Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Toilet Training

proudmom

Post Thu, Jul 22 2004, 6:44 am
How can I toilet train my daughter for the night time? any suggestions

Yael

Post Sun, Jul 25 2004, 10:08 am
a child has to be physically ready before they can be trained for the night. when you see that in the morning she often wakes up dry or not very wet at least then you can start training her to use the bathroom first thing in the morning. I know some people wake up their child in the middle of the night to take them to the bathroom. for a child to be able to wake herself up when she needs to go is not easy and she must physically be ready. every child is different so dont worry if you hear that other kids are already trained. I know a few kids (girls) that at age 4 or 5 were still wearing pullups at night.
also limit her fluid intake in the evening.

proudmom

Post Mon, Jul 26 2004, 7:22 am
I already limit her fluid intake before she goes to sleep, I wake her up 2 hours after she goes to sleep and still she gets up soaked

Yael

Post Mon, Jul 26 2004, 8:30 am
my advice is to just wait for her to be physically ready.

proudmom

Post Mon, Jul 26 2004, 8:34 am
I just read an artical about toilet training for the nighttime. She has all the symptoms of not being ready.

Rivka

Post Thu, Sep 09 2004, 3:33 pm
How do you know when your child is ready? My 1½ year old doesn't seem ready he doesn't really have much of a vocabulary but when he makes in his nappy he takes matters in his own hands by taking his nappy off and of course creating havoc in the little house and making a mess.
My mum told me maybe I should start toilet training him, but I don't think he is ready and I don't want to do it now because I know he soon will have to go to hospital for a minor op.
I have told him off for doing it once. I usually put body suite vests on
Which would help but now it is too hot for a vest and clothes.
Does anyone have any ideas or is it something every kid and just has to be told off enough times before they get the message.
Thanx

proudmom

Post Thu, Sep 09 2004, 4:02 pm
How will we know when our child is ready for toilet training?

The main signs a child is ready for toilet training are:
• She can wait several hours before urinating, and, when she pees, she empties her bladder instead of urinating only a small amount at a time, which is typical of younger children.

• She knows the words that your family uses in connection with toileting, such as "pee" and "poop."

• She can get on and off of the toilet or the potty chair by herself and can raise and lower her pants unassisted.

• She generally understands and goes along with your verbal instructions. If your child typically won't follow most of your instructions, you should work on that for now and wait to start toilet training.

source: http://www.babycenter.com/refc......html

check out this checklist to see if he is ready

http://www.babycenter.com/refc......html

Rivka

Post Sun, Sep 12 2004, 5:15 pm
Thanx...he does understand about him making in his nappy and takes his nappy off, but I don't think he is ready, like he doesn't speak so it is harder to tell, he doesn't seem to keep dry for hours. I have found that my telling him off and explaining that what he does by taking off his nappy is wrong seems to have worked and he hasn't done it all week which is a good sign.
I am not in a rush to train him either.

RachelSteph

Post Sun, Sep 12 2004, 5:33 pm
I know this may sound weired but why not try Dr. Phils technique. http://boards.drphil.com/WebX?...../1246
good luck

Motek

Post Mon, Oct 11 2004, 10:46 am
Nowadays parents are told to follow their baby's lead (re weaning, toilet training, eating). Trust him to know best. Children should become toilet trained of their own free will, no pressure, when they're ready.

in 1957 - 92% of children were toilet trained by 18 months

today only 4% are trained by two and only 60% have completely given up on diapers by age three

hmmm ...

zuncompany

Post Mon, Oct 11 2004, 11:02 am
That statistic says nothing actually. Studies now show that if you don't wait till they are ready a)it takes longer to actually train them and b)they have a much higher chance of reverting or having accidents. All that statisitc shows is that kids were trained by 1 and a half... What does being trained mean? how many had accidents, reverted, or such? It doesn't say that. Zu is one and a half and there is no way he is ready. He still makes during nap time. He is just starting to show he doesn't like a wet diaper on him (and it really has to be there for a while for him to care). He is so not ready. Most parents who train their kids so young are actually training themselves not the child. You learn to watch for the signs, not them learning its time and I need to go to the toilet. So what if he isn't trained by 2? I am the one who has to pay for diapers and change them.
Sara

mommy2

Post Mon, Oct 11 2004, 5:58 pm
kids also train later nowadays b/c the diapers are more absorbent and more comfortable. The old ones were either reusables or not really good so yes they were trained earlier.

Tefila

Post Wed, Oct 13 2004, 7:51 pm
With my fifth kid I have a more laid back approach and at 2 even though she wants to toilet train I tried her twice and gave up it hasn't worked yet. Listen no child enters kindergarten not trained so when theyr'e ready you'll know meanwhilst why sweat!

Motek

Post Thu, Oct 21 2004, 10:16 am
Quote:
Listen no child enters kindergarten not trained

oh?
how about Huggies Pull-ups?

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Oct 21 2004, 4:11 pm
Remember- the shadchan never asks: "When was he/she toilet trained?" ( we hope not lol)

Tefila

Post Fri, Oct 22 2004, 7:09 am
Most kids or rather none of my kids entered kindergarten not trained it does'nt mean they were all trained at night though! Wink

supermom

Post Sat, Nov 06 2004, 1:11 pm
my three year old wakes up soaked in the morning her diaper must weigh at least five pound. she is a big drinker and no matter how much I stop the drinking before she goes to sleep it could even be a couple of hours she still wakes up soaked. my mother in law tells me don't worry she wont walk down the isle to her wedding in diapers!!! but that is no help any suggestions I also tried to wake her up in the middle of the night and still nothing.

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Nov 07 2004, 12:53 pm
about kids being trained early - they weren't trained. Their parents were.
They knnew when to take the kid to the potty & took them at regular intervals + 30 min & 1hr after they ate.
Also, potties used to be made of cold metal & kids developed reflex -
cold metal - make now!

+ statistics don't say how many had physical problems b/c of that & how many accidents & when those stopped.

Sure, there are those kids who are truly trained in very young age - but not the majority.

Also, take a looks at the "Is he rady to train" thred
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training