Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Is this what it’s supposed to be like?
Previous  1  2

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 9:04 pm
I know how serious it is after nearly losing my baby at 20 weeks. Luckily it was caught and I was immediately stitched up. This isn't something to play around with.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 9:27 pm
I am in my 8th with Diabetes/ Insulin. My dr did not let me fast. I did shiurim with eating/drinking. That's what my dayan advised. 1 oz food/drink not before 9 min apart. Still felt weaker than normal. Kept checking my sugar. Bh felt movements. Davened from couch. Nobody to help with my kids but bh we survived.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 9:33 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Yk you have one mitzvah and that is to fast. I'm going into my ninth Tom iyh. From 5pm and on I was having contractions every 2 min apart lasting abt 45 sec to a min long. I wasn't worried cuz I knew it's from dehydration. Was extremely uncomfortable and couldn't find a comfortable position. Now I'm in bed feeling soooo much worse, weaker and dizzier than I did 3 hrs ago. I say you have one and only mitzvah, if your health is ok and not compromised go with it.

Actually it’s not the only mitzvah on Yk. We also have a mitzvah to guard our souls, watch our health. And what you did is actually stupid and dangerous. I don’t know you but I’m almost 100% if your dr or rav knew what you did they’d advise against it.

For those who can’t fast, eating is a mitzvah. For those who are ill, eating is a mitzvah. I personally started taking shiurim duringthe afternoon because I am not currently so well and fasting was not the smartest thing for me right now. I held on as long as I could and then I said this is my mitzvah now. To take care of my body.

So don’t go being smarter than everyone. Killing yourself (or putting your baby in danger) isn’t a mitzvah just because it’s yk.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 9:42 pm
Rose, I am sure you had good intentions but you are misguided. Please speak to a Rav. If you were having contractions like that most likely he would say to break your fast let alone do Shiurim. Premature labor is no joke and you are putting your baby at risk. Even going into labor 4 weeks early although technically not premature is really not ideal for your baby.
Please call your doctor ASAP and go get your baby checked. This is really not funny. Hatzlacha!!

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 9:48 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Yk you have one mitzvah and that is to fast. I'm going into my ninth Tom iyh. From 5pm and on I was having contractions every 2 min apart lasting abt 45 sec to a min long. I wasn't worried cuz I knew it's from dehydration. Was extremely uncomfortable and couldn't find a comfortable position. Now I'm in bed feeling soooo much worse, weaker and dizzier than I did 3 hrs ago. I say you have one and only mitzvah, if your health is ok and not compromised go with it.

I'm pregnant too. My rav told me that if I start feeling contractions, I should drink a ton of water. (If I'm just feeling very weak, I should do shiurim). Bh was able to fast the whole thing without needing shiurim by just staying in bed/on the couch all day. I was told not to daven, but I did end up davening a bit sitting down. Hope you're starting to feel better by now!

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 11:34 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
My baby is moving around bh nicely. Contractions stopped shortly after I started eating and drinking. So what if I feel week and dizzy? It's very common for many ppl to feel worse after a fast than during. I have it when I'm nursing too. So what? What's the alarm?

You literally posted that you're feeling WORSE than you did 3 hours prior, remember?

I would absolutely be alarmed if I was in your situation.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Oct 09 2019, 11:48 pm
I'm in my 4th, and felt terrible the day before yk. I called a rav before you, just in case, so that I know what to do. He said to drink shiurim if I throw up. I did- right by the zman. I cried, and really didn't want to take a drink. I remembered what a poster wrote here on erev yk. Even though she was able to go on while feeling terrible, she had to consider her unborn baby, who has no other source of nutrition (thanks amother, that was amazing Chizzuk to me). I drank 2 oz of orange juice, 10 minutes apart, and had in mind that I'm mekayem the Mitzvah of vnishmartem.
Felt a bit better and was able to fast till the end bh.
Rabanim and doctors are there for a reason!

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 12:00 am
I haven't been pregnant in over a decade, but isn't contractions a sign that the baby is uncomfortable and wants to come out? Deliberately dehydrating an unborn baby that's causing frantic contractions is alarming to me. You have to wonder what goes through someone's mind at a time like this.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 3:26 am
groisamomma wrote:
I haven't been pregnant in over a decade, but isn't contractions a sign that the baby is uncomfortable and wants to come out? Deliberately dehydrating an unborn baby that's causing frantic contractions is alarming to me. You have to wonder what goes through someone's mind at a time like this.

This! Would you feel it was ok for a nursing woman to fast and see her baby is hungry and not do anything about it?? (Outside you can tell and give bottles...but while pregnant you can’t)

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 4:00 am
Having a baby 4-5 weeks early is no joke . My daughter who was born at 35 weeks and 5 lbs had a lot of trouble eating in the beginning . Yes it might sound like a nice idea but you are risking harm to your baby .
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur