Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Would you name baby in memory of a victim of terroris attack
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:22 pm
Would you consider naming your baby after someone who was killed during a terror attack (whether in Israel or an attack in another location?)

Would it make a difference to you if the victim was a baby?child? Teenager?young adult or older person?

Would you tell others that the name is in honor/memory of someone killed all Kiddish Hashem bc they were a jew or just say you like the name?

Would you tell your other children or that child how the person was killed?

Would you look up more information on the victim and learn where they were from? What charachteristics they had? What ambitions in life they had?

Would naming a child after a victim of terror be any different in significance than naming a baby after a young/old relative that was killed in the Holocaust?

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:27 pm
My brother amd sister in law were killed in a terrorist attack in India- they were the Chabad Shuchim there. Every one of my brothers/sisters has a child named after them and hundreds of unrelated people have been so inspired by them that they have named after them too. It's a tremendous zchus and I think that researching about the person is a wonderful thing. Every time I meet someone carrying my brothers name they want to hear more and more about him..it gives my parents so much strength..

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:29 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
My brother amd sister in law were killed in a terrorist attack in India- they were the Chabad Shuchim there. Every one of my brothers/sisters has a child named after them and hundreds of unrelated people have been so inspired by them that they have named after them too. It's a tremendous zchus and I think that researching about the person is a wonderful thing. Every time I meet someone carrying my brothers name they want to hear more and more about him..it gives my parents so much strength..

I am so very sorry for your loss. May their blood be avenged!

Thank you for posting, this was very moving for me. You should only know simchas.

heidi

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:32 pm
In my opinion it would be a beautiful thing to do and hopefully in some way bring comfort to the family of the victim.
Especially if the victim was a child and/or hadn't left descendants.
There is a phenomenal story (I hope it's true) about a woman whose daughter dragged her to a concert to try to take her mind off the loss of her soldier son. At the concert a woman sitting in front of the bereaved mother mentioned her baby's name. The bereaved mother asked about the name of the baby and the mother said that she had named him in memory of a soldier who had recently been killed. The baby was named for the woman's son.
I get chills everytime I think of the chessed that this stranger did for a grieving mother.
I would add a name signifying bracha or life.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:33 pm
Thank you FranticFrummie! Yortzeit time is approaching and that is always such a difficult time..

singleagain

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:37 pm
heidi wrote:
In my opinion it would be a beautiful thing to do and hopefully in some way bring comfort to the family of the victim.
There is a phenomenal story (I hope it's true) about a woman whose daughter dragged her to a concert to try to take her mind off the loss of her soldier son. At the concert a woman sitting in front of the bereaved mother mentioned her baby's name. The bereaved mother asked about the name of the baby and the mother said that she had named him in memory of a soldier who had recently been killed. The baby was named for the woman's son.
I get chills everytime I think of the chessed that this stranger did for a grieving mother.

Yes, I heard that story too. That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw this question.

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:59 pm
I did. I'm pretty superstitious about names, so I changed it slightly in a way that's very common, but I think of her every time I call my daughter, and I think it's a beautiful name.

Aylat

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:03 pm
I know people who did.

Gulabi

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:08 pm

My daughter is named for your sister in law, her birthday is 26 November, she'll be one year
old then. Of course we will tell her where her name came from, from a beautiful soul.

Wishing you and your family peace in the upcoming few weeks especially

Thank you for posting

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:33 pm
Yes I would. I would probably add a name as well.
I would tell the child only when they're older.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:35 pm
Thank you scottishjewgirl!!! wow! I am very touched!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:35 pm

My two month old is named for Rivky, I'll never forget being in 8th grade during the attack and promising myself that one day I'll name a child for them. I'm honored to have the zchus

rivkam

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:45 pm
I would but I would add a name. I anyway like 2 names. I think it's something really special and being so close to terrorist attacks in israel, it just feels like something you can contribute to the family and to never forget each and every beautiful jew that we have lost.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:53 pm
My son in laws sister was killed in a terror attack in Yerushalyim (Kiriat Malka I think)a few years ago.
He and my daughter named their first child after her; they added a name,the baby is known by her second name,which is her aunt's actual name.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:57 pm
My son is named after Rabbi Moshe Twerski ztk"l.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:58 pm
Thinking of you Tangerine ❤

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 2:27 pm
I have been told that hashkafically you are not supposed to name after someone who was tragically killed not by natural causes. I would ask my LOR before naming after a terror victim

essie14

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 2:29 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I have been told that hashkafically you are not supposed to name after someone who was tragically killed not by natural causes. I would ask my LOR before naming after a terror victim

My entire family is named for people who died in the holocaust. What's the difference?

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 2:34 pm
We were told that when naming after someone who died early or violently, we should not name exactly, but add a name, or use two such people's names together, etc. This is what we have done for people such as Holocaust victims.

May you all be comforted, and be able to see your relatives soon!

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 2:44 pm
heidi wrote:

Dvir Emanuelof- it is true. His mother lives right near me
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names