Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
"Chuck" kolichel? Like the smaller one???

little neshamala

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 4:20 pm
HELP! I usually use what evergreen calls "kolichel" in my cholent and stews. I put it in whole, so it stays tender, and is absolutely delicious. Its usually about the size of a raw loaf of gefilte fish, maybe a bit thiner and longer.

Today my husband bought the only kolichel he saw, which says "chuck kolichel" and is MUCH bigger. Its 3 lb., roughly the size of a football. It is clearly not the same "kolichel".

Anyone know what this is? How does it compare? I need to use it both in a stew, and in cholent. What do I do?

No, I cant call the meat department, nobody answers.

Thanks in advance!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 4:24 pm
There's shoulder kolichel and and I think shank kolichel which is much smaller and needs much longer slower cooking like in cholent.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 9:13 pm
So this larger sized kolichel can go in a stew? I guess I would need to cut it up? Do you know how long it would need to cook?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 9:33 pm
little neshamala wrote:
So this larger sized kolichel can go in a stew? I guess I would need to cut it up? Do you know how long it would need to cook?

It should be very good in stew. If you're doing it in the crockpot stew is good on low for 9-10 hours.

Or keep it whole and make it like a roast in the crockpot.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 9:57 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It should be very good in stew. If you're doing it in the crockpot stew is good on low for 9-10 hours.

Or keep it whole and make it like a roast in the crockpot.

What about not in a crockpot?
I make a stew that usually only takes about 3 hours maybe a bit more...the smaller kolichel goes in whole and is super tender towards the end. What would you recommend I do with this big kolichel for a stovetop stew?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 9:58 pm
little neshamala wrote:
What about not in a crockpot?
I make a stew that usually only takes about 3 hours maybe a bit more...the smaller kolichel goes in whole and is super tender towards the end. What would you recommend I do with this big kolichel for a stovetop stew?

You can make the same stew with this. You can cube it if you want.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 10:04 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You can make the same stew with this. You can cube it if you want.

Thank you so much.
Interesting thing, with the smaller kolichel I noticed that when I cube it it doesnt come out as soft, which is why I started putting it in whole.
But this one is so big I dont know if it would fit in my pot whole, and if it would, im thinking it would take a lot more time to cook until tender....
So maybe ill just cut it into larger pieces?
Ah, I dont know. I dont usually go crazy like this over cooking, but this stew is a family favorite and I dont want to ruin it...theyve all been begging for it for sukkos.
Ahhh, the pressure! Lol

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 10:17 pm
I hope it works out wonderfully! No reason it shouldn't. Chag Sameach!

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 10:20 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Thank you so much.
Interesting thing, with the smaller kolichel I noticed that when I cube it it doesnt come out as soft, which is why I started putting it in whole.
But this one is so big I dont know if it would fit in my pot whole, and if it would, im thinking it would take a lot more time to cook until tender....
So maybe ill just cut it into larger pieces?
Ah, I dont know. I dont usually go crazy like this over cooking, but this stew is a family favorite and I dont want to ruin it...theyve all been begging for it for sukkos.
Ahhh, the pressure! Lol

I know what you are referring to. The large one is great in stew. Cut it up into pieces. I’ve done very slow and low cooking with the stew and it was very tender. I also use the smaller kolichel whole in my cholent.
I have also used large chunks of the larger one in my cholent and that was good too.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 10:38 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I know what you are referring to. The large one is great in stew. Cut it up into pieces. I’ve done very slow and low cooking with the stew and it was very tender. I also use the smaller kolichel whole in my cholent.
I have also used large chunks of the larger one in my cholent and that was good too.

Oooh thank you! When youve done the larger one cut up for a stew, any idea about how long you cooked it for? Ive never done my stew for longer than 3-4 hours.

Also, do you remember how small you cut it up? Like the size of an egg? Half an egg? Orange? Lol sorry thats the way my mind works Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics