Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Criminal Prices
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

turca

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 4:40 pm
Librarian wrote:
OMG what religion do you practice?? There is zero halachicly wrong with selling or buying fur or perfume! Why not also include jewelry? Silver! As long as you pay for it honestly you can buy it! If you did not steal it you can sell it! If these luxury items don't fit in with your ruchniyius level then by all means abstain. But there is nothing intrinsically treif about these items!

Definitely the religion of cowardice! She can’t even use her username!

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 4:47 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I once walked in to a new store here in Lakewood, which once stood for ruchnius over gashmius (and still does in some circles). Imagine my horror that there was no dress under $400 and most way above.

The saleswoman asked if she could help me. I told her proudly, "No thank you. There is nothing here to my taste or in my price range."

If you any of you purveyors of perfumes or furs who sell in Lakewood are on here, I want to say that you are selling in the wrong place and I sincerely hope you will not be taken too much to judgement one day.

Lol.. this is why I always find these imamother discussions entertaining.

Librarian

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 5:00 pm
There are many important hashkafic reasons to try our best to stay under the radar. But that does not make buying or selling luxury items "unfrum".

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 12:22 pm
my mama wrote:
I am looking for a black dress for my toddler aged daughter for a bar mitzva. Anything decent in the local stores is between $130-$300.
FOR A TODDLER!

Honestly, there are plenty stores that sell for WAY lower, for a toddler. Sounds like you looking for something ridiculously high-end.

What's wrong with kiddichic?

DrMom

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 12:24 pm
If this dress is well-made and washes well and can be worn for several years and looks flattering, $160 is not astronomical, IMO.

It might be a bit of a splurge, but it is probably better than two $80 dresses that aren't as useful.

SuperWify

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 12:41 pm
If someone wants to wear something for weekday for $160 and they can afford it.. kol hakavod.

*My* avodah is to realize :

A. I don’t have to spend over $50 a weekday outfit or dress to look nice

B. I don’t need to join the bandwagon of always buying new stuff (and trust me this is hard for me).

C. I can fargin the person her $160 weekday dress.

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 4:30 pm
First of all why do you care OP? If people have the money they can spend it however they want. And even if they don't have it, it's their problem what they go in debt for.
If you can't spend 160 dollars on a weekday dress, then don't. That doesn't make the price criminal.
I can't afford a Lamborghini. That doesn't make their prices criminal. I can either study something that will get me there or I can be happy with my Ford.
Jewish stores are generally overpriced. Which they can do. Nobody is forcing you to buy there. If you choose to buy there then don't complain. You can boycott them and buy at GAP, h&m, TJ Maxx etc. If everyone did that then maybe the Jewish stores wouldn't price their badly made clothing this high.
It's always offer and demand.

lavenderchimes

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 7:38 pm
For $160, it had better do something pretty magical! But I think twice before spending more than $15, because Heart thrift stores.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 8:56 pm
omg those dresses look like nightgowns so not appropriate do people actually feel comfortable and tznius in them

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 9:42 pm
I spend a lot on clothing and shoes, but end up wearing most of it for a few seasons.

If I would shop in H&M or similar I would probably end up throwing most of my wardrobe away after one season.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 9:55 pm
I have a friend who designs and produces men clothing under his own label.
I asked him (begged him) to produce tzinius Zara priced kids clothing.
He said he can’t
- volume - he doesn’t sell enough of each piece to make do margins
- seasons - there is really only 2 Jewish Seasons not a multiple turnover rate
- mistakes and extra merchandise - he has to swall huge losses on mistakes. Pockets too low, cut to tight, damaged product, wrong thread used. Style pant didn’t sell well huge losses that get rolled into what did work. For small designers this is a huge part of their mark up.

bsy

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 10:53 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Honestly, there are plenty stores that sell for WAY lower, for a toddler. Sounds like you looking for something ridiculously high-end.

What's wrong with kiddichic?

I find kidichic expensive! They have little girl weekday dresses for 50 dollars! I dont spend that on myself, let alone for my 3 year old! Shabbos dresses for little girls in the 50 to 80 dollar range is far from cheap.

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 11:16 pm
bsy wrote:
I find kidichic expensive! They have little girl weekday dresses for 50 dollars! I dont spend that on myself, let alone for my 3 year old! Shabbos dresses for little girls in the 50 to 80 dollar range is far from cheap.

Are you sure?
I bought my elementary daughter shabbos dresses there for $40-45 .

sky

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 11:48 pm
bsy wrote:

I bought my girls dresses for my sons bar mitzvah there. Gorgeous. Full price $43. A few people asked me where they from. One thought ladida. I was so proud of my answer. (Toddlers dress was $35, baby boy outfit $30. Pictures are magnificent. They looked amazing!)

I find most Shabbos dresses there under $40. Sage (fashion wholesalers) is about $40-50 per dress. Tottini I wait for the 50% off sale and pay $10 a piece.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 12:17 am
Quote:
There is zero halachicly wrong with selling or buying fur or perfume! .... If these luxury items don't fit in with your ruchniyius level then by all means abstain. But there is nothing intrinsically treif about these items!

I didn't say they were treif. I said they did not belong in Lakewood:
Quote:
If you any of you purveyors of perfumes or furs who sell in Lakewood are on here, I want to say that you are selling in the wrong place

It would be like ... I dunno, opening a store in Kiryas Yoel or Skver to sell... women's jeans. I can't think of a good example. Pink Ferrraris.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 12:38 am
bsy wrote:

Just like all the other frum stores in Brooklyn, the only way you can buy there is if you buy off-season and on sale.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 12:39 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I spend a lot on clothing and shoes, but end up wearing most of it for a few seasons.

If I would shop in H&M or similar I would probably end up throwing most of my wardrobe away after one season.

The dress I wore for Shabbat is in its 3d year. I’m not sure what I’m wearing for sukkot. Depends on the weather, but it’s likely to be a couple of years old. This will be the 5th year for my favorite winter dress.

If your size doesn't change, it pays to spend more on classics. Better fabrics. Better workmanship. Better hang on the body. And, of course, to mix in less expensive trendy items.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 1:42 am
I sew and my family is in the fabric business.

The thing is that we have got used to cheap clothing and expect it. And we get what we pay for, for the most part. Tissue thin fabrics, cheap synthetics, poor cutting (they stack fabric and cut it all at once; this is why clothes from the cheapest chains don't have consistent sizing). Knits are more comfortable yes, but they are also more forgiving and easier to sew--they require less skill from the sewist. A lot of those older dresses and suits, with stiffer fabrics, required a lot more piecing and seaming and had to be sewn precisely to ensure they hang correctly. Some of the trends that come in are pushed by fast fashion because they are easy to knock out. All those off the shoulder and cold shoulder tops that were in (in non frum stores)? No work to cut and sew a sleeve cap.

What makes me cranky is not paying $160 for a dress. It's that if I pay $160 I will often get the same poor quality material and labor as a $60 Zara dress; it will just have a fancier name on it.

OBnursemom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 1:46 am
watergirl wrote:
I pmed it to you because I feel like in this case, its location specific and I dont really want to give that out. I said in my OP that its popular in my city, so I'm sure you dont know what it is if you dont live where I live.

Ooh can you pm it to me too?

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 1:47 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I sew and my family is in the fabric business.

The thing is that we have got used to cheap clothing and expect it. And we get what we pay for, for the most part. Tissue thin fabrics, cheap synthetics, poor cutting (they stack fabric and cut it all at once; this is why clothes from the cheapest chains don't have consistent sizing). Knits are more comfortable yes, but they are also more forgiving and easier to sew--they require less skill from the sewist. A lot of those older dresses and suits, with stiffer fabrics, required a lot more piecing and seaming and had to be sewn precisely to ensure they hang correctly. Some of the trends that come in are pushed by fast fashion because they are easy to knock out. All those off the shoulder and cold shoulder tops that were in (in non frum stores)? No work to cut and sew a sleeve cap.

What makes me cranky is not paying $160 for a dress. It's that if I pay $160 I will often get the same poor quality material and labor as a $60 Zara dress; it will just have a fancier name on it.

Exactly. I'm learning to sew now, because I became so sick of spending money on clothing which didn't fit well, and would barely last out the year.

But I have to say, now that I'm in the thick of it - sewing is hard! Hats off to you!
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics