Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Best fridge containers for Lettuce, Spinach, Kale, etc?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:30 am
Which containers do you feel make your Lettuce, Spinach and Kale, etc, last longest in the fridge?

Are there good containers that let the wetness drain? Is that important for making lettuce last long?

rivkam

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 2:00 am
I normally wash my lettuce and leave it for a while to dry with one towel under it and one over it. I then put it into a container with paper towels between each layer. It lasts pretty well.

I think I saw in fox something for draining it if you're located in israel. You can also buy a salad spinner to get all the water out.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 11:45 am
In a scientific study on the longevity of greens stored in various ways, the actual type of container made no difference. the best storage seems to be in an airtight container of any sort, ziplock bag, lidded plastic container, glass jar makes no difference, the important thing being the presence of layers of absorbent material to absorb excess moisture. They used paper towels. in the study. Opposed as I am to unnecessary use of disposables, I use clean rags like pieces cut from an old ( well-laundered) cotton shirt or sheet. A layer on the bottom, one on top, and I like to add at least one in the middle, though usually I arrange greens and cloth in layers like a lasagna

You could also lay the washed greens on a clean cotton dishtowel and roll them up. To keep the greens from drying out in longer storage, spritz water on the dishtowel every so often so it's damp but not wet-wet. Even if the greens dry out because you forgot to spritz, that's better than having them get slimy. If they're only a bit wilted, they can usually be revived by immersing for a while in very cold water. If they're really dried out, they can still be used in cooked dishes. Once they're slimy, they're fit only for compost.

I was told by a Tupperware dealer that the secret to longer-lived lettuce is to remove the core. You can then store the head in whatever you like. Tupperware makes a lettuce keeper that provides a little plastic spike to replace the core. I have no idea whether that is of any value or just a gimmick to center the head of lettuce nicely in the bowl. If it does help extend the longevity of the lettuce, I suspect that a little plug of cotton fabric or tissue would do just as well.

Gulabi

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 11:48 am
https://www.amazon.com/Solutio....._dp_2
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics