Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Pickled French Roast- different in every store?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 10:41 am
I used to buy pickled french roast in Kehilla Butcher in Bp. I would bake it with onions and that's it. It had a delicious deep flavor.

I moved and bought a pickled french roast in Seasons Lakewood. Baked it the same way.

I tasted it and it's just salty. No flavor to it.

Do different butchers pickle their meats differently? Was I supposed to bake it with more ingredients?

I'm so disappointed. I feel like I wasted my money. There was nobody in the store to ask how to cook it. So I assumed pickled is pickled. Can't be too different.

I can probably still save it with a sauce but then my kids won't like it. They don't like anything sweet. They liked the pickled taste from Kehilla (yeah the joys of picky eaters).

So I want to know for next yomtov, do different stores have different recipes for pickling?
And if yes, does anyone know who does it in Lakewood the most similar to Kehilla butcher or Satmar Meats?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 11:21 am
Each place pickles differently.
I always add fresh garlic and bay leaves when cooking.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 11:53 am
And I'm sure the quality of the meat also plays a role in the outcome. Not saying Seasons doesn't have quality, just depends also where the meat is coming from. I find US meat to be richer than imported meat... And I dont even know what meat seasons sells, although I definitely do believe they sell quality meat. Just throwing some suggestions

singleagain

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 4:41 pm
All the seasons are partnered with meat maven ... Which I think imports from Uruguay.

Why not call / email and ask them directly. Leave a note taped to the meat department's door ?

Or if you want to message me I can ask the Clifton meat guy. He might know or could find out.

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 8:44 pm
Seasons in Lakewood has a new butcher. It is not Meat Maven any more. We actually specifically buy the corned beef from Seasons. My family really likes it. It is true that each butcher pickles differently. I guess you need to try out different stores till you find what you are used to.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 8:49 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Seasons in Lakewood has a new butcher. It is not Meat Maven any more. We actually specifically buy the corned beef from Seasons. My family really likes it. It is true that each butcher pickles differently. I guess you need to try out different stores till you find what you are used to.

I saw a bunch of packages that said corned beef (brisket, maybe? don't remember).
And then there was 1 that's said pickled french roast.
Are the ones labeled corned beef more tasty?
How do you cook yours?

Lillian

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 9:18 pm
For furture reference Kehilla butcher delivers to Lakewood for a $7 charge. They have excellent service and same day delivery.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 9:19 pm
Lillian wrote:
For furture reference Kehilla butcher delivers to Lakewood for a $7 charge. They have excellent service and same day delivery.

Thank you I will definitely keep that in mind for next yomtov.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 9:25 pm
singleagain wrote:
All the seasons are partnered with meat maven ... Which I think imports from Uruguay.

Why not call / email and ask them directly. Leave a note taped to the meat department's door ?

Or if you want to message me I can ask the Clifton meat guy. He might know or could find out.

Not anymore in Lakewood. Now sells nirbater from Uruguay. Not meat maven.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries