Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Yom Kippur or Tisha B'Av?`
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 9:31 am
Gut Yontiff is Yiddish; Chag Sameach is Hebrew. The meaning is the same and they are equally appropriate greetings on YK.

Flip Flops

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 10:02 am
Thanks to all for the validation - and I'm not even talking about saying good yom tov or chag sameiach here - just smiling to someone in shul to acknowledge them!

professor

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 10:11 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Would you say good Yom tov?

I do

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 10:15 am
I would never say chag sameach on yk, just gmar tov. For me it’s a serious, solemn day. Definitely not my happiest day of the year! But fasting is hard for me, I prefer the holidays when we can eat. Laugh

miami85

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 10:17 am
I'm not for being "anti-social" on YK necessarily but I do tend to have a sort of "tunnel vision." When I was single and could focus on my davening all day and I was in a shul that typically went all day with almost no break, I just wanted to stay focused--I tended to not wear a lot of makeup and dressed fairly simply for a yom tov b/c I wanted to be comfortable. I used to stay at my brother's house--who is a very conscientious Jew, usually tries to do the "right thing" in all situations. And when he would try to have "meaningful conversation" it felt weird but I learned that its ok. Now married with kids, I would say gut yom tov, but most women I saw were davening (I wasn't coming/going during usual breaks). I think it also comes from trying to stay away from anything that might turn into lashon hara.

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 10:43 am
My main social concern on YK is breath! I try not to get too close to people lest I offend them or vice versa. Maybe that fear accounts for some of the tight-lipped smiles. I go for the smile-and-nod greeting myself except when passing people in the street, in which case we’re far enough from each other for bad breath not to be detectable when exchanging verbal greetings.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 10:48 am
Some people even do a tanis dibur on Yom Kippur.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics