify because I need details on this trainwreck!

Choirmistress

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:00 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
We need another Rochel Miller. So many female singers today sound like they're trying too hard. Too much exaggerated vibrato, too much falsetto... Rochel Miller sounded so genuine, her voice was so rich... I wish she still performed.

Hi again.
Forgive me if this is repetitious and even nagging, but I am STILL looking for the six missing syllables from Mrs. Miller's song Light Up My Way, and since you mentioned her name, I am taking a chance that you are familiar with some of her songs. I cannot make out the words to the first half of the second line of the chorus. I need the words between "...the way of our Torah" and "...the Mitzvos set me free." I have tried contacting Mrs. Miller personally with no success. I have lost my contact info for her. If you don't know the six syllables yourself, might you know someone who does?
Sorry if I'm being a noodj.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:13 pm
How does it work w the kol isha disclaimer? In a realistic scenario teen dd wouldn't play the music in house w men living there?

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:30 pm
Choirmistress wrote:
Hi, Anonymous Lemon.

I'm quite sure it's the Leonard Cohen version because I'm not familiar with the other one. I was always under the impression it was about Baby J based on the snippets and phrases I heard but I never delved into it. Oh well. Shows what I know...
Choirmistress, I know which Rochel Miller song you are referring to, and I even searched through my collection of old tapes to see if I can find her Tehilas Hashem recording which I believe has Light Up My Way on it. So far no luck. I'm sure I have it somewhere. If I can find it (whenever that may be) I'll try to listen and see what those words are.

urban gypsy

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:36 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I'm quite sure it's the Leonard Cohen version because I'm not familiar with the other one. I was always under the impression it was about Baby J based on the snippets and phrases I heard but I never delved into it. Oh well. Shows what I know...

Thank you for clarifying! I figured it was the LC version because it is extremely popular and has been covered a million times so chances are that is what they used
Oh man oh man I wish I would have been there to hear that mess!
FTR it's not about baby J but it's a mildly risque song about the love affairs of King David, Samson and the narrator. Pretty strong content for a BJ production LOL

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:38 pm
I'm impressed by their talent and think it's beautiful that they're using it in a productive way. I assume that they have done whatever halachic research/consultation they need to with regard to kol isha.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:39 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
How does it work w the kol isha disclaimer? In a realistic scenario teen dd wouldn't play the music in house w men living there?

Headphones have been a thing for at least 40 years now.

Choirmistress

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:54 pm
Quote:
Choirmistress, I know which Rochel Miller song you are referring to, and I even searched through my collection of old tapes to see if I can find her Tehilas Hashem recording which I believe has Light Up My Way on it. So far no luck. I'm sure I have it somewhere. If I can find it (whenever that may be) I'll try to listen and see what those words are.

Thanks, Lemon. Yes, it is Miller's debut Tehilas Hashem tape on which that track is found. As of this coming Thursday evening, iy"H, I shall be out of Internet touch until I reach my Yom Tov destination of Flatbush (my cousin). You can bet I'll be taking my copy of the cassette with me on this bus trip!

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 1:58 pm
Choirmistress wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, Lemon. Yes, it is Miller's debut Tehilas Hashem tape on which that track is found. As of this coming Thursday evening, iy"H, I shall be out of Internet touch until I reach my Yom Tov destination of Flatbush (my cousin). You can bet I'll be taking my copy of the cassette with me on this bus trip!

Enjoy!
I wish I could be your choir member! I love singing in choirs, and I miss those days...

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:01 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
Thank you for clarifying! I figured it was the LC version because it is extremely popular and has been covered a million times so chances are that is what they used
Oh man oh man I wish I would have been there to hear that mess!
FTR it's not about baby J but it's a mildly risque song about the love affairs of King David, Samson and the narrator. Pretty strong content for a BJ production LOL

The play was about a man who became frum (what else? Nobody ever goes off the derech in these plays, everyone becomes frum and lives happily ever after...) against the backdrop of the Alfred Dreyfuss trial in France. I wish I had recorded that song so I could remember what the words were

marina

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:10 pm
love that leonard cohen song!

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:27 pm
The tune from the Leonard Cohen song has already been "kashered" into Lecha Dodi for some people.

Choirmistress

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:39 pm
Hi, Anonymous Royalblue.
How would that work exactly? Because L'cha Dodi is usually done at a moderate to snappy pace. Cohen's Hallelujah is a slow ballad.
Colour me puzzled.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:43 pm
Choirmistress wrote:
Hi, Anonymous Royalblue.
How would that work exactly? Because L'cha Dodi is usually done at a moderate to snappy pace. Cohen's Hallelujah is a slow ballad.
Colour me puzzled.

It does sound a little weird.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Oct 08 2019, 2:43 pm
Choirmistress wrote:
Hi, Anonymous Royalblue.
Colour me puzzled.

everything to this tune gives me chills...

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 1:25 pm

Some people do say it's problematic. I in fact do know someone who privately made a CD, and only sells it privately. You need to promise her you won't pass it on, share it, upload it, or let any men hear it.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 9:01 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Some people do say it's problematic. I in fact do know someone who privately made a CD, and only sells it privately. You need to promise her you won't pass it on, share it, upload it, or let any men hear it.

Ok, I understand that. I would think if a womans music was very good it would get outside the very very chareidi community where people don't consider taped audio as kol isha. Also some super naive ultra sheltered girls, you'd be surprised what some aren't always aware of. And even with headphones around some people even young ones like to play music out loud.

Flip Flops

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 11:01 pm

I don't get the issue. She has to make sure that no men are around before she turns it on loud. Otherwise she can listen to it with earbuds.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 11:53 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
In theory I think it is great. Unfortunately, the ones that I have heard are SO cringeworthy. I know it is wrong, but I have only listened to them as a spoof.
I don't know if it is because there is such a limited market that the budget is low and so is the bar. But unless I am unfamiliar with all the good ones, all I think is oy. The most recent one I heard was childish, redundant, and preachy. I wish I could say nice things as I think it is fabulous in theory, women should have the opportunity to share their G-d given gifts, and I myself am a no-talent and tone-deaf.

So true !! What I’ve heard is either awful or a rip off of a secular song that’s sung so poorly and with new “hashem is great “ lyrics.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts