Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Easy meals

hindas

Post Fri, Nov 30 2007, 5:17 am
Anyone got any easy /quick meals to share.
I come home around 5pm with myyoungest and need to prepare a meal for 5 people. Not young kids so not pizza every night Wink
Looking for suggestions, thanks Hinda
and ps Im NO gourmet cook Rolling Eyes

Gela

Post Fri, Nov 30 2007, 6:27 am
broiled or baked chicken or fish, three minute prep and 10 minute cooking for fish and more for chicken but don't have to fuss over.
couscous (takes less than 5 minutes) or potatos cooked with the chicken (just cut, don't peel, saves time)
steamed veggies or salad, or roasted veggies cooked at the same time as the chicken/fish

That's are dinner, just different veggies and different spices and ways to cook the chicken and different broiled fish.

Simple, quick and delicious.

Raisin

Post Fri, Nov 30 2007, 6:31 am
Nothing very original but ...

Pasta with tomato sauce. Add vegetables, whatever you like, (I use mushrooms, onion, garlic, pepper) and grated cheese when you serve.

Pasta or rice with meat sauce.

Tuna patties. (tuna, eggs, matza meal and some other stuff and fry)

Baked potatoes with different toppings (tuna, cheese) and a vegetable side dish.

easy side dishes - Wash cut up potoates (sweet potatoes also) into wedges or chips. Add olive oil and any flavourings you like. Roast in oven till cooked.

Israeli couscous. Follow instructions on pack.

Rice. Mix 2 cups rice, 4 c water, 3 tbsp oil, some soy sace and soup mix and bake covered for about 40 mins at 180deg C.

catonmylap

Post Fri, Nov 30 2007, 8:03 am
What time do you eat supper?

Crockpot meals can be useful if you are organized enough in the morning.
Or you could just make a soup in the crockpot.
Otherwise:

-chicken (baked with potatoes), I just sprinkle the chicken with paprika, garlic salt, and pepper, cut up potatoes and put in pan, and bake.
-snitzel
-stir fry with tofu and veggies-add garlic and soy sauce, serve with rice or noodles
-lasanya (if you have already prepared sauce and enough time to let it cook)
-pasta dishes
-fish snitzel (those I just take out of the freezer & microwave, works well when I'm very short on time)

LookingForward

Post Fri, Nov 30 2007, 9:59 am
Tacos - and the kids love 'em!
Take ground beef out of the freezer the night before - and put it in the fridge. By the time you come home from work, you just have to throw it in a skillet over medium-low flame and mix till it's all brown, just a few minutes. Add Taco spice seasoning (that little blue pouch) according to the package directions, mix meat, and then it can simmer while you warm up the tacos and dice up some veggies. Of course, you might want to turn on the oven as soon as you walk in so that it preheats (for the tacos) while you do the meat.

Starhavah

Post Fri, Nov 30 2007, 11:50 am
Make extra on Shabbos or cook a big thing on Sunday so all you have to do during the week is take it out of the fridge and reheat in the microwave.

Turkey is cheaper than chicken here so I buy turkeys. I make it for Shabbos in 3 different ways (I divide the trukey in thirds, see below) then after Shabbos I take the left overs and freeze it in single serve containers or family meal size. Then I can pull out, for instance a container of breast meat one morning and make turkey tacos when I get home from work, and a container of dark meat that was cooked with mushrooms and onions the next day and just reheat with rice.

BTW, get a rice cooker. All you have to do is check the rice and throw it in with water. The rice comes out perfect every time and you do not have to watch it so that it doesn't burn (a busy Mom's best friend!).

Triple threat turkey by Star Havah

Defrost your turkey

Cut off the legs, wings, and neck make as you would chicken soup (add the breast carcass from the last turkey if you saved it for more flavor).

Cut off the back and thighs. Break the spine and put this in the bottom of a crock pot. Cover with 2 large onions, 6 garlic cloves carrots, potatoes and 8 oz of fresh mushrooms that have been quartered. If mushroom were bought cut or have dried out a bit add a cup of water to the bottom of the pot, if not this will not need water as long as the mushrooms are on top. On top of the mushrooms add a kiske. Spice to taste. I usally add pepper and oregano. Cook overnight on low power.

All you have left of your turkey is the breast. Roast and stuff as you would a whole bird.

Tip freeze all gravy seperately from the meats.

When you are done you have the makings of a huge number of meals, all different. You can make turkey sandwiches out of the breast and left over challah, the dark meat is fantastic over brown rice. You have soup for 2-3 Shabboses depending on your families size. You can make stir fry or pot pie out of the left over breast meat...the possibilies are endless. I keep a big supply of canned cranberry sauce on hand for a quick dinner I whip out roast turkey, cranberry sauce and gravy (there never is left over stuffing Very Happy ) and make a salad. Also I find I am more willing to get a salad on the table after work if it come out of a bag. Eventhough it is more expensive that way, try it it might help.

Shabbat Shalom all,
Star Havah

Starhavah

Post Fri, Nov 30 2007, 11:52 am
LookingForward wrote:
Tacos - and the kids love 'em!
Take ground beef out of the freezer the night before - and put it in the fridge. By the time you come home from work, you just have to throw it in a skillet over medium-low flame and mix till it's all brown, just a few minutes. Add Taco spice seasoning (that little blue pouch) according to the package directions, mix meat, and then it can simmer while you warm up the tacos and dice up some veggies. Of course, you might want to turn on the oven as soon as you walk in so that it preheats (for the tacos) while you do the meat.

For variety I also make tacos with fake meat so we can put cheese on top.
It is just as easy.

Star Havah
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics