Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o s/of criminal shoe prices
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 10:07 pm
I real the whole tread.

I might be missing something, please enlighten me.

Geox, Stride Rite, See Kai Run, Armani, Camper, various other good brands can be found for $15-45 at TJMaxx, Marshalls, Northdstrom rack, 6pm. Can buy online and ship back, so can try on at home. Cheap shoes can be found at Target/Walmart. I recently got sneakers for 5.98 which lasted my toddler almost a year. I found natives for everyone for under $20.

Here is an example - https://www.marshalls.com/us/s.....=1:75

There is no requirement to shop at fancy/expensive jewish stores.

Sorry if I ofended anyone. I live in a big community OOT, and I work. We, BH can afford more expensive clothing and what not, but I have never spend more then $30 on a pair of kids shoes, always shop sales, and just scored Issak Mizrahi toddler suits for 21.98$ (3T and 4T). So I really dont get it.....

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 10:15 pm
So I really want to know...

What are my options if I don't want to buy online? I tried all the shoe stores near me. After wasting... x amount of time I finally went to the Jewish store.

They're expensive, but they fit you, they have your size in stock, theyre right near my house, and you're in and out in half an hour (if you're not shopping on Sept 1).

I am talking about big kids.

cbsp

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 10:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I real the whole tread.

Geox, Stride Rite, See Kai Run, Armani, Camper, various other good brands can be found for $15-45 at TJMaxx, Marshalls, Northdstrom rack, 6pm. Can buy online and ship back, so can try on at home. Cheap shoes can be found at Target/Walmart. I recently got sneakers for 5.98 which lasted my toddler almost a year. I found natives for everyone for under $20.

Sorry if I ofended anyone. I live in a big community OOT, and I work. We, BH can afford more expensive clothing and what not, but I have never spend more then $30 on a pair of kids shoes, always shop sales, and just scored Issak Mizrahi toddler suits for 21.98$ (3T and 4T). So I really dont get it.....

I'm just wondering, how many children do you need to shop for shoes and how old are they? Are any of them hard to fit?

I would need to order several pairs of shoes for each of my hard to fit kids to hopefully end up with one pair that maybe fits - who's footing that bill? (pun originally not intended).

When and if I shop at a quality "frum" store it's for their fitting service. They spend a ton of time with each kid to make sure the shoe works with their respective situations (2 of them have orthotics which make fitting a nightmare, the other is just a really hard fit). But that service comes with the price of buying at least one pair of shoes.

PS - I've tried the non Jewish stores that really fit well - have you seen the prices of shoes /sneakers at those stores? We don't necessarily come out ahead...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 10:29 pm
BH dont have any special needs for shoes, beside wide, which are available online. Why dont you want to buy online, its so convenient and so much cheaper.

Besides those who need special shoes, I dont see a problem with ordering online. After awhile you figure out which brands work for each kids. Before yom tov I ordered 16 pairs and we kept 4. Return the other 12 to my local marshalls (took 15 min).

cbsp

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 10:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
BH dont have any special needs for shoes, beside wide, which are available online. Why dont you want to buy online, its so convenient and so much cheaper.

Besides those who need special shoes, I dont see a problem with ordering online. After awhile you figure out which brands work for each kids. Before yom tov I ordered 16 pairs and we kept 4. Return the other 12 to my local marshalls (took 15 min).

You had to pay for 16 pairs of shoes!!! At one time!

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 10:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I real the whole tread.

We live a very frugal lifestlye, right here in Brooklyn.
But, b"h for the Jewish shoe stores. The shoes are well worth it.
And things have changesd so drastically the last ten years,
the Brooklynites are no longer winning the materialistic contest.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 10:41 pm
cbsp wrote:

But if you return them quickly on the same credit card statement, then you never lay out the money for the ones you don't keep.

cbsp

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 10:49 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
But if you return them quickly on the same credit card statement, then you never lay out the money for the ones you don't keep.

That's a lot to keep track of. And what if they charge you just when your statement is closing? Or something comes up (like yontif or something else unforeseen) and you can't make it to the store that week? Or you don't have enough credit to pay for all those shoes in the first place? ($30 x 16 = $480, that's without tax).

OP, I'm not trying to talk you out of a system that clearly works for you. You just sounded so bewildered I figured I could shed some light on why that might not work for everyone else.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 10:50 pm
cbsp wrote:

Credit card. It was 490$ Got a 380$ refund when I returned. Whats the problem?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 11:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Credit card. It was 490$ Got a 380$ refund when I returned. Whats the problem?

I have $30 available on my credit card. #povertydoesthat

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 11:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Last year I ordered six pairs of shoes online for one child. None fit, so I had to return them all. And I still had to buy shoes... this year I ordered a wider variety of shoes and b'h one fit. I now have a bunch of shoes sitting in my car that have to be returned by a certain date... I'll probably try to return them tomorrow morning, but what a crazy time to have to return shoes!

And this is only for one kid. Imagine if I would have to buy and return that amount of shoes times X number...

I ordered shoes for my big kids from DSW, none were the right style/fit. I then had to return, plus I ordered some more. Again, they were the wrong size, fit, style... so I made two trips to a store that is NOT five minutes from my house, I had no shoes, and I was now down to the wire as my kids needed shoes ASAP.

If your kids are easy to fit and you find shoes that work for you easily, consider yourself lucky. The rest of us...

Honestly, if I won the lottery tomorrow, the first place I would spend would be shoes in the frum stores. I totally understand those that don't want to deal with the hassle.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 11:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I real the whole tread.

Nobody in town is putting suits on their toddler boys, no matter how designer they are. So there's that. I'm a huge fan of online/frugal shopping, but if you want your kids to fit in with frum trends, there are certain items you can only get locally. Boys shabbos shoes and shabbos tops being some of them. Geox, stride rite, camper sneakers can work well for boys for weekday, but not for girls for school or for shabbos... you get the drift... it's not just about quality, it's also about a certain very specific european look

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Oct 15 2019, 11:14 pm
Ok this doesn't apply to me since only one of my kids wears shoes and I ordered them online but I live in Brooklyn and can totally understand why the frum store is the only option for some people. I don't have a car so shlepping a bunch of kids show shopping to Marshalls, stride rite etc isn't an option. Kids sizes change fast so unless you know how to measure them at home (I couldn't figure out how to get it right) then you need to physically go to a store. There you have it, it just makes more sense for some people. Everyone does what works for them

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:04 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Nobody in town is putting suits on their toddler boys, no matter how designer they are. So there's that. I'm a huge fan of online/frugal shopping, but if you want your kids to fit in with frum trends, there are certain items you can only get locally. Boys shabbos shoes and shabbos tops being some of them. Geox, stride rite, camper sneakers can work well for boys for weekday, but not for girls for school or for shabbos... you get the drift... it's not just about quality, it's also about a certain very specific european look

I get what you are saying and I'm in the same boat because I live in BP but I can't help but laugh. My husband is VERY European if his accent wasn't apparent from a mile away and he is constantly laughing at the in town interpretation of what Europeans wear or wore... I call it the American European look.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:06 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I get what you are saying and I'm in the same boat because I live in BP but I can't help but laugh. My husband is VERY European if his accent wasn't apparent from a mile away and he is constantly laughing at the in town interpretation of what Europeans wear or wore... I call it the American European look.
I laugh at it too, it's not like I'm a huge fan of the look or whatever. Just trying to explain that it's a certain specific look and if you're looking for that you're not going to find it at marshalls

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:16 am
Sounds like OP has little kids. It gets a LOT harder as they grow! And if they have tricky feet (wide is easy unless you're exceptionally wide, many brands make wide versions and many just happen to run wide. Narrow... all I can say is I have a very hard time.) And I don't promote an overemphasis on fashion trends if I can help it, but even to the untrained eye Stride Rite girls shoes are too babyish for older kids.

I spent so much time and money on the wild goose chase of online shoe shopping for one DD and still didn't end up very successful (we did get one fairly inexpensive junky pair but they look like garbage already, the better brands that wouldn't have been garbage didn't fit/were uncomfortable/were nerdy/whatever.) I feel like we're going to end up in Brooklyn very soon. I would have just put up the money in the first place except there were also time issues, especially at this time of year Brooklyn would be a zoo. Hopefully by the time I get there, there will be post-season sales... someone let me know when that's happening please...

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:25 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

What does the look entail for us OOTers?

sky

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:32 am
How old is your oldest?
My 3 yr old doesn’t even get Shabbos shoes. Weekday shoes are Walmart, Carter’s. Well under $30. Her Zara shoes I just got her are garbage.

My bigger girls are much harder. Zara Shabbos shoes look like garbage after a few weeks. School shoes are peeling after 7 weeks of school. At this age their feet grow slow. A pair of $65 Shabbos shoes on sale last over a year and look brand new once they are older. It’s a much better deal then shoes look like garbage immediately and have to be replaced every 3 months. Money wise, time wise and emotion (ever try getting pre-teen girls happy with their shoes).

Saving on their shoes is going to cost me double in the long run. I have lots of regrets this year.

And my boys have very very specific brands and styles in sneakers. I do get great sales. But there is only so much that they are flexible on.
(Eta- my 9 year old is in men sizes already. Men sneakers jump in price tremendously from boys. Especially the popular styles)

I’ve gotten Vennitinni shoes online that lasted but they are hard to find and often final sale (like off saks)

Last edited by sky on Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:38 am
cbsp wrote:

16 pairs online are cheaper than 4 from the Jewish store. And you're getting the money back so what's the issue here.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:41 am
I think we are getting away from my message. This is not about getting the "right" shoe (that concepts escapes me). This is about prioritizing expenses and stretching every dollar....

It seems that families with low-income/low earning potential/lots of expences cannot afford fancy Jewish 120$ pair kid's shoes. Therefore, I thought that finding quality shoes at lower prices, and thereby saving a few dollars would be their #1 priority. If their priority is recreating the above-mentioned "European look" (please do share photos as to what that entails exhastly)...then I am even more confused.

If I have a $100 for groceries for a week for a family of 10, I am not bying steak. I am buying lentils and rice....
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics