Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Rib Eye Steak for Yom Tov?

someone

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 4:05 pm
My husband went to the supermarket to buy food for Rosh Hashana and came back with some rib eye steaks. I have never cooked them before, in the past I have only made the kind of meat that you cook really slowly for ages in a sauce. Now I know that steak is best when cooked fast on a really high heat and then eaten right away right? Problem is that I want to cook for Yom Tov tomorrow or Thursday and freeze it, and then re-heat the steak for the meal on first night, which would mean putting it on the hotplate. Am I going to kill it? How do I make it stay juicy and tender after all that?
Thanks!! Shana Tovah to you all

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 4:13 pm
Rib Eye needs to be cooked right before serving. They don't take more then 15 minutes. I would cook everything else and just make the steaks before you want to eat.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 4:28 pm
Rib eye best made fresh, seared at high heat.
But if you don't mind it tasting like a minute steak which is a cheaper cut, in can be made same as minute steak, low and slow.

someone

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:04 am
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will make it like a minute steak, although it is such a waste of a good steak. Darn. Do you have any good recipes for sauces to cook it in?

heidi

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:17 am
Please don't waste good meat.
Why not cook it on high heat in a frying pan on chag right before serving?
You can make an onion, mushroom, red wine and black pepper sauce to put on top or just serve plain (the best way, in my opinion).

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:41 am
Its a waste of a good meat, and I would cook it right before.

That being said I tell you what I did with shank meat.
Don't know if it will work with rib eye

I bought shank already cut in thick medallions.
I seared it in a pan on very high heat.
Seasoned with salt and pepper
And then put it down on the pan for 5-7 min.
DO NOT TOUCH IT.
Flip and do the same to the other side.

I did this to all the pieces and froze it.

Now there's good Carmelized flavors in the pan.

I took water and deglazed the pan. To that I added wine, pomogranite syrup, salt, pepper, and chesnuts.

I boiled till the chesnuts got soft and the sauce thickened a little bit.

I froze the sauce Seperate from the meat.

When I'm ready to heat, I'll pour the sauce with the chesnuts and heat long and slow. But shank is good long and slow.

I may add sautéed onions.

rikki!

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 3:45 pm
Hi- I also have rib-eye steaks and am wondering how I can cook it right before serving. Can I cook it on a hot plate?

karat

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 4:23 pm
You could fry it in the pan on YT right before serving for a few minutes on each side.

I season them with S&P and place it under the broiler for about 10 minutes on each side right before YT.

I then warm it on the blech for a few minutes on each side right before serving.

Last edited by karat on Sun, Oct 13 2019, 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

rikki!

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 4:34 pm
karat wrote:
You could fry it on the pan on YT right before serving for a few minutes on each side.

I season them with S&P and place it under the broiler for about 10 minutes on each side right before YT.

I then warm it on the blech for a few minutes on each side right before serving.

Thank you so much!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2019, 4:40 pm
rikki! wrote:
Hi- I also have rib-eye steaks and am wondering how I can cook it right before serving. Can I cook it on a hot plate?

It won't sear or cook on a hot plate. Broil in the oven for a few minutes on each side immediately before YT, then turn off oven and keep door closed until the seuda tonight.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus