Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
The truth about grain brain white spelt flour??

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 5:14 pm
Does anyone know what's really in that bag? The challah comes out tasting way too moist, fluffy and tasty to really be spelt. What is it?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 5:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone know what's really in that bag? The challah comes out tasting way too moist, fluffy and tasty to really be spelt. What is it?

Omg I agree! I literally used it for the first time last week and was like OMG my spelt challahs never tasted this way. Like never. I also can't help but wonder

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Oct 06 2019, 6:36 pm
I used their flour for past 3 years and this weeek the challas Came our like never before! Fluffy and moist was also wondering l! This is weird

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 5:00 pm
Is this the brand that people are most happy with? I was asked to bake spelt challah for a family and of course want it to taste great.

Mevater

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 5:15 pm
Is this the "Wonder" brand, White Spelt Flour that the BP View wrote about recently, as being the highest quality Spelt flour?

This Yom Tov my Challah made of "Wonder" (yeah I wonder) White Spelt tasted the same as regular flour too.

After eating regular Challah (made with Wheat flour) I always have a sneezing spell. I had a sneezing spell after this "Spelt" flour Challah. Dunno.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 5:18 pm
I don't have specific information about that brand. But. I can tell you that legally spelt is wheat.

For example, spelt products are supposed to have "contains: wheat" on the label by FDA regulations since spelt is a type of wheat and there is absolutely no difference in allergens etc... There are many types of wheat out there and there would be no repercussions for the company to substitute one for the other.

The claims that spelt is different/better is a scam lately perpetrated on the frum community by ignorant or unscrupulous "health practitioners" and people out to sell their flours/mixes/products
If you do the research this isn't "out there" in the general world at all. There is no scientific basis to it's supposed "healthiness" .
Whole grains, maybe. Naturally leavened bread, probably. Gluten free for people with celiac DEFINITELY. But Spelt is pure and simple a scam. The Placebo effect is very strong...

Please do your own research before falling for these scams!!!

I am anonymous here because I have been saying this in public and unfortunately have been threatened recently by people with money to make in the frum "spelt industry"

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 5:36 pm
I will post anonymously too. Many years ago a natural health practitioner gave me homeground spelt. Not sure how he got hold of fresh spelt but he would grind it himself. I used it to make challah and the challah was very delicious. When I bought commercial white spelt the challah tasted nothing the same.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 5:37 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I don't have specific information about that brand. But. I can tell you that legally spelt is wheat.

For example, spelt products are supposed to have "contains: wheat" on the label by FDA regulations since spelt is a type of wheat and there is absolutely no difference in allergens etc... There are many types of wheat out there and there would be no repercussions for the company to substitute one for the other.

The claims that spelt is different/better is a scam lately perpetrated on the frum community by ignorant or unscrupulous "health practitioners" and people out to sell their flours/mixes/products
If you do the research this isn't "out there" in the general world at all. There is no scientific basis to it's supposed "healthiness" .
Whole grains, maybe. Naturally leavened bread, probably. Gluten free for people with celiac DEFINITELY. But Spelt is pure and simple a scam. The Placebo effect is very strong...

Please do your own research before falling for these scams!!!

I am anonymous here because I have been saying this in public and unfortunately have been threatened recently by people with money to make in the frum "spelt industry"

I've been making and eating regular challah for past 30 yrs. Last yr switched over to spelt. I know it's not gluten free but it's way easier to digest. I feel a HUGE difference.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 5:39 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I will post anonymously too. Many years ago a natural health practitioner gave me homeground spelt. Not sure how he got hold of fresh spelt but he would grind it himself. I used it to make challah and the challah was very delicious. When I bought commercial white spelt the challah tasted nothing the same.

There are very likely benefits to freshly milled flour no matter what type of wheat :-)

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 5:42 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I've been making and eating regular challah for past 30 yrs. Last yr switched over to spelt. I know it's not gluten free but it's way easier to digest. I feel a HUGE difference.

I see a difference after eating Spelt too. And a nutritionist with no connection to the "Flour" industry told me to eat as little wheat flour as possible.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 5:43 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:

For *some people the varieties of wheat often called spelt can be easier to digest. But that definitely doesn't make it healthier across the board than others.
Also, changing to a different brand of flour can also help. I've had people tell me that they switched from "heimish" flour to a high quality brand of flour like king Arthur and suddenly their bread was easier to digest and tasted better. Also, sometimes the pesticide residue is the problem so using organic flour (which uses different pesticides) helps them (often "spelt" is organic)

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 5:46 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I see a difference after eating Spelt too. And a nutritionist with no connection to the "Flour" industry told me to eat as little wheat flour as possible.

See my reply to the other poster. Spelt is wheat. As is Farro, Emmer, Kamut among others. If you need to avoid wheat for allergy reasons then you should avoid them all. Otherwise your issues with wheat may be one specific strain or the pesticides as I mentioned above.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 5:51 pm
My mom is not allergic to wheat but finds spelt easier to digest.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking