Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Eeeeek, a mouse!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 14 2019, 8:05 pm
B'H, I am not afraid of mice. I actually find them kind of cute.

What I do NOT like, is that there is one hiding under my bed right now! Surprised

Neither my dogs or my kitten are showing the tiniest bit of interest. I can't go back to sleep while I know it's in here!

Ack!

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 1:05 am
Our yishuv has had a plague of mice all over this summer, don't know why. Most of our neighbors and I used cage traps or glue traps to get rid of them. Any kind of hardware or household goods shop should have them. In my experience glue traps work better as tiny mice can wiggle out of the cage traps. But it's still a bit gross and the glued down mice will still be alive. I took to killing them with a blow to prevent them from suffering for hours on the glue. Of course you could call an exterminator but that's expensive. Or get poison - we didn't as we have small children. And if you have pets that's also no good idea. In any event, mo'adim lesimcha and good luck!

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 2:32 am
Please don't use glue traps. Those are inhumane.
Use a cage trap or get another cat Smile

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 2:47 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Please don't use glue traps. Those are inhumane.
Use a cage trap or get another cat Smile
Yes - but cage traps, if they work, still leave you with a living mouse. Where do you release it? In the street so that it goes into someone else's house next? Out of town in the landscape, where as a house mouse, it will have trouble to find water and food? Feed it to your cat (which "plays" with it before it eats it)? Give it to a pet snake owner you happen to know? We released the ones we caught in the cage traps out of town but I'm not sure that's doing the mice a favor. They probably died of heat and thirst half a day later. There is no nice way to get rid of mice.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 3:44 am
Well, my little visitor seems to be hiding behind the aronot. As long as he stays there, and not on my bed, we can call it a truce. Who knows, maybe he's collecting all the chametz for me!

I had a traumatic experience with a glue trap (did you know that mice can scream?) so I will never do that again. A humane trap would be best. I'm hoping one of my pets will chase it back into the back yard again.

I used to have a fox terrier who was more humane than any trap ever invented. When he caught a mouse he'd flip it up in the air it's neck would break. The mouse would be dead before it hit the ground, and probably never knew what hit it.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 9:18 am
I had one a few years ago that the cat brought in and then lost interest in. It lived for a while under the couches where the cats pretended not to notice it. I couldn't think of anything I could bait a mouse trap with that the cats wouldn't eat first, so I had to leave it and hope for the best.

It managed to live there for quite a few weeks, and I never found the remains of it, so I'm not sure what happened. Hopefully it just walked out of the door. It certainly seemed a very intelligent mouse.

banana123

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 11:30 am
This is horrid. We have mice in our miklat and I want to get poison for there. Only problem is I don't know where they're coming from and I also don't want to poison the local cats....

My husband says we should lock some cats in their with the mice and it'll be done in a few days. But then we need to clean cat poop and deal with any mess the cats left. That may be the best option, though.

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 8:57 pm
Ugh I really feel your pain! We live in an apartment in NYC and for the past few weeks I've seen little flashes of grey scurrying across the kitchen. It's horrible. I know that they're harmless and can't hurt me, but it makes my heart stop and I can't help but shriek each time I see it. Luckily the exterminator is coming on Friday!

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 9:56 pm
OMG exterminator to close to the holes and done deal. Mice are horrid. Been there done that. Done. Brooklyn living.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 10:17 pm
Good exterminator in Brooklyn for mice, suggestions?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 11:01 pm
The exterminator could not help as much as putting around decon poison you put these boxes around where kids as and pets can't reach and they disappear

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 3:16 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Good exterminator in Brooklyn for mice, suggestions?

Till Death do us Part. I don't have his # on me but maybe Google does?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics