Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What do working mom's to for childcare on chol hamoed

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 7:51 am
I work on chol hamoed.
Dh has school on chol hamoed.
Babysitter isn't working on chol hamoed.
What to working mom's do?

Are there any programs in Brooklyn?

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 8:33 am
Family neighbors friends.

It’s the only way. Sucks but it is what it is.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 8:57 am
People who have family available rely on family. We have grandparents who can cover some days. If grandparents are not available, these are the options in our community:

1. Adult babysitter who offers babysitting. There is one we often use, I don't know if there are more. She runs an infant/toddler playgroup on regular school days, but will babysit older kids on school breaks and chol hamoed.

2. JCC offers a day camp option for kids age 5 and up, but there have to be at least 3 kids who need it on a given day for them to offer it.

3. Teenagers put together day camps. These are usually only half day, but maybe it is possible to pay extra for them to just babysit 1-2 kids after the "camp" program ends. I haven't tried this.

4. There are daycare places like Bright Horizons that offer drop-in care. At my old job, I was automatically a member of their network or whatever and entitled to do this for a small fee. I never used it though, as it weirded me out to drop my kid in a random unfamiliar place.

5. Work from home. My husband and I resort to this when we've exhausted other options. The effectiveness depends on the kids' age. I could get a lot of work done with my 4 and 6 year old, because they play nicely together and don't need me much. But if my 2 year old was home, I would get very little done.

6. Our 2 year old is in JCC daycare, which remains open full days on chol hamoed.

7. Some moms who work part time, but on different schedules, will trade babysitting. I've never done this though, since I work full-time and would never be able to do my part of the trade.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:42 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
People who have family available rely on family. We have grandparents who can cover some days. If grandparents are not available, these are the options in our community:

1. Adult babysitter who offers babysitting. There is one we often use, I don't know if there are more. She runs an infant/toddler playgroup on regular school days, but will babysit older kids on school breaks and chol hamoed.

2. JCC offers a day camp option for kids age 5 and up, but there have to be at least 3 kids who need it on a given day for them to offer it.

3. Teenagers put together day camps. These are usually only half day, but maybe it is possible to pay extra for them to just babysit 1-2 kids after the "camp" program ends. I haven't tried this.

4. There are daycare places like Bright Horizons that offer drop-in care. At my old job, I was automatically a member of their network or whatever and entitled to do this for a small fee. I never used it though, as it weirded me out to drop my kid in a random unfamiliar place.

5. Work from home. My husband and I resort to this when we've exhausted other options. The effectiveness depends on the kids' age. I could get a lot of work done with my 4 and 6 year old, because they play nicely together and don't need me much. But if my 2 year old was home, I would get very little done.

6. Our 2 year old is in JCC daycare, which remains open full days on chol hamoed.

7. Some moms who work part time, but on different schedules, will trade babysitting. I've never done this though, since I work full-time and would never be able to do my part of the trade.

Ideally I am looking for #1.
How do I find that though?

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:44 am
It’s only 3 days. If you take off one day and dh one day you’re almost there.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:50 am
People in my community who work who have multiple kids have a nanny in their home everyday: it’s the only way they are able to work. Kids get sick. There are plenty of no school days when they have work think summer before camp/after camp.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 9:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Sorry, don't know how it works with other communities. I live in a smaller OOT community, so word gets around about what is available. I just heard about the one we use through word of mouth from other parents. Sometimes before a school break she will email our community listserv that she will be offering open babysitting certain days, but usually I just text with her directly.

Have you tried talking to other working moms in your kids' schools and playgroups?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 10:05 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
People in my community who work who have multiple kids have a nanny in their home everyday: it’s the only way they are able to work. Kids get sick. There are plenty of no school days when they have work think summer before camp/after camp.

This. Anyone I know which both parents who have this type of inflexible jobs (public schools, lawyers,medical field etc) have a lady in their house for this type of coverage. It’s not really sustainable otherwise.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 11:02 am
If you are willing to pay *very* well, you can probably find a teenager willing to do it. Unlikely the same one will want to give up all of her chol hamoed, so you would probably need to find a couple of teens to cover all of the days.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 11:13 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
This. Anyone I know which both parents who have this type of inflexible jobs (public schools, lawyers,medical field etc) have a lady in their house for this type of coverage. It’s not really sustainable otherwise.

And OP should figure out if any of her friends have a nanny, and are off chol hamoed. Maybe the nanny would want to earn some extra money.

Otherwise, there are agencies.

nicole81

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 11:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I used to post on Facebook and community groups. Contact anyone with a teen as well and mass message all your contacts. I put some pretty desperate messages out there when I was looking for childcare, but they worked. I usually found teens of friends and acquaintance mothers who didn't work, who could bring their kids over for the day and watch them all together.

Just get it out there that you need someone and are willing to pay $$$... It's already a bit late to find someone, so start with everyone on your contact lists and whatever social media and messaging formats that you use.

nchr

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 2:21 pm
If you have friends in the kids class, you could offer them some money to watch your kids and include them on trips.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics