Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Help a clueless mom with the basics
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:26 pm
I’m totally clueless when it comes to cooking, I cook very simple foods.
Looking for some kid friendly fleishik foods.
Specifically wondering how to make a deli roll, meat loaf, and those mini hot dogs wrapped in dough.
So embarrassed that I need to ask this -I feel like this is something all frum women know how to make. And embarrassed that I want to make those for Y”T. But my kids don’t really like roasts or other fancy meats, nor are they crazy about chicken. Meatballs are to ordinary in our home.
If anyone can give me a very SIMPLE recipe with exact instructions for any of the above I’d really appreciate it!! (Other simple kid friendly proteins welcome as well.) Thanks!

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:36 pm
I find this is the easiest way to make deli roll https://cookingwithtantrums.co.....olls/ when I make it with a full sheet of pastry I have a hard time getting it to cook evenly so I started making them mini. She has great instructions.

My kids love any food I serve on a stick or toothpick.

Also anything you can make your own like this: https://damndelicious.net/2013.....bowl/ and then I cut up different veggies and everyone makes their own bowl. I serve it buffet style. You can do the same with taco spiced beef. and little bowls of toppings.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:36 pm
Deli roll is very easy!
Lay out a sheet of puff pastry.
Brush with mustard/honey or duck sauce.
Lay out thin slices of deli meat, leaving an open inch at one end.
Roll up into a jelly roll, tucking that last inch under it to seal it.
Brush with some egg.
Bake.

Mini hot dogs can also be made with puff pastry!
Just lay out squares of puff pastry and wrap a hot dog in them.
If you want hot dog bites, first cut the hot dog into chunks and then wrap in smaller pieces.
Bake until the puff pastry looks flaky (hot dogs are pre-cooked).

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:37 pm
I really like this meatloaf recipe and its not a lot of steps or weird ingredients. https://www.foodnetwork.com/re.....21718

lucky14

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:46 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I find this is the easiest way to make deli roll https://cookingwithtantrums.co.....olls/ when I make it with a full sheet of pastry I have a hard time getting it to cook evenly so I started making them mini. She has great instructions.

My kids love any food I serve on a stick or toothpick.

Also anything you can make your own like this: https://damndelicious.net/2013.....bowl/ and then I cut up different veggies and everyone makes their own bowl. I serve it buffet style. You can do the same with taco spiced beef. and little bowls of toppings.

I was about to post the link to the first recipe but saw you already did. Great and easy recipe.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:47 pm
Op I don't know if you have a Costco membership or if you are even in the U.S. but they sell the mini franks and blanks for quite cheap. I think it's 100 pieces for $18.

And by the way, it's nothing to feel bad about making simple foods. It's all about what your family will enjoy.
I don't cook exotic either. It'll stay untouched. My kids want a good chicken soup, shnitzel and simple apple pie. There's nothing wrong with that!
I try to make new things here and there to expand their taste palette a bit but I don't make myself crazy.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:48 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I really like this meatloaf recipe and its not a lot of steps or weird ingredients. https://www.foodnetwork.com/re.....21718

We like this, but skip the extra sugar

https://www.platingsandpairing.....cipe/

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:52 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Op I don't know if you have a Costco membership or if you are even in the U.S. but they sell the mini franks and blanks for quite cheap. I think it's 100 pieces for $18.

And by the way, it's nothing to feel bad about making simple foods. It's all about what your family will enjoy.
I don't cook exotic either. It'll stay untouched. My kids want a good chicken soup, shnitzel and simple apple pie. There's nothing wrong with that!
I try to make new things here and there to expand their taste palette a bit but I don't make myself crazy.

I’ll take your apple pie recipe too please Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:53 pm
Thank you all, these recipes look gr8! I know it was simple, but still needed to know what to do. Really appreciate it!!

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:56 pm
I made this for the shabbos before RH and my kids are begging me to make it again for sukkos. Pounding out the chicken breast is a great stress releiver. I used a frying pan since I dont have a meat mallet.

https://soulandstreusel.com/ho.....atsu/

tweety1

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:57 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Deli roll is very easy!
Brush with some egg.
Bake.

If you want hot dog bites, first cut the hot dog into chunks and then wrap in smaller pieces.

I do this deli roll rugalach style. It's delicious and a good meal on the road

asmileaday

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 2:57 pm
Apple Pie Crumble
4 cups flour
4tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2tsp vanilla sugar
1 cup oil
Mix till crumbly. Divide in 2. (I usually freeze the crumbs and use as needed for smaller pans of apple pie. This recipe is for a cookie sheet.)

10 cortland apples, shredded
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp lemon juice

Press half the crumbs onto a cookie sheet. Pour apples mixture on top. Sprinkle the rest of the crumbs on top.

Bake on 350 for about 1 1/2 hours.

You can make these in individual cupcake sizes if you're feeling a little fancy. Bake for less time.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 3:01 pm
Doughless knishes are also easy, simple and a little nicer than plain mashed potatoes.

5 potatoes (Idaho, loose) cooked and mashed
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup flour
Salt and black pepper to taste

Blend. Scoop with an ice cream scoop (I fill the scoop only halfways) onto a lined cookie sheet. Smear a beaten egg and sprinkle sesame seeds.
Bake on 350 till golden approximately 35-40 minutes.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 3:02 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Deli roll is very easy!
Brush with some egg.
Bake.

How long to bake deli roll?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 3:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How long to bake deli roll?

You want it to be just golden on top. Make sure to line the pan with parchment paper and a little extra pan spray, because it can really stick to the bottom.

I like to make mine with apricot or strawberry jam, turkey deli, and pastrami. I also sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top after it's cooled a bit.

Never feel bad about cooking questions! It's the best way to learn, especially if you don't learn well from just Googling recipes. It doesn't come naturally to everyone, just like cleaning isn't something that everyone is good at right away (or ever, like me!)

Don't worry if your food doesn't look like the fancy magazines. If your family is happy, that's all that matters.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 3:26 pm
Pretzel dogs - cut up hot dogs, cut strips of mazors pizza dough, wrap around hot dogs. Boil water, shut flame, pour in baking soda. Place wrapped hot dogs in water for about 20 seconds. Sprinkle with sea salt, bake on 350 until golden. Huge hit with all kids.

cbsp

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 3:29 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Pretzel dogs - cut up hot dogs, cut strips of mazors pizza dough, wrap around hot dogs. Boil water, shut flame, pour in baking soda. Place wrapped hot dogs in water for about 20 seconds. Sprinkle with sea salt, bake on 350 until golden. Huge hit with all kids.

This sounds awesome. Do you have precise measurements (how much water? Baking soda? Approximate baking time?)

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 3:56 pm
cbsp wrote:
This sounds awesome. Do you have precise measurements (how much water? Baking soda? Approximate baking time?)

No I’m terrible at giving over these kinds of recipes. I use enough water to cover the hot dogs, although you don’t have to put them all in at once. And I just dump in some baking soda. I put in and take out with slotted spoon and place on plate with paper towels to soak up the moisture. Then lay in pan or cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Re cooking time, I just check on it. Sorry can’t be more helpful 😬

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 4:02 pm
Frank's in blanks
Roll up a hot dog in a puff pastry square. Cut into 4 pieces. (It's much easier to cut after rolled than to cut the hot dog and roll each little piece) Brush with egg and sprinkle sesame seeds. Bake at 400 till dough is puffed up and golden.
Enjoy!!

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 7:30 pm
And what’s wrong with meatballs, yum
With different sauces it could be fancy.

You can do tacos one night and beef Bolognese, I.e. beefaroni, another night

My kids like chicken and rice casserole and yellow rice with hotdog slice

Some ppl do dairy during the day meals.

Make food your family will enjoy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics