Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
This breaks my heart
1  2  3  Next

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 11:32 am
Quote:
The teenage boy who was struck by lightning at the Zikim beach near the southern city of Ashkelon yesterday passed away Wednesday afternoon, Barzilai Medical Center announced.

"We regretfully announce that the boy who was critically injured by the lightning strike in passed away a few minutes ago. We share in the family's grief," a hospital spokesperson said.

The deceased, Asher Hazut, was one of five members of the same family who were struck by lightning during a thunderstorm Tuesday afternoon. Asher was critically injured. His sister-in-law was seriously injured, and his three siblings were moderately injured.

http://www.israelnationalnews......70195

I'm trying to think of an appropriate response, a way to channel this grief. Something about that picture really touches me. I can't imagine what the family is going through right now

chestnut

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 11:36 am
Heartbreaking Sad Sad

banana123

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 11:36 am
Rappel wrote:
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/270195

I'm trying to think of an appropriate response, a way to channel this grief. I can't imagine what the family is going through right now.

I don't know how to say this nicely.

But the first day of Sukkot there were thunderstorms. Yesterday morning there was rain and thunder. We all knew - forecasters told us - it had a high chance of continuing throughout the day. Going to the beach in a thunderstorm is unwise, to say it lightly, and that's not rocket science. The lightning struck early afternoon. (Thunderstorms continued into last night and the rain continued this morning as well.)

There was no reason to be out at a beach at that time.

His death is extremely painful and very sad. It did not need to happen and was completely preventable. Not only that, the family struck by lightning forced first responders to endanger their own lives in their efforts to save the family from its own folly. Very selfish.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:01 pm
While tragic, this can happen to anyone if it's their time.

A friend of mine's son was out in the park once, on a lovely clear day. Out of nowhere a few clouds blew in, and next thing he knew he was struck by lightning. A few people nearby called in and B'H he was brought to the hospital on time.

He suffered a massive heart attack, and lost a portion of his lower leg. He almost lost the entire leg, but B'H the doctors would not give up. He was in a coma for quite a while.

Today his is fairly healthy, but needs to be careful of his heart, and walks with a bit of a limp. There was absolutely nothing he could have done to prevent what happened.

My prayers are with this young man's family, and I wish them a refuah shleimah.

PSA: If you get caught in a thunderstorm, and you are on an open hill, PUT DOWN YOUR UMBRELLA! You are basically walking around with a lightning rod. I needed to run errands yesterday, but the lightning was so close, I didn't dare go out with an umbrella because my street is on the top of a high hill.

Rappel

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:36 pm
banana123 wrote:

But the first day of Sukkot there were thunderstorms. Yesterday morning there was rain and thunder. We all knew - forecasters told us - it had a high chance of continuing throughout the day. Going to the beach in a thunderstorm is unwise, to say it lightly, and that's not rocket science. The lightning struck early afternoon. (Thunderstorms continued into last night and the rain continued this morning as well.)

His death is extremely painful and very sad. It did not need to happen and was completely preventable. Not only that, the family struck by lightning forced first responders to endanger their own lives in their efforts to save the family from its own folly. Very selfish.

It didn't need to be said. But what's done is done, and now that kid with the sweet face is no longer here, and I want to do something productive to in his memory.

I came here for ideas, not armchair quarterbacks.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 12:38 pm
Rappel wrote:
It didn't need to be said. But what's done is done, and now that kid with the sweet face is no longer here, and I want to do something productive to in his memory.

I came here for ideas, not armchair quarterbacks.

I know, that face really got to me. I know we shouldn't judge people based on looks, but he's just so pure and innocent looking, such a sweet smile, it went straight to my heart.

Would it be just as tragic if he were an unattractive child? Of course it would, but still, we're human, and his picture just seems to make the tragedy worse.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:04 pm
If you want to do something productive, donate money to an organization that teaches safety, or to one like hatzalah, that responds to emergencies, or sponsor a safety seminar in a school, shul or even your own home.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:41 pm
banana123 wrote:

In the area where we are vacationing (up North, not near this incident), the online weather reports all said sunny, hotter than usual, 0% probability or rain. I checked 3 different sites.

Tuesday evening the weather changed drastically within 30 min and ended in a thunderstorm.

Don't assume everybody knew about the chance of a lightening storm.

Alternative

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 1:44 pm
banana123 wrote:

People in Israel are not aware that you dont go to the beach when it's about to rain. No one I know would even think of it. Maybe this will raise public awareness.

Certainly this isnt the time to start blaming them in any way, even if it makes us feel somehow that we have control.

And in any case, it was a very hot day, perfect for the beach, and the thunder hit suddenly. Not everyone reads weather forecasts before going to the beach, especially if the weather has been exactly the same the past 3 or 4 months.

etky

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 2:40 pm
For what it's worth, I was at the beach yesterday with DH and my youngest DD just when this incident happened. We were at the Ashdod beach and this happened a bit south of us.
The storm did roll in quite suddenly although the sky had been hazy the entire morning, which was a good thing for us as we are not huge sun-lovers.
We were aware of the unstable weather forecast but figured that we would go and leave if the weather turned while we were there, which it did.
It was amazing beach weather, while it lasted, and it was chol hamoed Succot - one of those rare weekday, non-chag, vacation day as well as the final days of the bathing season. Would have been a shame to forgo the opportunity.
Also, as some have already said, Israelis are really unaware of the dangers of lightning. This was very apparent to anyone following the story in the Hebrew media. Readers' responses were of shock and astonishment. There is tremendous ignorance on the topic unfortunately.
We packed up at the first peals of thunder but there were lots of people still in the water even, when we left.

banana123

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 3:32 pm
zaq wrote:
If you want to do something productive, donate money to an organization that teaches safety, or to one like hatzalah, that responds to emergencies, or sponsor a safety seminar in a school, shul or even your own home.

Ooh good idea.

B'Terem is a good organization for those purposes.

banana123

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 3:34 pm
Hmmm Alternative and etky, you're right, Israelis probably know a lot less about lightning safety than those who grew up in rainier countries. Sad that this is what has to raise awareness, but hopefully it will and the death won't be in vain.

heidi

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 3:42 pm
DrMom wrote:
In the area where we are vacationing (up North, not near this incident), the online weather reports all said sunny, hotter than usual, 0% probability or rain. I checked 3 different sites.

Tuesday evening the weather changed drastically within 30 min and ended in a thunderstorm.

Don't assume everybody knew about the chance of a lightening storm.

We were on a hike on the outskirts of Jerusalem. From 10-2 the weather was gorgeous- clear, hot, no wind.
It literally switched on a dime.
The wind picked up 0 to crazy windy within minutes.
Lightening and thunder rolled in.
While we were running for the exit we passed several groups of Israelis calmly walking toward the stream. We tried to warn them but they gave each other those knowing looks - "silly Americans, scared of a little rain".
It rains so rarely in Israel, especially real thunderstorms that as Etky said, I think people have no clue.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 3:44 pm
Rappel wrote:
Quote:
The teenage boy who was struck by lightning at the Zikim beach near the southern city of Ashkelon yesterday passed away Wednesday afternoon, Barzilai Medical Center announced.

"We regretfully announce that the boy who was critically injured by the lightning strike in passed away a few minutes ago. We share in the family's grief," a hospital spokesperson said.

The deceased, Asher Hazut, was one of five members of the same family who were struck by lightning during a thunderstorm Tuesday afternoon. Asher was critically injured. His sister-in-law was seriously injured, and his three siblings were moderately injured.

http://www.israelnationalnews......70195

I'm trying to think of an appropriate response, a way to channel this grief. Something about that picture really touches me. I can't imagine what the family is going through right now

It is indeed heartbreaking. We can say a perek of tehillim for the boy’s neshama and pray for comfort for the family, but ultimately it’s another one of those tragedies which we can’t understand but Hashem decided is what’s needed and best. BDE.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 3:45 pm
banana123 wrote:

It wasn’t preventable if Hashem decided it was the way the boy was meant to pass away. Hashem had a hand in sending them to the beach. The only choices really in our own hands is the choice between doing mitzvah or sin, right from wrong.

banana123

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 3:54 pm
Cheiny wrote:
It wasn’t preventable if Hashem decided it was the way the boy was meant to pass away. Hashem had a hand in sending them to the beach. The only choices really in our own hands is the choice between doing mitzvah or sin, right from wrong.

Hashem expects us to do our histadlut and not rely on miracles.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 4:31 pm
Cheiny wrote:

So can I safely assume that you don’t bother taking your children to the doctor if they’re sick or putting bars on your upper-story windows? After all, if your kid is bashert to crawl out of a window and fall, he’ll fall no matter what you do, right? And your sole responsibility is to make sure your little girl’s knees and elbows are properly covered when she starts climbing, right?

We have a mitzvat asseh ”venishmartem me’od lenafshotechem” which means we are commanded to do whatever it takes to preserve our lives. Taking unnecessary risks is a transgression of that commandment, which is why there are opinions that risky activities like hang gliding and drag racing are assur min ha Torah.

If a person is meant to be niftar on a certain day, it will happen no matter what we do, but it is our responsibility to do all in our power to prevent his death. Otherwise, why would there be a mitzvat asseh to build a parapet (maakeh) on the roof of a house to prevent fatal falls? And a mitzvat lo taaseh, “lo taamod al dam re’echa,“ which obligates us to rescue a person in mortal danger? We don’t say “Meh, if he was bashert to die, he’ll die, no point trying to rescue, and if he was bashert to live, he’ll live, no need to rescue.”

Last edited by zaq on Wed, Oct 16 2019, 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cheiny

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 4:35 pm
zaq wrote:
We have a mitzvat asseh ”venishmartem me’od lenafshotechem” which means we are commanded to do whatever it takes to preserve our lives. Taking unnecessary risks is a transgression of that commandment, which is why there are opinions that risky activities like hang gliding and drag racing are assur min ha Torah.

If a person is meant to be niftar on a certain day, it will happen no matter what we do, but it is our responsibility to do all in our power to prevent his death. Otherwise, why would there be a mitzvat asseh to build a parapet (maakeh) on the roof of a house to prevent fatal falls? And a mitzvat lo taaseh, “lo taamod al dam re’echa,“ which obligates us to rescue a person in mortal danger? We don’t say “Meh, if he was bashert to die, he’ll die, no point trying to rescue, and if he was bashert to live, he’ll live, no need to rescue.”

Of course we are obligated to not engage in dangerous behaviors. We do our hishtadlus but the results aren’t in our hands. As many here said, this storm happened suddenly. Surely if the family had known, they wouldn’t have gone there or stayed there when it became dangerous to do so. Obviously this was a gezeira from Hashem.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 4:36 pm
banana123 wrote:
Hashem expects us to do our histadlut and not rely on miracles.

So are you saying the family caused the boy’s death, not Hashem?

ddmom

Post Wed, Oct 16 2019, 7:03 pm
[quote="banana123"]I don't know how to say this nicely.

Some things are not meant to be said at all.
If lightening is not min hashamayim then what is? Crying
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics