Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
What to make with ground beef for yom tov
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:25 pm
My kids like meatballs but I'm having company and want to feel a little classier. Suggestions please?

sky

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:29 pm
Eggplant rollitini
I make this. https://www.chabad.org/recipes.....e.htm
But use bottled marinara sauce. And 1/2 the meet. Serve over spaghetti or spaghetti squash.

Lasagna rollups - I do in sweet sauce

Lasagna

Stuffed manicotti

Served over chummus with pita chips - more of a fancy side dish or appetizer

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:47 pm
Ground beef taco's
Ground beed eggrolls
Stuffed cabbage
Meatloaf served with a good sauce

egam

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 12:07 am
Moussaka
Stuffed peppers, eggplants or zucchini

seeker

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 1:03 am
I'm not feeling inspired Sad Lasagna and tacos sound like casual weekday meals. I never met a meatloaf that impressed. Rollatini sounds like I would make a mess out of it and end up with sloppy joes. Stuffed anything... I dunno.

tichellady

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 1:07 am
Meatballs are fine for company or Italian wedding soup with meatballs and orzo in it

I like to make Korean beef with ground beef and serve with jasmine rice and Koreanish sides

Or make lahamajin

Elfrida

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 1:19 am
For Succot, stuffed cabbage. Which takes time, but is not difficult.

Or a more straightforward option could be stuffed peppers. Just cut the top off and put your meat mixture into them. Some mix it with (cooked) rice, some don't. Pour a sauce over (most people use a tomato based sauce, but use whatever you like) and put it in the oven. Use the tops of the peppers for salad.

seeker

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 1:23 am
K this is sounding creative. Will google what Italian wedding soup and Korean beef might be.

I'm a little confused about meatballs being a yom tov dish. My mother served meatballs as a yom tov dish and frankly we all love them so that should be good, but on the other hand she also served meatballs as a weekday supper and so do I (not often because I don't often have the patience to stand around rolling balls but it's still a regular supper.) So, does serving it in nicer bowls suddenly make it yom tov food? Submitting this to the imamother panel for judgment because I have a bunch of kids on the roster for one meal, and only one of the kids I know for sure likes roast brisket and one seems the type. Trying to decide which thing to serve which day, I'm not very experienced with this. Day 1 I have adult company, day 2 I have more adults plus kids. I thought I'd serve the nicer meat to the more people but now I'm thinking maybe roast the first day and if there's a nice amount left over then I will put it out alongside another more regular dish the second day. Likelihood of nice amount left over is low, though, according to the serving suggestions given on my "which meat to buy" thread. AUGH I wish I had never taken a hiatus from hosting because I have completely forgotten how to just pick food to make. Watch me start a new thread tomorrow with indecision about sides (I'm not too bad with this. Each meal will have a basic salad, a different type of roasted veggie, and either rice or quinoa salad, with a guest bringing a kugel type thing. So I think we're set) and desserts (we have a cake DD made for RH that we didn't get around to eating so I froze it. That's one. Will buy fruit. Maybe someone will bring something else.)

seeker

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 1:27 am
By the way if any of my guests are here on imamother reading this, please do not misinterpret - I am over the moon excited to have you, and I am not at all stressed! I am looking forward and I enjoy cooking and I already own all the ingredients, I'm just indecisive is all! I AM VERY HAPPY YOU ARE COMING and I repeat not at all stressed. I don't stress easily over things like cooking. I stress over paperwork, laundry, work deadlines, household routines and scheduling, but BH getting ready for Shabbos and yom tov are not my struggles. I love you all and if you want to bring a salad or dessert that's great Wink

(things that could happen when you aren't anonymous online)

zohar

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:51 am
Meat knishes

imasinger

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 4:25 am
My favorite ground beef meal in the sukkah is chili. It's hot and filling in cold nights.

But here's my 2 cents.

What makes it a YT meal is the ambience of eating in the sukkah, the guests and singing and divrei Torah, and maybe the extra courses and sides. The excitement and happiness of parents and kids who have gotten a reasonable amount of attention and rest.

All of which happen better if I haven't driven myself insane trying to make something fancy enough.

One pot mains can make cleanup easier too.

In short, if your family likes meatballs, then make meatballs! Why not?

JMO.

Raisin

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 5:13 am
to me roast chicken is exclusively for shabbos and yom tov, but lots of people serve it during the week too.

Meatballs are fine for a yom tov meal, although I would probably do with rice rather then spaghetti. I also make morrocan meat turnovers, and I have made stuffed aubergine.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 6:28 am
Lasagna (fake cheese)
Bolognese

livinginflatbus

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 7:20 am
Busy in Brooklyn has a great recipe for bourbon peach meatballs . It’s definitely classier than regular and great as an appetizer served over rice and pasta .

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 7:49 am
You can make samboosak. Delicious. Is a pastry dough with chopped meat inside. I modified the receipe and saved it to my phone because it was such a hit.

Empanadas are always well received. Those are Spanish meat patties. You can do Jamaican meat patties also.

Shepard's pie is a delish meat and potato dish with a nice presentation.

Korean beef that someone mentioned is a nice change.

You can do wide noodle dish with a meat sauce - beef bolognese with pappardelle pasta.

ETA - I have a set of plans that makes a fancy meatloaf. They were an inexpensive investment. It makes a brick with in the meatloaf which can be filled with rice, potatoes, vegetables. When you slice it, it makes a pretty presentation. The pans were around $10. You can do the same with a rectangle pressed in the middle. I can explain further if this is of interest.

trixx

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 8:12 am
I would love to eat meatballs as a guest. Why not?
@onelifetoeat on insta just posted French onion meatballs which look divine

karat

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 8:16 am
You could serve it as appetizer-filled flaky dough topped with mushroom sauce.
You could use malawach dough as an alternative to flaky dough.

Last edited by karat on Fri, Oct 11 2019, 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 8:42 am
tichellady wrote:
Meatballs are fine for company or Italian wedding soup with meatballs and orzo in it

I like to make Korean beef with ground beef and serve with jasmine rice and Koreanish sides

Or make lahamajin

I don't want to hijack the thread, but this all sounds delicious. Please post the recipes!

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 8:48 am
Also, I've both had meatballs as a guest and served meatballs as a hostess. I make a different recipe for weekdays and a recipe handed down to my MIL from her grandmother for Yom Tov, which makes it special just because it's reserved for special occasions.

cbg

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 8:53 am
You can make a roullade wrapped in puff pastry
Basically it’s a stuffed meatloaf
1 meat loaf recipe
Thinly sliced pastrami
1 spinach kugel recipe
Flatten the meat loaf onto a piece of foil
Lay pastrami on top
Spread spinach on top
Roll like a jelly roll

You can bake just like this