Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Meaning of name Toba

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 5:55 am
My husband's grandmothers name was Toba- is it a variation of Tova or does it mean something completely different?
Thanks

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 5:56 am
I believe it's the Hungarian version of Tova

top mom

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 6:01 am
I think Toba means a dove (bird ) in Yiddish, and Tova is the Hebrew version of Gittel, meaning good

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 6:15 am
It's much older than Tova and Hungarian. It's already in the crusadde kedoshim names. I have kah a Toba. It's dove.

Frenchfry

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 6:19 am
It's a pidgeon, the Yiddish version of yona or yonina

Iymnok

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 6:35 am
Toba or Taiba is Yonah.
Gittel is Tovah.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 8:00 am
Toba could be from Tova or from Taibe (I'm named after one, in our case, it was Tova).

Tova is Hebrew meaning good.

Taibe is from Yiddish meaning little bird.

If you know for sure it was Toba written in Hebrew (rather than Tova written in hebrew), then go with the Yiddish meaning.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 9:38 am
That'ts my daughters name. We call her Toby and we love it. Its not as popular as a sara or a esther. she's unique but its a pretty name not strange sounding. we also had non jews tell us they like her name. spelled the same as Toby a boys name. Toba with a beis, and alef at the end is yiddish for a type of bird. it is not the same as tova. which means tov, good. I beleive its spelled diffrent in hebrew too it doesn't end with a alef.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 9:51 am
ab

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 1:17 pm
Toibah means dove, the hebrew version is yonah.

iyar

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 2:41 pm
Go to an online dictionary that will translate English to German. Type "dove" or "pigeon". You'll get the German "Taube".
In Yiddish it was spelled with a vav / cholam for the "au" vowel in taube.
German / Austrian Jews pronounced the cholam as "oh".
Polish Jews pronounced it "oy".
Lithuanian / Latvian Jews pronounced it "ay". That's where you get the name Taybe or Taibe.
A pigeon and a dove are Yonah in Hebrew. That's often a boy's name (as in Yonah ha'Navi), but there are other variations like Yonit and Yonina.

Tova is the Hebrew translation of the Yiddish name Gittel, the feminine form of the adjective Tov (good).

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 12:44 pm
My daughter is Toiba, for dove, named after my grandmother. We weren't Polish though, but I guess we're not hardcore Litvak pronouncers Wink

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 10:34 pm
Beutiful name!

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:14 am
iyar wrote:
Go to an online dictionary that will translate English to German. Type "dove" or "pigeon". You'll get the German "Taube".
In Yiddish it was spelled with a vav / cholam for the "au" vowel in taube.
German / Austrian Jews pronounced the cholam as "oh".
Polish Jews pronounced it "oy".
Lithuanian / Latvian Jews pronounced it "ay". That's where you get the name Taybe or Taibe.
A pigeon and a dove are Yonah in Hebrew. That's often a boy's name (as in Yonah ha'Navi), but there are other variations like Yonit and Yonina.

Tova is the Hebrew translation of the Yiddish name Gittel, the feminine form of the adjective Tov (good).

There are actually two spellings in Yiddish. Tes vuv yud beis alef is the more common spelling but there is also tes alef bais alef which is how the famous Toba in Belz spelled it.

I love the name and it works well as something trendy in English.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names