Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby girl name

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 4:17 pm
Is it customary to name a baby girl after a grandfather who passed away? All of our other grandparents who passed away have someone named after them except my grandfather who’s name was Yakov (Jacob) and my mom has asked if I can name baby after him. We are expecting a girl though. The name doesn’t have a great meaning (supplanter) so maybe a name starting with J or Y? Any ideas for how to honor him with baby’s name? Thanks!

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 4:25 pm
People do name girls for boys and vice versa but I find it interesting personally. When baby is born I would say I would have loved to name for grandfather but it’s a girl.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 4:26 pm
Yocheved

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 4:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it customary to name a baby girl after a grandfather who passed away? All of our other grandparents who passed away have someone named after them except my grandfather who’s name was Yakov (Jacob) and my mom has asked if I can name baby after him. We are expecting a girl though. The name doesn’t have a great meaning (supplanter) so maybe a name starting with J or Y? Any ideas for how to honor him with baby’s name? Thanks!

We named our youngest in memory of my grandfather. She doesn’t have a female version of his name, just a name with multiple same letters.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 4:28 pm
I know women named Yakovah.
(And others named Masha, and Avroma, and Yosepha)
While I would say to name a girl after a woman and boy after a man, I didn't name my daughter after my grandfather for that reason, and then never had sons. Hindsight, I wish I would have named for him.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 5:07 pm
You could name her Rochel Leah (or just one or the other). Ishto kegufo. I named after a grandfather named Aharon and gave my daughter the second name Elisheva.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names