Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
How long in advance a wedding dress from a gemach in NY?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:29 am
I’m flying from OOT with dd. Will I get the dress if it’s a little longer that two months to the wedding? When do I get the dress? do they tailor it? TIA

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 2:41 am
Usually they give it only a couple of days to the wedding & expect you to return it a day or so after the wedding.
Why don't you call up the gemach to ask their specific terms and conditions? They might be more flexible with you being that you're traveling OOT, not sure but possibly

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 2:57 am
Can I choose the dress in advance? What about alterations. Do I have to come and pick it up few days before the wedding?

Einikel

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 3:16 am
I got a gown at Ehrenfelds gmach in BP iirc the way it works there is that they are open Sunday evenings. No appt is necessary. If you find a gown you like you take it then and there. They offer alterations on a separate day or you can take it to your own seamstress.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 4:15 am
Einikel wrote:
I got a gown at Ehrenfelds gmach in BP iirc the way it works there is that they are open Sunday evenings. No appt is necessary. If you find a gown you like you take it then and there. They offer alterations on a separate day or you can take it to your own seamstress.

Nope, you NEED a an appt at Ehrenfelds.
And no they do not let you take a gown, then and there. One gown can be lent out to a few women, who could be borrowing the same dress a day apart from a Simcha.
I know, because, they called me the morning after my Simcha,( when I planned on sleeping in late & was told to return it a day later) to return the gown ASAP, to be worn by another woman for a Simcha the next night. (if I lived OOT, that would have been a problem)
Also, the gown I used and tried on , fit me on top perfectly, I thought I just needed to fix the hem. When I went to retry the gown on, before the Simcha, they must have let someone else borrow it and they let it out on top. I was so upset, because, I thought I just needed a hem picked up.
If you try Ehrenfelds, just remember if you find a gown, it may already be reserved for the date you need it. or other borrowers who need it back by a certain time, like the next day.
But you won't know till you try the gown on and they look up to see who else has it reserved and if they need it back right away.

Einikel

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 4:21 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Nope, you need a an appt at Ehrenfelds.
And no they do not let you take a gown, then and there. Many of the gowns are lent out to a few women, who could be borrowing a day apart from a Simcha.
I know, because, they called me the morning after my Simcha,( when I planned on sleeping in late) to return the gown ASAP, to be worn by another woman for a Simcha the next night

I’m talking about the Kallah gown gemach. Do you mean the one for mothers and sisters?

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 4:34 am
Einikel wrote:

I’m talking about the Kallah gown gemach. Do you mean the one for mothers and sisters?

Yes, the Simcha Party Gemach.
My mistake, I don't know how the Kallah Gowns work.
But I think you DO need an appointment as there are many Kallahs who come to this Gemach and it would be crazy if a lot of girls show up without an appointment.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 8:47 am
Most Gemachs give you just a short time with the dress but if you're going to Ehrenfelds you may be able to take the dress with you 2 months before. I found a dress and took it home for alterations. I think it was 2 months to my wedding 15 years ago. But I had to return it right away after the wedding. They called me when I didn't and I had to rush it to them.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:56 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Yes, the Simcha Party Gemach.
My mistake, I don't know how the Kallah Gowns work.
But I think you DO need an appointment as there are many Kallahs who come to this Gemach and it would be crazy if a lot of girls show up without an appointment.

You don’t need an appt for the Kallah gemach and yes it is a madhouse.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics