Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Succos Calligraphy - amazing!
1  2  3  4  Next

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 8:24 am
Mishpacha outdid themselves this year! Every story in Calligraphy hit it out of the park! I loved them all!!!

also, check page 295 in the main magazine for a surprise Very Happy

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 8:47 am
I haven't read them all but yes, they're well written. I'd like a little less existential though ;-D
I'm working my way through everything, haven't yet gone through the whole main so looking forward!

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:12 am
Mama Bear wrote:
...also, check page 295 in the main magazine for a surprise Very Happy

Is that you? Cool!

luvinlife

Post Mon, Oct 14 2019, 12:26 pm
Yes, this edition was better than ever. Keep it up mishpacha!

Aylat

Post Mon, Oct 14 2019, 12:47 pm
I also really enjoyed them.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 9:08 pm
Not sure about Calligraphy but I thought Vistas was very good this year. The last story - ok no spoilers but let's just say one of my favorite writers lived up to her standard. A++.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 3:20 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Is that you? Cool!

yep!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 3:51 pm
seeker wrote:
Not sure about Calligraphy but I thought Vistas was very good this year. The last story - ok no spoilers but let's just say one of my favorite writers lived up to her standard. A++.

Idk such mixed feelings about it!!!
I guess I enjoyed calligraphy and vistas (I read a lot) but honestly, I feel like they repeat the same kind of stories every year.
The last story I was so torn about. On the one hand, it was such a beautiful ending, but on the other hand, it felt kind of like just ppl interested in divorce, like having people read it just bc their nosy. Idk really maybe I’m looking too deeply into it. I just sometimes feel like all frum people like to read about are people who are, going back to the other chat, experiencing something that would make them sug bes- death, poor, divorce, learning disability, etc.

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 4:24 pm
I wasn't a big fan of the stories in Calligraphy

I much preferred the Ami one I read before Rosh Hashana

Mama Bear, is that guy on page 295 your husband?

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 4:31 pm
I liked the shidduch enneagram one. I'm a self diagnosed 4 7 combo and the story had me laughing.

chocolate fondue

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 6:04 pm
The one about the uncle of the yosem made me want to punch someone. I kept having to remind myself that it was just a story.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 6:07 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I guess I enjoyed calligraphy and vistas (I read a lot) but honestly, I feel like they repeat the same kind of stories every year.
The last story I was so torn about. On the one hand, it was such a beautiful ending, but on the other hand, it felt kind of like just ppl interested in divorce, like having people read it just bc their nosy. Idk really maybe I’m looking too deeply into it. I just sometimes feel like all frum people like to read about are people who are, going back to the other chat, experiencing something that would make them sug bes- death, poor, divorce, learning disability, etc.

My father always says that he gets all the magazines for his family coming over for Yom Tov, and at the end of the week, we all know that this one is depressed, this one is on the verge of getting divorced, this one is a budding alcoholic, etc...

groisamomma

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 6:07 pm
chocolate fondue wrote:
The one about the uncle of the yosem made me want to punch someone. I kept having to remind myself that it was just a story.

Same. It was kinda disappointing that he didn't write the piece although that's just the evil side of me talking. Twisted Evil

Ihatepotatoes

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 6:09 pm
I liked that a lot of the stories actually had endings as opposed to cliffhangers and abstract concepts

Laiya

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 6:20 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Same. It was kinda disappointing that he didn't write the piece although that's just the evil side of me talking. Twisted Evil

No, it was wrong that he didn't write it. Not calling out bad behavior causes the chillul Hashem to increase. Gah that story got to me!

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 8:29 pm
Laiya wrote:
No, it was wrong that he didn't write it. Not calling out bad behavior causes the chillul Hashem to increase. Gah that story got to me!

No, I don't think it was wrong to keep the Pandora's box closed - but I did think we needed some other closure! It was beautiful that he thought about what his peace-loving father would like, and of course that sacrifice was the point of the story, but boy would I love to see the uncle's reaction when the kid finds some more subtle way of letting him know what he knows... Eurgh the uncle's level of nastiness was nauseating, I know it's fiction but "Haller" writes SUCH realistic fiction! And I don't remember him having any such one-sidedly abominable characters as this one. Ugh. Great writing, interesting story, but the fictitious uncle still gives me the creeps.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 8:36 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:

I just liked this particular piece of writing because it was very down to earth, not melodramatic, and sheds some light on a subject that's real but hard to talk about. I think this short little fiction piece says more than an informational article could.
Better to be nosy in fiction than in real life!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 4:28 am
groisamomma wrote:

WADR, the whole blog or whatever he wrote for was a bit disconcerting. I think he needed to explore why he needed to work for them, and what psychological needs of righting wrongs done to underdogs it filled.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 7:20 am
seeker wrote:
I just liked this particular piece of writing because it was very down to earth, not melodramatic, and sheds some light on a subject that's real but hard to talk about. I think this short little fiction piece says more than an informational article could.
Better to be nosy in fiction than in real life!

I agree. It resonated with me as I’m currently going through a divorce with a man similar to the mom in the story. I enjoyed the story very much- I was able to relate.

saramalka

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 10:55 am
Can someone scan that good story from vistas.
I bought ami and mishpacha
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room