Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/O criminal prices
Previous  1  2  3

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 8:54 am
I think I've mentioned this before. There are some incredible initiatives, like people buying last year's stock for gemachs, or stores even donating their stock for tax purposes, and that's how you see have nots beautifully dressed in heimish (I.e. more expensive) clothes. There was a story in the YK Yated magazine along these lines. You just don't know...

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:00 am
gande wrote:
What bothers me most is that I know firsthand that there are many people who are on the ball enough to shnor coupons (from kehilla) and use them while having good jobs , only small kids and lots of money in savings.

The people with big families and working hard are not the ones able to be in the loop and go the the bes medrash the exact time they giving it out.

If they shouldn't have those coupons they're not on the ball, they're off the wall. It takes a real nebach to ask for tzedaka when he doesn't need it. If this is a consistent problem in your community, someone should let the organizers know that they aren't reaching their intended audience.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:05 am
The shul that I daven in when visiting Crown Heights gives a voucher to a local children's store for probably the following reasons:

1) The account was set up by men and they are only familiar with the children's shop that has been open the longest.

2) The truly poor are probably shopping on foot and going to Atlantic Mall requires transportation.

3) They want to support local businesses.

4) They want to insure that the clothes are tznius and fitting for a Lubavitcher child.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:10 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Prices in our heimishe stores Are Criminal!

We need to have a shoe store that brings in lower cost shoes n the styles we like.

Stride rite and l’amour to name a few. Pretty Mary Janes for $40 bucks.

Oy, the proprietor won’t make big profit

Have you ever considered opening a store? Clearly there's a need for quality clothing at moderate prices.

pinkpeonies

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:18 am
sub wrote:
[/b]
So let’s fargin those who have the shoes no matter how they “bought” them.

This

southernbubby

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:30 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Have you ever considered opening a store? Clearly there's a need for quality clothing at moderate prices.

Kidichic is a chain so they buy in bigger volume but these small boutiques can't make a profit if they sell low prices items.
One frum children's shop owner told me years ago that he tried selling some cheap stuff and even the poorest people wouldn't buy it.
The poor understandably don't want to look poor or be identified as poor or have their children view themselves as poor. This is why the vouchers exist and we don't tell the poor to buy online from Walmart.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 4:43 pm
This is why poor people should move out of the tristate area where you can be proud to wear a $5 skirt from Wal-Mart and not be a friar.

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 14 2019, 3:52 pm
This thread has taken a charming turn.

We must make allowances for "the poor" and their ilk, mustn't we? Yet heaven forfend that they own anything which makes them seem above their station or extravagant, as the OP complains. After all, it's their fault for living in a large Jewish center. They should quietly slither away to somewhere where they wouldn't stick out so much when they present their food stamps.

I'm done.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 3:18 am
It's not "slithering away" to move to a less materialistic community. If you live in a town where everyone drives a Ferrari, then you are a nebach in your Lexus. (Or whatever, I'm not a car person.) Everyone would agree that transportation is necessary, but if buying a new Honda is unacceptable, then there's a problem with the community norms. That's the complaint here. Not that people shouldn't have nice things for Yom tov, only that the bar is set impossibly high, beyond the means of ordinary folks.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 4:30 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Kidichic is a chain so they buy in bigger volume but these small boutiques can't make a profit if they sell low prices items.
One frum children's shop owner told me years ago that he tried selling some cheap stuff and even the poorest people wouldn't buy it.
The poor understandably don't want to look poor or be identified as poor or have their children view themselves as poor. This is why the vouchers exist and we don't tell the poor to buy online from Walmart.

It's called entitlement.
Why should the poor have to look poor if everyone dressed them in the most expensive things?
What about Judaism is it that people have this inherent need to look rich? I really don't get it. This superficial lifestyle repulses me. I live in a mostly non Jewish neighborhood and I'm so thankful for that everytime I read threads like these. Yes some women here are superficial but never ever on a level like that. I wear some really cheap clothes, h&m sale clothes and when I was asked at work where I got my blouse I said 5 bucks h&m and my colleagues loved it and 2 of them bought it aswell. In the jewish world I guess people wouldn't wanna do a shidduch with us because of that , who knows.
It's definitely sickening. And it's NOT the rich people who are doing this. Rich people are rich they can buy whatever they want. Poor people can't. What's so difficult to understand?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 5:07 pm
The ones who have the money often don't want to be conspicuous and draw attention. It's those who have not that try to look wealthy. I'm not rich, but I would be ashamed to walk down the street in $100 shoes (which weren't from a thrift, gemach or discount store) pushing a bugaboo, when a cheaper model stroller works just fine.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 8:21 pm
Rappel wrote:
This thread has taken a charming turn.

We must make allowances for "the poor" and their ilk, mustn't we? Yet heaven forfend that they own anything which makes them seem above their station or extravagant, as the OP complains. After all, it's their fault for living in a large Jewish center. They should quietly slither away to somewhere where they wouldn't stick out so much when they present their food stamps.

I'm done.

Lol.. I am not bashing the poor- I am including myself in that category. I do think people who live in Brooklyn are asking for it .. the only reason to live there imo is you have an amazing job and can be self sufficient or if you need it for education or medical purposes
To live in one of the most expensive cities by choice and cry poverty while needing luxuries is a self made problem. .

urban gypsy

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 9:00 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
The ones who have the money often don't want to be conspicuous and draw attention. It's those who have not that try to look wealthy.

THIS. In my line of work I deal with some of the wealthiest people in my country, and I was flabbergasted by how they dress and present themselves. Conspicuous consumption is the antithesis of chic.

dankbar

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 9:53 pm
My neighbors commented how nice my boys are dressed this yom tov. One asked where it's from. When I proudly answered kidichic, it was sort of oh?! She only dresses her kids in the brand names. Too bad for her, not me.

She also commented how nice my dgtrs shabbos shoes are, I didn't get to tell her that I ordered those from Ali Express for a couple of dollars.

I remember she once loved my kids winter jackets & when she asked me where they are from, I answered Amazon $15....She was scratching her head, why she needs to pay $100 for her kids jackets, in local stores. I don't know why, that's her choice to only buy the brand names in local stores. Not my problem.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 10:21 pm
I am not bashing the poor. This year I would include ourselves in that category but in other years we were the "barely making it, no designer items but I didn't think twice about grabbing the second pack of socks just in case we needed it". My kids didn't get anything new from us this year. A relative gave my daughter a dress. My son got hand me downs from a friend of mine with bigger kids. They didn't need anything so I wasn't going to buy.
We aren't Kollel/chinuch so people assume we are all making it. We aren't. We wouldn't get coupons even if I applied as people assume. Even with degrees and licenses and certifications etc. it's not like we are flashy but when they hear our job titles it sounds good.
But I wouldn't take the coupons anyways- it was one thing if it were to reasonable stores. I wouldn't mind a few shells or basics. Stuff I can't get as hand me downs. But just like I won't wear a new flashy diamond bracelet while getting a tuition discount-- why should my kids wear matching outfits at $100+++ each?? Who needs that??

I am trying to teach my kids to be happy with what they have and what we have is enough. They have shoes that fit and aren't holey. Clothes that are decent, fit, and cute even if not matching or from designer X.
But when they are the only ones who don't have "the style" (even in our good years when I could scrape enough to get it) it makes everyone feel bad.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics