Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Please enlighten me.....

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:12 pm
......I get subtly pleased when someone gets out in their place. Like for example they did something not nice to another person and the receiving person gives that person a good lesson (hopefully).
I just came across a post on another social media site where a woman overheard 2 women talking about her in Yiddish. This woman turned around and put them in their place in Yiddish. Unfortunately these 2 women were chasidish. Seeing this as a chasidish woman who does not understand or speak Yiddish and doesn’t have the patience to learn it (convert!!), I immediately felt subtle satisfaction at the comeback of the receiving person. Or maybe it’s because I’m a somewhat snarky person. But then I felt angry and sad.
Because it paints chasidim as ignorant and hateful. I was fortunate to meet people who aren’t like this BH. But this type of behavior sickens me. It’s just not how Jews behave.

But seriously: WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THAT’S OKAY TO TALK ABOUT ANOTHER PERSON LIKE THAT?
What is this? Ignorance? What?

Edited: I realize I made a mistake. This wasn’t meant to attack a certain group. But yes I am saddened by this behavior.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:14 pm
Dunno. The two Hispanic workers in the supermarket thought my blue eyes were beautiful and thought nothing about discussing the rest of me...all in Spanish. So no, it's not a cultural thing.

Nice try.

singleagain

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:20 pm
It's def awesome when karama gets ppl right away. There are so many stories of people talking smack in a different language only to find that they are understood

ssspectacular

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:21 pm
OP, we haven't put away our Yom Kippur machzorim yet. Please stop with the loshon hara!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:22 pm
Okay I realized that I made a mistake. Gonna edit.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

singleagain

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:22 pm
https://www.brainjet.com/rando.....ange/

https://www.tickld.com/wow/209.....eard/

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 2:34 pm
I was once on the subway in NYC and overheard a conversation in French. One said to the other that since Americans typically don't bother to learn other languages, they could have a really graphic and inappropriate convo and no one would know. So they proceeded to do just that, just because they could.

My family is Moroccan and I speak French pretty well. I understood every word of what they said. When I got off at my stop, I told them, in French, that I hoped they were enjoying their stay in New York. The looks on their faces were pretty hilarious!

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 3:18 pm
My friend was by a fundraiser for a school where most food was made by the parents. A women sitting next to her was complaining that the miniatures were gross. My friend said" that's too bad cause I made it!" The. Women was horrified. A few minutes later my friend said " I didn't make it, but it could've been me who made it"

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 4:34 pm
People are like that way too often. Last Monday, my two coworkers were SHOCKED to learn that I had been instructed by a Rav to eat and drink in shirum on YK. THEY had fasted for ALL their pregnancies - even when the one was pregnant with twins! They switched their shocked tones of voice to speaking in Hebrew (I don't know it, but what are the chances they weren't talking about me?) Whatever.

honeymoon

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 6:05 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Dunno. The two Hispanic workers in the supermarket thought my blue eyes were beautiful and thought nothing about discussing the rest of me...all in Spanish. So no, it's not a cultural thing.

Nice try.

The same thing happened to me. And I told the guys off for it. The looks on their faces... Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette